Every Once in a While

21.

After chatting with Jules for a couple minutes, I thought it would be smart to check back into the med bay to see if we had any new patients come in. Elliot seemed to have had the same idea as I did, he spotted me when I got closer to where he was standing.

"I take it since you're out here," I motioned to our surroundings, "Everyone made it back safely?"

"Nope." He shook his head, "General Organa sent me a message on my tablet, something about one of her good friends, also said he might not be very friendly."

"You can get messages on the tablet?" I asked quickly, eyeing the small gadget that was in his hands. My somewhat naive question earned a laugh from Elliot.

"Of course!"

"I didn't know that." I shrugged, rolling my eyes.

"I'll show ya."

Elliot and I stood outside the med bay, awaiting the arrival of the General's friend. We had been standing around for about 10 minutes before we spotted people walking over. I shook my head slightly, keeping me from letting my mouth hang open in awe. I had never seen a creature so tall before, or so furry. I had to gain my composure, I was sure that the adorable tall creature wouldn't be too fond of me acting excitedly around him, especially when he was hurt. He had a hand over his furry arm, I assumed that was where his injury was. Elliot nudged me slightly, I looked over at him and followed when he motioned towards the entrance of the med bay. Once we were in a room the giant creature plopped down loudly on the edge of the bed, letting out a low growl.

"That's Chewie," The man who had accompanied the tall creature said, "I'm Han." I turned to look at the man, he was leaning against the door way, he was watching whatever Elliot was doing intently, "You hurt him and you deal with me, kid." The man added when 'Chewie' let out a loud growl.

"Han? As in Han Solo? The smuggler?" I let my curiosity get the best of me. The question was definitely intrusive. It was a long shot, but I had only ever heard of one Han in my lifetime and it wouldn't kill me to ask. "Captain of the Millennium Falcon?" Chewie let out a laugh.

The older man smirked, standing tall. "Told you it would catch on, Chewie."

"So you are Han Solo?" I said, mostly to myself.

"The one and only, kid." Han nodded. Once again, I had to remind myself to stay calm. Stories about Han Solo were a constant throughout my childhood, and now here he was, standing right in front of me.

"Your friend is a little...hostile." Elliot snapped me out of my thoughts. I turned away from Han, Chewie was gripping at Elliot's collar, growling.

"Chewie is selective about who he likes." Han said. Elliot beckoned me over, I stayed put. Chewie was huge, the last thing I wanted to do was upset him.

"Isla, come on."

I walked over hesitantly, never taking my eyes off of Chewie. Elliot moved over, "We need to clean up the wound, keep pressure on it-"

"I know where all the supplies are, you can keep pressure on it." I whispered. He only laughed and then moved away from me slowly. I took a giant step forward, reaching up hesitantly. My hands hovered over his wound, I thought since he hand't growled at me that I was in the clear. I pressed against the wound and he shifted slightly.

"How did you get hurt?" I asked slowly. Chewie made endless growling noises, I looked over to Elliot, he shrugged a shoulder. I looked back at Chewie and gave him an apologetic look.

"Some wise guy from Kanjiklub shot at Chewie before we were able to board the Falcon." Han explained. What the hell was a Kanjiklub?

"You understand him?" Elliot asked Han incredulously. Chewie let out a long growl, from his mannerisms I assumed he was offended.

"He can hear you, kid." Han said sternly, "Come back to the command center when you're done here, Chewie." Chewie nodded. With that, Han walked out the room. Elliot was back at my side, I moved over slightly to allow him to do his job. Chewie stuck a furry arm out, placing it on Elliot's chest, preventing him from getting any closer.

"Uh." Elliot took a couple steps back. He let out a low sigh and looked at me for a moment, "Would you feel more comfortable with her doing it?" Chewie nodded, I felt him relax. Elliot handed me everything I needed, standing close by as I got to work.

Chewie let growls of annoyance whenever he felt pain, every once in a while I would catch him staring at Elliot who was standing behind me.

"All done!" I smiled up at the wookie, I made sure his bandage was wrapped tightly around his furry arm, "You only needed two stitches, but it took me longer than usual because of your fur." Chewie nodded knowingly, shrugging a shoulder. Chewie set a big hand on my shoulder, giving me couple pats.

"You're welcome." I figured he was saying thank you. Elliot and I walked him out, Chewie made sure to walk on my left, further away from Elliot. "Come back if your arm is giving you any trouble." I said to him as we walked out.

"You shouldn't do anything to strain it." Elliot added. Chewie looked over my head at Elliot, his blue eyes narrowing slightly. Chewie let out a noise, looking down at me.

"Bye."

Once he was far enough, I allowed myself to laugh.

"What?" Elliot quirked an eyebrow.

