Every Once in a While

20.

Poe hadn't been back by morning, so I thought it would be best to go into work. I was feeling up for it, and I knew if I stayed home all I would do was think about Poe. I had gone around to look for Jules, wondering if she wanted to spend lunch together. When I couldn't get a hold of her, I figured she had to have gone on the mission with Poe. I had rolled into work about an hour late, but I was almost certain that the droids wouldn't even notice. Instead about questioning why I had showed up late, most of them had asked about Noa and if I knew where he had gone. Or why the 'best doctor they had ever worked with' was sent away, I shrugged off their questions and mumbled about how he wasn't that great. I was still messing around on my tablet, I wouldn't dare ask one of the droids for help, they would only end up teasing me.

I glanced up when I heard the small wheezing of the front doors sliding open, General Organa walked in, when she spotted me she motioned for me to come over to her. I walked over to her timidly, I wasn't sure what she had wanted to discuss but I was already thinking the worst. Had something happened to Poe or Jules? I watched her anxiously, impatiently awaiting whether or not I was right.

"Due to...current threats made to the base-"

"Threats?" I repeated softly.

"No need to worry about it," She smiled. "Due to the threats," She cleared her throat, "I thought it would be wise to get a doctor on the base as soon possible. Even I think it's a bit too soon, but it's what's best. I hope this new arrangement works out for you, Isla. I hope I haven't made you too uncomfortable. " I nodded a couple times, as if that would help me register everything that she had just said.

A new doctor?

I wasn't sure if I was uncomfortable or not, but I guess I was about to find out.

"I'll bring him in." She gave me one last glance, "I understand if you want to take the day off." Maybe I should have stayed in my room, I didn't know how I as going to act around this new doctor, I was thinking it would be best to stay away from him. General Organa walked back in, a man following close behind her. She stepped aside once she reached me, making way for the 'new doctor'.

"Hi, I'm Elliot." I stared back and forth from General Organa to Elliot's extended hand. I shook his hand quickly,

"Hi, I'm Isla." After our introduction, General Organa gave Elliot a small tour, once they were done Elliot walked General Organa to the big sliding doors.

Elliot was tall, probably 6 ft. His skinny form and his tall stature made him seem lanky. He also seemed quite young, he looked younger than me. I guessed that he couldn't be older than 25. He was a bit awkward, and his voice was a bit weird. He hadn't come to talk to me straight away, even after he was done talking to all the droids. Elliot gave off the shy vibes, I would have talked to him first but I was apprehensive after what had happened with Noa.

"Are you a doctor too?" He asked, almost two hours after we had met. I looked away from the manual in front of me, It was a bit uncomfortable to look at him from a sitting position.

I craned my neck, "Just a nurse." The first thing I thought about was Poe, and how he wouldn't be too happy with my answer.

"Just?"

I shook my head, ready to rephrase my previous statement, " I'm a nurse."

"I'm a little nervous, is that bad?" He shifted awkwardly, "Being a doctor on a base...that's a big deal."

"I don't think so, "I assured, "Not trying to add to your nervousness, but you're 'The Doctor'. "

"Right," He nodded quickly, "I'm 'The Doctor'." I was surprised that the droids hadn't been bombarded Elliot with questions, they were probably still hung up over Noa.

"Have you been a nurse on the base for a while now?"

I made an unsure sound, "Almost two years."

"Cool, cool." He nodded. We looked at each other for a moment before I laughed, I couldn't help myself.

"Sorry," He groaned, "I'm bad at this...." He motioned towards me and then back at himself, "Making friends."

"It's fine." I was still laughing, "It's sort of hard to make friends here, especially in the med bay." Elliot and I talked up until it was lunch and I didn't have Jules to spend it with, so I asked if he wanted to join me. We sat in my usual spot, the grassy part on the side of the med bay.

"General Organa didn't make me feel at ease, she gave me a warning about how many pilots could return with serious injuries." He took a bite of his sandwich, "I'm good at what I do, don't get me wrong. I've just never been the only doctor at a facility."

"Let's hope they all get back safely." The last person I wanted to see in the med bay was Poe.

He nodded. We talked about and abundance of things, mostly about how jealous I was that he was lucky enough to snag one of the newer rooms on the base.

