Status: in progress. please feel free to comment.

If I Was Your Vampire

Making A Friend

It's been a week since the incident at the bar and I have not left the house. Most of my time I devoted to drawing and painting, quite often of Damon. When I woke up in his bed last week Caroline was there. She filled me in a little about Damon and why he's afraid of me.

Caroline told me that Damon spent his life in two serious relationships, both of which ended in the death. She says the Damon she met when he first came to town was fun and easy going, a bad boy of sorts. But the Damon she has seen since their best friend Bonnie and Elena died- he is this depressed shell of who he was. Then she took me to get my car and I went home.

I put in my headphones and got on my treadmill. I was in good shape, boxing, pilates, running, mixed martial arts. All those times he hurt me I could of beat him down- but he was my instructor.. my mentor.. long before he was my lover. I knew he could kill me- and he knew I would not ever fight back. Now I need to train- I want my power back. I don't need a man to take care of me- and this is how I need to fix my life. Healing starts internally.

Three hours into practicing, while beating the crap out of my punching bag out back, I heard a banging at the front door. I ignored it and kept going, hitting harder and moving faster. My skin was covered in sweat, my sports bra and yoga shorts not leaving much to the imagination.

It was then I saw Caroline on the other side of my punching focus. I stopped, out of breath and pulled my ear buds out of my ears. Caroline bend down and handed me my bottle of water. I took a long drink and smiled at her.

"Sup landlord?" I said and she shook her head.

"Wanna go to a ball? I run the founders ball every year and I wanted to deliver your invitation. I'm sure I can find you a dress if you don't have one- it's tonight." She said. "Please come it would mean so much to me."

"I don't know Caroline. It's awfully short notice."

"I'm sorry ......." She pouted. "Your coming. Damon's going. Wearing a tux and all. You gotta come"

"Why do I have to come?" I said sitting down in the grass.

"Because..... Damon's only going because I told him you were coming. And I have a feeling you will come to see him."

I rolled my eyes but I knew I was smiling so hard my cheeks hurt. I desperately wanted to see him again. I stood up and walked inside, Caroline in tow. "Let me shower and then I guess we can go dress shopping." I said and she squealed with joy.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Damon's P.O.V.

"That was Caroline on the phone. She said Bella is going tonight. She told Caroline she was hoping to see you." Stefan said causing me to groan loudly.

"Dammit Stefan!!!! I told you I'm no good for her. What do you think she will do when she finds out were vampires, huh? I mean Caroline compelled the ENTIRE town to think we are normal and to make no one believe in Vampires or werewolves. I am on the founders council remember? They are brainwashed. But I like this girl. I can't lie to her."

"So tell her brother, when the time is right. And your going to the ball- so get ready beast. Go meet your Bell."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Arabella's P.O.V.

The mayor's mansion was decorated beautifully. I arrived promptly at six pm, to meet Caroline out front. I wore an off the shoulder light blue dress and blue heels to match. My brown hair was in spiral curls and pinned back from my face. I greeted my new friend and her husband before walking inside.

While Caroline did her chairman duties Stefan introduced me to the Mayor and his wife. It was at that moment I saw Damon. His hair was gelled back and he was wearing a tuxedo. My breath was caught in my throat as our eyes met and he approached me. Damon kissed my hand before holding out his arm, which I slipped my hand around and Stefan excused himself.

Damon and I made our rounds through the party, he introduced me to a lot of people and I ran into a lot of my co-workers and the principal. I could tell they were surprised to see not just me being here, but who I was with. As dusk began to set the ball was underway.

"Would you like to dance?" He said and I nodded as he led me to the dance floor. I put my hand around his neck and my other in his. He smiled at me, then whispered in my ear, "your the most beautiful woman here in case you were wondering. You clean up nice- not covered in blood and stuff."

I laughed and replied. "You don't think the bloody and beaten look works on me?!" As he shook his head I laughed. "You clean up nicely too. You almost pass for a gentleman." I said winking at him.

As we danced our eyes locked in place with one another. I racked my brain for something to say but all I could think about was how much I wanted to kiss him. After the song he took my hand and we walked away from the crowd and down by the lake. Here, where the only light was,the moonlight, it was quiet and I knew it was now or never.

"I like you Damon." I blurted out and he sighed loudly, dropping my hand from his and turning to face me.

"I like you too Bella." He said and then, looking angry continued. " I am so bad for you."

"Cant you let me decide what's good for me?!" I replied. "I'm not a child."

"You don't understand- everyone I love.... dies. I would prefer if you stayed alive." He said and looked sad. "I want to kiss you, but I'm trying to spare you." He added angrily, walking a few steps from me.

"Dont you think it's better to die happy than die alone? Who the hell wants to be alone? I don't! Don't decide my future for me!" I said loudly, now angry as well.

"If you knew who I was, the things I have done, the paths,I have taken- there will be a part of you who will hate me. Even Elena would be horrified by some of my actions." Damon replied a little quieter, looking almost horrified that I responded this way.

"I'm not Elena." I said quietly and began walking away from him but he grabbed my hand.

"Hey. I'm sorry. I know. I'm just...... oh Fuck it." He said and then kissed me, long and hard. One kiss turned into another and another. As we made out, I knew I was not giving up so easily. "You wanna get out of here? Go back to my place? While the happy couple is busy here?" He said and I nodded, kissing him again before following him to the cars.