Every Once in a While

2.

Poe's cut wasn't old, which made him lucky. There was no need to drain it, Poe sat perfectly still as I cleaned his wound, not even wincing when I had to apply antibiotic ointment to his cut. I applied a clean bandage and then went to wash my hands.

"That's it?" He asked from behind me.

I nodded, turning, "Yeah, If it starts to bleeds you need to come back so that I can give you a new bandage." I thought for a second, who was I kidding? He was fine, his wound was fresh enough to the point that I knew a good cleaning was all he needed. There was only a small chance that his wound would bleed again.

"Actually, " I started to change my mind, "I can give you some to take back to your quarters. It's probably best, the general made it seem as if you weren't very fond of the med bay." He was standing now, reaching up to touch the fresh bandage that now adorned his neck. He zipped his suit back up, then finally looked up to meet my eyes. I looked away for a moment, reaching over to grab a good amount of bandages for him to take back. I took a step towards him, reaching my hand out.

He shook his head, "I'd rather come back and have you do it." He grabbed the supplies from my hand anyways. "Maybe I'll just request that you come over and help me, if need be."

"Commander Dameron." I jumped slightly, not even aware that there was anyone else in the room with us. I turned to see FX-7, one of the medical assistant droids. I felt flustered even if I wasn't doing anything wrong, it felt a bit as if I was caught doing something wrong.

"Everything okay here, Miss Malek?"

"Oh," I nodded quickly, "Yes." I walked away from Poe, seeing that he had his supplies, I didn't need to be around him for much longer. I had walked out the room, I could hear the faint rolling of the droid close behind me. I stepped aside to let him roll by, watching as he rolled into the surgical department.

"Hey," I felt a hand on my upper arm, "I didn't get to say thank you."

"Oh, it's nothing," I waved him off, "Commander." He pulled a face, scrunching his face up in disgust. He was doing it playfully, if I didn't feel so uneasy I might have laughed.

"You don't have to call me that." He mumbled softly, smiling down at me. Is it hot in here, or am I just imagining things?

"It's your title, isn't it?" I raised an eyebrow, his hand was still on my arm and I just wanted him to let go and retreat back to his pilot duties. Is that what you really want, Isla?

"It is-"

"Then it's only right that I use it," I took a step away from him, he watched and slowly dropped his hand. "You'll have to excuse me, Commander. I've got things to get to." With that I walked away, into the backroom, where he wouldn't see me. I didn't really have things to do, I just wanted to get away from him. I didn't want to get away from him because he was terrible and I couldn't stand him, nothing near that. He was good at making me nervous, I didn't know what to make of it.

He's probably like this with every girl.

He was the best pilot the resistance had, to top it all off he was easy on the eyes. I laughed to myself, wasn't I little too old to let men make me feel nervous and giddy? I thought I was well past that stage of life.

That night while in my room, I couldn't get the commander out of my head. I felt absolutely embarrassed at the fact that I let a stranger have such a deep-seated effect on me. The next morning was a busy one. We were getting a new medic on the base, a human. Not that I was tired of the droids but having another human in the med bay would be a nice change. I've come to realize that droids were very serious, at least the ones I worked with. It was nothing but work related conversations. It became very wearisome and predictable. I was looking forward to have some sort of interaction with our new doctor, I was just hoping that we could talk about anything but work.

"I'm Noa Bast." He gave my hand a firm shake, I didn't even know if I had heard him correctly, there was too much commotion all around us. He was tall, really tall. I didn't want to check him out, but he was standing right in front of me, what was I supposed to do? His bright blue eyes were scanning over my face, obviously waiting for a reply.

"I'm Isla." I said over the buzzing of the droids who were gathered around us, they were the most excited about the new medic.

"Wow, "He had a perfect smile, of course, "That's a beautiful name."

"Thanks." I nodded awkwardly, "I think the med droids are dying to meet you." I added, stepping away from him. Watching with amusement as the droids bombarded the young doctor with various questions. General Organa showed up to meet the base's new doctor, C-3PO by her side. I had imagined the doctor to look entirely different. I thought he was going to be older, and not so handsome.

"I'll give you a small tour," General Organa, motioned for the doctor to follow her outside. She turned slightly, catching my eye.

"Isla, won't you accompany us?" She asked. I wanted to say no, to ask why she wanted me to go along but I knew better than that. I lingered a few steps behind them, hoping they would just forget that I was there. They had stopped as the general motioned towards the port. The crews were washing ships, or doing repairs, with the help of droids. The port was never quiet, and it was never calm. There was always so much to do, I always watched them in awe.

