Every Once in a While

3.

My notion on how I would have a cool human colleague was falling short. I didn't know what to make of Noa, he was hard to read. He talked to me quite a lot, but I was still unsure about him. He, also made me nervous, and not in the way Poe Dameron did. It was the way he came across, there was something uncanny about him. He wasn't rude in any way, so I decided to put a halt on judging him, at least for now.

"How old are you, Isla?" He asked one day, leaning against the counter of the desk I was currently sitting behind. His arms were crossed over his chest, stretching the material of his shirt so that it was stretched up against his muscular arms. I glanced up at him, he was smiling down at me.

"Uh," I sat back in my chair, stretching out my legs, "Why do you ask?" I asked defensively. What did my age have anything to do with work?

I'd rather be partaking in one of those boring work related talks with one of the droids,I thought.

His eyebrows were raised, and he cocked his head to the side, studying me. I wanted to ask why he was looking at me like that but I bit my tongue.

"Too intrusive?" He asked, moving so that his hands were resting on the desk, now he was at eye-level. I watched him carefully, he wasn't too close to me but something about it made me feel as if I was being pushed into a corner.

"Didn't anyone tell you that it isn't polite to ask a lady her age?" I uttered quietly. He laughed, standing straight. I felt as if I was coming across sternly, but by the look on his face I could tell that he thought I was joking around with him. An FX droid rolled in, saving me from a somewhat unpleasant conversation.

"May I take these over to the resistance quarters? I've got all the papers together." I asked the droid, reaching over quickly to gather the papers.

"Make sure you set them in General Organa's hands, she wants to review the pilot's medical history." The droid replied. I nodded to indicate that I understood, I stood up and left the room without another glance at Noa. It was a beautiful day out, on days like this I always wished that I was one of the many working outside. I walked leisurely, wanting to get the most of my short time spent out in the warm sun. I let my head lean back a bit, closing my eyes and taking a deep breath in.

"You seem to be enjoying yourself." I opened my eyes quickly, setting a hand over my chest, feeling my now rapid heart beat.

"You scared me, Commander." I breathed out quickly.

Poe chuckled, looking apologetic, "You don't have to call me that-"

"Not this again." I waved him off quickly.

His eyes widened, obviously surprised, "I could just command you to call me by my first name." I stared at him for a long while, expecting him to chuckle or to smile. He was being serious, and he was also right. He could command me to do anything.

Is that an euphemism, Isla? I shook my head slightly, trying to clear my mind.

"Well, are you, Commander?" I asked slowly. That earned a big smile, that signature smile.

"No," He clapped his hands together, still smiling at me, "Friends don't have to use titles. Especially if no one else is around." Friends? Was he saying that he considered me to be a friend?

"We're friends?" I blurted out stupidly.

He reached out to touch my upper arm, "Of course, Isla." He patted my arm, and then playfully frowned. Feigning a hurt look, "Or so I thought."

I laughed softly, "Okay, we're friends."

"Isla, weren't you supposed to get those papers to General Organa?" My laughing came to a halt, glancing over my shoulder at Noa. What was he even doing out here?

"I'm heading over there-"

"My fault." Poe interjected. He gripped my arm tighter, pulling me slightly so that we were standing side by side. "Had to come greet my buddy." He hugged me into his side. If it weren't for Noa giving us an objectionable look, I might have been able to reel in the nervous delight I was feeling.

"Hey," Poe looked down at me, he was closer than he had ever been before, "You get a break, right? When is it?"

"Uh-um. After I get this done, actually." I stammered shyly.

Another soft squeeze, "Do you want to hang out for a bit?" He whispered.

"Yeah," I nodded softly, "I'll be right back." My hand motioned towards the resistance quarters. Poe smiled, dropping his hand.

"I'll wait here for you." He wasn't whispering anymore, he said it loud so that Noa could here. I nodded at him before turning on my heel and walking towards the quarters. I bit my lip, glancing back quickly to see that Noa was following.

"Called in to have a word with the general about some of her pilots." He said, probably sensing my confusion. I didn't say anything. I sped up a bit, mostly because I didn't want to talk to him.

"So, you seem to be cozying up with the Commander." He stated accusingly. I turned slightly, glaring at him. I didn't know what to say that, what was I supposed to say? I didn't like his accusatory tone, but I didn't know whether it was right or not to say what I really wanted to say.

Why is it any of your business?

"I don't think this conversation is appropriate for work." I asserted. I managed to reach the quarters before he did. I scanned the room hurriedly, not wanting to be in the same space as Noa. The general seemed to be busy, which made me lucky. She thanked me for the papers and then excused herself. I passed Noa as I made my way back outside. There was definitely something about him that was off, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

I made my way back to where Poe said he would be waiting for me, feeling a teensy bit overjoyed. I smiled as I stopped in front of him.

"What's that smile for?" He asked softly, "From getting away from that new doctor, or for getting to hang out with me?"

"I hope it's for getting to hang out with me." He added quickly, grinning.

He spoke once more, not letting me answer. Which I was thankful for, I wasn't ready to admit that I was joyous over the mere fact of getting to hang out with him.

"What did he say?" He asked, "He followed you in, I was curious." He shrugged a shoulder. I could lie, I could easily make something up but nothing was coming to mind.

"He thought I was 'cozying up with the Commander'" I used my fingers to make air quotes. Poe looked confused and then his features hardened.

"He really said that?" Poe said, mostly to himself. I nodded even though he wasn't looking at me. He was looking behind me at the resistance quarters, to where Noa currently was.

"That's bad, isn't it?" I asked quietly. Maybe hanging out wouldn't be such a good idea. I didn't know if the pilots had any rules, any less the Commander. Maybe they weren't allowed to build relationships.

You mean friendships.

Yeah, friendships.

"Maybe we should stop bumping into each other." I suggested. Poe's features softened, he looked over at me quickly.

"Don't be silly." He laughed. "I'd rather stop bumping into that guy." He jerked his head to the left, towards the resistance quarters. He reached his hand out, palm up.

"You hungry?"

"A little." I nodded. He wiggled his fingers on the hand that was extended towards me.

"People will really think I'm cozying up with the Commander if I take your hand." I protested. Poe wiggled his eyebrows at me, never dropping his hand.

Just take his hand, you know you want to.

"Hand is getting tired over here." He reached over and grabbed my hand, lacing our fingers together. My hand felt really small in his. They were warm and much rougher than mine. I glanced around us quickly, expecting to see someone staring at us. Maybe I was just looking out for Noa, if he saw us, he would probably have something to say about it.

Surprisingly, no one was watching us. I eased up a bit, now focusing entirely on the fact that my hand was intertwined with Poe's.
♠ ♠ ♠
thank you GlasgowXsmile for commenting, your comment made me super happy! ✨