Status: in progress. please feel free to comment.

If I Was Your Vampire

Welcome to Mystic Falls

I arrived to Mystic Falls the next morning. I was exhausted, but wanted to get my new life in order as quickly as possible. I had taken money out of the account every time I stopped for gas, and had nearly forty grand by the time I arrived. I stopped at a convenience store and bought a paper, locating a home for rent and calling them with the new phone I got at south of the border. Luckily they could meet with me so I drove to the address they provided.

The town seemed quiet, people busy beginning their days. The homes were all beautiful and it was nice to feel the warm breeze instead of the cold winds of New York. A very beautiful blonde met me at the home. She waved politely as I stepped out of the car and then shook my hand.

"Hi, I'm Caroline. What's your name?" She said sweetly as she unlocked the front door and led me inside.

"Arabella." I said politely, following her inside.

She showed me around the home. Two baths, three bedrooms. It was a perfect place to lose myself. Now I just needed to find a job.

"So how do you feel about it?" Caroline said as we stood in the living room. "Is it just for you or do you have a family?"

"Just me." I said. "Do you accept cash?"

"Oh yeah. Rent is one thousand a month, utilities included." She said smiling at me. "Funiture is all included too. I have not lived here in a few years but I couldn't bare parting with this stuff."

"Perfect. I didn't buy any yet." I responded, trying my best to smile. "Pet friendly?"

"Sure. Just replace any furniture that gets messed up while your here."

"Ok. I just want a guard dog. A big, mean guard dog." I said laughing.

"I have a big mean brother in law you can use." She said winking. "So what line of work are you in?"

"I was a history professor in New York. I have not taught in a year but I miss it."

"Oh well it's not as fancy but the high school is looking for a history teacher. I would be happy to call over and recommend you now if you would like." I nodded and she took out her phone and within twenty minutes I had a job at the school. All I had to do was go meet the principal. I didn't know how to thank this girl whom I barely knew. While she spoke I walked around the living room. The flowers were fresh in the vases, not a speck of dust was anywhere I could see.

"I don't know how to thank you Caroline. I am in your debt." I said smiling. "I gotta ask- did you recently have this place cleaned? I don't see any dust- it's pristine."

"Oh ever since I left I come by every day and clean. It's no big deal. This is where I grew up. I just want to take care of it." When she spoke I could see pain in her eyes and I was surprised to see this seemingly happy girl had suffering in her life. Maybe she saw the same in me- and that's why she is helping me. I didn't ask- and she didn't offer- but I was sure my bruises on my face and neck were still visible. The rest of me was covered in clothes- despite the hot temperatures.

I handed Caroline the first months rent who gave me a quick hug before giving me the key and leaving. I was thrilled to be alone and get unpacked. I took a long shower, trying desperately to wash the memories of my past away- before putting on clothes and makeup- and heading to the school. The principal was a nice woman in her forties, seemingly exhausted from hours of dealing with delinquent adolescents. I was thankful for the opportunity to work at her school and took the job happily.

Feeling a little overwhelmed I drove into town and stopped for a drink and lunch at a place called "Mystic Grill". Seeing a bar I abandoned my need for food and ordered a bourbon. I pulled the book "Call of the Wild" by Jack London out of my bag and began reading it for the hundredth time, so I can drink in peace. A book says 'leave me alone' more politely than I can.

The restaurant itself was fairly busy, high school students enjoying their lunch hour it seemed, but the bar was completely deserted except for one man in a black leather jacket, incredibly perfect chiseled features. He seemed to be drinking his anger and pain away as well.

This routine slowly became my life. I woke up, went to work- teaching young minds about the past- and then off to the bar, to drink until closing. Home to sleep, repeat. I didn't need a friend- I didn't even see Caroline much just left the money in the living room on the shelf and she came and got it. I didn't want to get to know anyone- what was the point? They would eventually hurt me and I couldn't take that type of pain..... ever....... again.