Status: in progress. please feel free to comment.

If I Was Your Vampire

A Look Back

The grandfather clock struck midnight as Damon and Alaric cheered and took more shots. Most of the guests had already left the party, it seemed the supernatural patrons were the ones really hanging on at this time.

I sat on the porch, in jeans and a white tank top, bottle of tequilla in hand, talking to Elijah, of all people. He was glad to meet and marry me- since a ceremony performed by a member of the original family is supernatural acceptable- but also because the last time he saw Damon- he wanted to become human and have babies with Miss Gilbert, as he called her.

"I am glad Damon has found himself again within you- but I must say when Niklaus told me he had moved on I was shocked. I pined over Katerina Petrova for hundreds of years."

"Do you mean Katherine Pierce? Damon and Stefan's Katherine?!"

"Well yes. Why do you find this suprising?" He said smiling at me and I laughed.

"I guess just find it funny there is six billion people on this planet, probally only a few hundred vampires, and most of you chose the same one to fall in love with."

"Ah. Yes. I can see why you find that amusing. But it is more than that. It is the doppleganger bloodline that attracts us. As long as Elena lives another will not be created."

"Poor Elena. I wish I could help her." I said shaking my head and looking at her sitting in the grass out in the yard.

"I could compel her to forget him if you wish. I could compel him as well." Elijah suggested and I shook my head.

"No. The easy way is not what's best." I said as Damon came out front, kissed me on the cheek and walked out into the yard to sit with Elena. "Those two need to figure it out and I can not interfere. I love Damon so much but I gave him opportunity to go back on marrying me when she arrived. I was turned already- but he swore himself to her and I didn't want to stand in the way. I couldn't even imagine a human Damon. Or a vampire Elena." I said laughing. "I bet their love was one for the storybooks. One of passion and struggle. Observatories he has told me, the memories he has shown me...." I paused, watching Damon rub her back as they spoke. I felt the urge to eavesdrop but resisted.

"Then what is your love, do you think? From what he tells me- and what Caroline and Stefan have relayed to me, it is very special." Elijah said, looking concerned as to my answer. I could see now how special this man was- and why Caroline insisted he marry Damon and I as he did her and Stefan. Apparently it took many, many years to bring their family and this family close as allies- and they requested overseeing things like marriage in exchange for a mutual respect. Elijah Mikaelson was wise, Klaus was power and Rebecca was vicious- and beautiful.

"Our love is plenty passionate, but its easy. We love each other and take care of each other... just always together. I love that it's easy. We are always open and honest with each other- and we just work perfectly"

"Your love is the kind we all hope for, trust me darling" Klaus said coming out front and standing in front of me, taking my bottle and taking a long drink- all the while staring back into the house. "Most of the time we see it and don't let love see thru all the bad- and we can't just love each other." I looked behind where I was sitting- to see what Klaus was looking at while he spoke- to see Caroline sitting on Stefans lap, laughing as he spoke in her ear. "If you can see all his evil, and he can see all your evil- and you can accept it and still love him unconditionally- it's perfect love."

"Are you referring to me and Damon, or you and Caroline?" I said looking back at him with an amused look on my face.

"Trust me darling- true love isn't hard. You don't have to constantly fight for it. You accept and embrace it and enjoy that its your one. We all only ever get one. Enjoy it love." Klaus replied with a coy smile, handing me back my bottle and walking with Elijah and Rebecca out to their car to head home.

I went inside to give Damon and Elena some space, and rejoined Bonnie and Caroline in glasses of wine and stories of the past. An hour later Damon and Elena entered the house, laughing like old friends. We moved our now small party to the living room- where we met up with Alaric and Stefan.

"All right Blondie- pull out the shot glasses. Lets play never have I ever for old times sake." Caroline cleared the table, laying out shots for everyone and we all sat around on the floor. "Alright my blushing bride- your up first." Damon said kissing me sloppily on the cheek.

"Never have I ever had sex with an original vampire" I said looking at Caroline who groaned and drank her shot.

"So unfair!! But now its my turn. Never have I ever come back to life."

"Drink up blondie. Vamping back to life is vamping alive!" Damon laughed as Caroline cursed.

"Never have I ever had sex with Damon" Stefan said and we all drank except himself and Alaric. "Bonnie?"

"What?! We were alone together like ten years ago.... drunk.... during a snowstorm.... it was...we were....."

"Really, really drunk" Damon finished, winking at her. "And it was.... really. Really. Hot. Huh bon bon??"

"Ok, my turn. Never have I ever lived in the nineties."

"You, Bella, are evil" Elena said as they all drank.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The night didn't end till dawn- when Stefan and Caroline left to drive Bonnie home to Atlanta. Elena decided to go home with her for a while so they could catch up.

Alaric decided to head back to New Jersey, to pack up his apartment and relocate to Atlanta- so he could take the job running the American Occult and Folklore Department at Georgia State University. Plus he wanted to keep an eye on Elena.

For the first time as a married couple, Damon and I were alone.