Status: in progress. please feel free to comment.

If I Was Your Vampire

Fireworks

Christmas and New Years we spent with my dad and sister, Caroline and Stefan. It was the first time in ages that I felt like I was a part of a family. On New Years eve Damon broke into the empire state building and we watched the fireworks from one thousand feet up. As we sat there, his arm securely around my shoulder and my head resting on his chest, he pulled something out of his pocket and slipped it into my hand.

It was a key.

I looked up into his face, his cocky half smile driving me insane. "I'm officially asking you to live with me." He said huskily and I nodded my head, kissing him in response.

The next day we said goodbye to my father and Britt, who were in the process of packing to move to Mystic Falls. Caroline convinced them they needed a fresh start- and I needed family in my life.

"Look" Caroline said while driving, "we are your immortal family but you do need your biological family. They are going to die. Wouldn't you rather know them? Eventually you will have to tell them. I will help you. Plus your sister will have kids, who will have kids, so on and so on. You can watch over them."

"Too many Anne Rice books.... calm down Blondie. It's gonna be okay..." Damon kissed my head, pulling me close to him. "We can just compel them.." he added, winking.

"Why are you too so chipper this morning, what did you do last night?" Stefan added turning around and watching Damon and I kissing and laughing.

"Had sex in the empire state building. What did you two do last night?" I said laughing.

"Went to bed early."

"Damon laughed loudly, "you two are so old and boring!!"

"Are not!" Caroline shrieked.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Damon's P.O.V

Tomorrow is the last day of school. I had plans for Bella, and I couldn't wait to do them. The last six months has been perfect. Stefan and Caroline have been really supportive and... except for the occasional drama, it's been great.

Last week Mark, Bella's dad, and Brittany officially moved into Carolines old house. Britt has already been arrested for underage drinking- but we decided to keep it from Mark. He just didn't need that stress with his bad heart.

I walked thru the woods, going to a place I have not been in since my last bender. The animals called to one another about the predator lurking in their midst. The green canopy shielded me from the sun and I could smell the water as it ran thru a stream nearby.

Finally I was face to face with the crypt. I walked in the door and felt a pang of guilt in my chest, for falling in love with someone else. I sat down beside her coffin, running my fingers along the top like I have a million times. I came here to say goodbye. I came here to tell her I was sorry. I came here to let go of the anger and the guilt and the blame. I came here to tell her I'm moving on.

I took off my leather jacket, laying it beside me on the concrete floor. I pulled out a bottle of bourbon and took a large drink, allowing the pain of those many years come back to me. Allowing the anger of those three years to surface. Allowing tears to run down my cheek.

She would be so angry that I moved on. She would have wanted me to wait for her. And I did. Till Bonnie died I was a faithful man to her. Then she died and I was left hollow. I can still feel it. I can still think back on my hollow exsistance.

Even before it was nearly impossible to be with Elena. We were bad for each other. She hated being a vampire. She never embraced her nature. Sometimes I felt we were a sinking ship and at others our love was a typhoid. Only we could be happy and everyone else suffered because of it.

Arabella wants to be a vampire. She fully accepts me and we are madly in love. Even when it's all going wrong she has my back. This weekend she was being turned and I was proposing to her. We are going to have a happily ever after. I didn't even know it was possible for me to be happy until I met Bella.

"I'm sorry Elena. I'm sorry that your dead. I'm sorry that I couldn't save you. I'm sorry that I moved on. I love her Elena. Maybe more than I loved you. Being with her is so easy. You would like her"

I wiped the tears from my eyes and pulled her necklace of my pocket, opening the casket to lay her pendant with her. As I opened the lid I fell back, holding onto my chest... eyes wide in disbelief.

Inside, lay Elena.