"How old are you?" I asked slowly, laughing a bit, "I don't mean to be intrusive, but you just look so young."

He joined in on the laughter, "Yeah, I get that a lot. I'm 24."

"Wow, 24!" I knew he couldn't be older than 25.

It wasn't busy in the med bay, which was always a good thing, and I was just hoping that it wouldn't get busy once everyone got back from their missions. Elliot helped me figure out my tablet, explaining that if he hadn't become a doctor that he wanted to become an engineer, but he wasn't too fond about working on droids.

"I'll see you tomorrow," Elliot waved towards me, "I gotta go this way....to my new room."

I scoffed, "I hope you get lost."

I was making my way to my room before being stopped in my tracks by a tall, running figure. Jules stopped abruptly, stopping just before she collided into me.

"Isla!" She pulled me in for a big hug.

"You aren't hurt!" I exclaimed, pulling away to look her over. She came back in one piece.

"I'm not!" She laughed, "Isla, it was so exhilarating out there! I can't even begin to explain...Before I get carried away I came to find you, Poe is probably going to be held up, you better go say hi now." She had grabbed my hand and pulled me along towards the hangar.

I could spot Poe as we got closer, I could also spot BB-8. Poe seemed to look over in our direction, speaking to BB-8 before standing up. Poe walked away from BB-8 briskly almost jogging,

"Well, he's excited." Jules laughed. "Oh." She stopped pulling me along once Poe and some unfamiliar man embraced. "Guess he wasn't excited for you." She teased. I nudged her, focusing once more on Poe.

"I guess we should let them have their moment."

Jules nodded in agreement, we both watched the two men as they talked with each other excitedly. Once there was a silence between the two men, Jules cleared her throat loudly, earning a look from Poe. Jules still had my hand in hers, we took a couple steps closer.

"Who's your buddy?" Jules asked, looking the man up and down.

"Isla." Poe smiled. He reached out to grab hold of my other hand. Jules looked over at us and dropped my hand.

"This is Finn." Poe beamed, "He helped me...escape." Finn was about the same height as Poe, making Jules the tallest of the bunch.

"From Starkiller?" Jules questioned quickly. I watched as confusion washed over her face. She obviously knew something I didn't because I was absolutely lost.

"Y-yeah." Finn stuttered before clearing his throat, he nodded firmly.

"Yeah?" Jules laughed, "What are you, a stormtrooper?"

"This is Jules, a pilot." Poe said in serious tone, "This is Isla, my girlfriend." Finn stuck his hand out to shake my own and then moved on to shake Jules, who still looked a bit apprehensive. I smiled to myself, very much liking the sound of Poe introducing me as his girlfriend.

"Is that your jacket?" I asked, motioning towards Finn.

"Yeah," Poe leaned over to clap a hand on Finn's shoulder, "Suits him, don't you think?" Poe smiled.

"I said I'd give it back." Finn looked over at me, shrugging the jacket off.

"No," I shook my head, "He's right. It suits you." Finn smiled brightly, standing up straight.

"I gotta head in," Poe cocked his head towards the commanding quarters, "Don't know how long I'll be."

"Okay." I wished that we had been alone, then I would have had a chance to kiss him and tell him how glad I was that he was back. "I saw BB-8." I smiled. Poe beamed, nodding proudly.

"Little guy was with Finn." Poe explained.

"Told you he would be alright."

He pulled me into a hug, holding me tightly, "I hope this won't hold me up for too long, I can't wait to spend some alone time with you." He whispered into my ear, the vibration of his voice against my skin sent chills up my spine. I cleared my throat when we pulled away, I was hoping I wasn't blushing only because I knew Jules wouldn't let it go unnoticed.

"Come find me when you're done, Commander." I whispered so that he was the only one who heard me.

"Yes ma'am." With that he lead Finn away.

"Finn's sort of cute, right? Something's off about him, though." Jules hummed, narrowing her eyes at Finn's back.

"He seemed pretty nice to me."

"Maybe that's why Poe gave him his jacket." Jules and I laughed in unison, "I feel a bromance coming on."
♠ ♠ ♠
Soo looks-wise Elliot totally looks like Pete Davidson, 'cause I think he's a cutie and he looks sort of awkward.

thanks to GlasgowXsmile & pikaponn for commenting, I appreciate you guys!