"He doesn't like you." I set a hand over my stomach.

"What a blow to my self esteem." Elliot chuckled lightly. The sun had finally started to set and had gotten even chillier.

"Why do you think Han Solo is here?" Elliot asked, no longer chuckling.

I shrugged slowly, I really had no clue. "Wasn't he part of the Alliance to Restore the Republic? Meaning he and General Organa have known each other for years. Maybe he's here to help with whatever the First Order is planning." It seemed logical enough.

"I heard the First Order is attempting to....blow up the base." Elliot mumbled, I almost didn't hear him. We stayed quiet for a couple of seconds, I thought over his words.

"But what do I know, right?" He said, looking over at me.

"That doesn't sound too far fetched. Why wouldn't they try and blow up our base? The Resistance is their only adversary." Now it was Elliot's turn to think over my words, his eyes scanned over my face. I could tell he was waiting for me to say more, maybe to say 'But what do I know, right?'

Elliot cleared his throat, "Do you think we can stop them?"

I shrugged, "Hopefully." We stood there awkwardly, and I had almost felt guilty about what I said.

Elliot laughed, "You really know how to brighten the mood, Isla." I couldn't help but laugh, shaking my head slightly.

"You started it."

"Touché."

After saying our goodbyes, Elliot and I went our separate ways. After our little conversation, I didn't expect to see Poe anytime soon. But, I was wrong. He was leaning against the wall of my room, he was looking down at BB-8.

"BB-8!" I chirped happily, I walked over to small droid, who was just as excited as I was, he rolled over to me, beeping loudly. "I'm glad you're back!" I said, leaning down to touch the small dome.

"You didn't look this happy when you saw me." Poe interjected. BB-8 and I turned to look up at him. BB-8 beeped lowly.

"No, I'm not jealous." Poe said to his droid. BB-8 turned his head towards me and then back at Poe.

"I think he's jealous, too." I said to BB-8, earning beeps that almost sounded like 'I told you so.'

"Alright, buddy. " Poe kneeled down so that he was at eye level with his droid, "Go one and get home, we have a big day ahead of us tomorrow." BB-8 nodded his tiny head, rolling off before I could even say bye.

"You were too caught up in Finn to even know whether or not I was happy to see you." I teased. Poe rolled his eyes,

"I wasn't caught up. I was happy to see him, that's all." I unlocked my door and walked in, holding the door open for Poe.

"Where were you? I saw Chewie walk back so I decided to head over, but you weren't here."

"I was talking to Elliot." I shrugged off my jacket, setting it on my desk chair.

"Who's Elliot?" Poe asked.

"Oh, right." I nodded, no one knew of Elliot other than me. "He's the new doctor, he started today actually. He's nice."

"A new doctor already?" Poe asked slowly.

"Well, with the First Order and all, the General thought it would be smart to have a doctor on the base," I looked over at him, "You should know."

"Speaking of the First Order..." Poe trailed off, his eyes locked with mine, "We're going on a mission tomorrow, I probably shouldn't even be telling you, but you're my girlfriend. I don't want to worry you, but it's a pretty dangerous mission. Not that any of them are safe." Poe was speaking slowly, watching me intently as he went on. "If it goes as planned, I'll be gone for a couple of hours." I stayed quiet, I wasn't sure what to say. I appreciated the gesture, I was glad that he was letting me know beforehand. But that didn't outweigh the weird feeling that had formed in my stomach, of course all missions were dangerous, but Poe was making it clear that this was a little more than dangerous.

"Jules is going too?" I whispered.

"Every squadron." Poe nodded. I bit at my lip, I walked over to my bed, taking a seat before looking back up at Poe.

"I'll be back before you know it, Isla." Poe was attempting to reassure me, I could tell by how quickly he was speaking. "Hey! Before a big mission most of the pilots go to the cantina, it seems a bit contradictory, but it's tradition. I haven't been in a while, we should go. It'll be fun."

"There's a cantina on D'qar?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

Poe nodded, "Of course! The General isn't too fond of it, but she couldn't get rid of them so..."

"Let's go." He walked over, reaching down to grab hold of my hand. "Let's invite Jules and Finn to come along."

"I've never been to a cantina." I protested, "What am I going to do? Get drunk?"

"There's a first time for everything." Poe winked. "And I'd be lying if I said I wasn't curious to see what kind of drunk you are." I nodded hesitantly, letting him pull me up and onto my feet. I wasn't too sure about the whole idea, but if it was what Poe wanted to do, I figured it wouldn't hurt to tag along.
♠ ♠ ♠
gotta thank GlasgowXsmile & pikaponn for commenting, thanks thanks thanks for commenting after every chapter, it makes me so happy!

thanks to everyone who's reading the story, I appreciate it :)