"Unfortunately, most of your patients will be our pilots." General Organa said quietly.

"General." Poe was approaching us, with that smile that reached his eyes plastered on his face. I decided that I wasn't going to make eye contact with the pilot.

"Commander Dameron, just in time to make acquaintance with our new doctor." Noa and Poe shook hands and introduced themselves and talked briefly. I was trying to come up with a good excuse to get back to the med bay. If General Organa had needed to say something to me she would have done so already. Walking around with them seemed useless, I felt out of place. I was glancing back at the medical quarters, longing to be back at work, where I didn't have to worry about bumping into cute pilots.

"You think I can borrow you?" Poe asked, I didn't bother to look at him, hoping he was talking to someone other than me.

"Isla." This time it was General Organa.

"Hm? " I looked over to her, "Sorry, daydreaming." I lied. I guess now I have to look at Poe, don't I? He was staring at me curiously, a smirk on his lips. I frowned slightly, wondering what he was thinking.

"My bandage needs changing." He announced, his suit wasn't fully zipped. I could see the red staining the white.

"Let's go back-"

"I've got some," He interrupted, "Remember?" I do remember. Maybe I was hoping he would just comply so that I didn't have to go over to his room.

"Lead the way." I instructed.

"Don't keep her for too long." Noa interjected. I gave him a puzzled look. I didn't have anything else to do, what was he talking about? I was going to ask why, but I refrained thinking that it might not have been polite. Poe was looking over my head, in the direction of Noa.

He shot him a smile, "Already running a tight ship, huh?" His hand was back on my upper arm, where it had previously been twice before. I didn't have enough time to turn around and catch Noa's expression, Poe was gently leading me towards his quarters.

"Why did you say that?" I asked. He was laughing, he glanced down at me for a moment.

"I don't like the way he said it." Poe stated seriously. "You're still doing your job, it isn't as if I'm whisking you away for fun."

"Right."

BB-8 was in Poe's room, he rolled over quickly, beeping happily when he spotted Poe. He turned his head to me, beeping once.

"Hi." I responded, smiling brightly. BB-8 was a much cuter and engaging droid than the ones I was stuck with back in the medical quarters. Poe took a seat and I disposed of his old bandage and then softly cleaned the wound. There was a knock on the door, I turned, and then looked back down at Poe.

"Could it be your new boss?" He winked. I rolled my eyes when he was no longer looking at me. Could it be? It would have been odd if Noa personally came to Poe's room to ask me to come back to med bay.
It wasn't Noa, it was a girl. The girl from yesterday. She didn't always look so annoyed, I assumed her annoyance was geared towards me. I saw as she looked past Poe and at me. Her slightly smiling face turned sour.

"You've got company." She stated dully. I didn't know what her problem was with me. I didn't even know the girls name.

She likes him, I thought. That would definitely explain the death glares she was sending my way. Why wouldn't she like him? Poe was a very likable guy. Then it occurred to me that maybe she wasn't a girl with a crush, she could easily be Poe's girlfriend. I didn't know anything about Poe, why wouldn't he have a girlfriend? If she was his girlfriend, I unquestionably understood her annoyance.

"Yeah, you need something?" He asked, leaning up against the door frame.

"No," She shook her head quickly, "I'll see you around." She was gone before Poe could shut the door.

"I can do this pretty quick," I ripped open the packaging that the bandage was in, "You can call her back. I'll be outta here in a minute." He sat in front of me, looking up at the ceiling.

"No," He closed his eyes and ran a hand through his hair, "You sort of saved me just now."

"Saved you?" He opened his eyes and nodded up at me.

"From Lorelie." Saved, huh? So then she wasn't his girlfriend. What do you care about whether or not he has a girlfriend, Isla, I don't care, I argued with myself.

"Well, I'm here to help." I smiled slightly, earning a soft chuckle out of Poe.

"I should head back, don't want to be gone for too long." I joked once I was done with him. He didn't laugh at my lame joke, he walked me out.

"Want me to walk you back?" He offered.

I shook my head, "I'm fine, thanks."

"I'll see you around, Isla." He sounded so sure, it wasn't a question, it was a statement. You're looking into things too much.

"I hope so." I said to myself as I made my way back to my work quarters.
♠ ♠ ♠
There isn't enough Poe fics on here, I don't know how to feel about it:c