Sequel: Flood

Tornado

Ryder

The next week was devoted to relief efforts. I helped a lot with the homes near us that were damaged. I had some experience in carpentry and mostly repaired roofs. Zachary wasn’t doing much in the office; he, too, was working on relief efforts but down in the hospital rooms. He walked among all the patients.

I hadn’t heard from Juniper except for once to tell me she still had my jacket and she wouldn’t be at the office. I didn’t ask why and told her to hang on to the jacket until we saw each other again.

I was hammering some shingles when a woman came over with lemonade. It was her house and her eyes, like all those around us, were red.

“Here,” she said in a choked voice.

“You didn’t have to,” I said but took it anyway.

“It’s the least I could do.” She looked around at all the people helping. “This is what I love about Oklahoma.”

“What do you mean?” I asked, standing to stretch my legs.

“We pull together in a crisis,” she answered. “You’re not from here, are you?”

I shook my head. “I moved here from Las Vegas a month ago.”

She laughed dryly. “Welcome to Oklahoma. It isn’t like this all the time; just for two months.”

“The man I work with said it hasn’t been this bad in two years.”

She nodded. “It hasn’t.”

We stood in silence, watching the other workers helping the woman’s neighbors. When my glass was empty, I handed it back to her.

“Thanks. Let me finish your roof here.”

“Thank you,” she whispered.

“Careful on your way down,” I said and picked up my hammer again.

I was in a white t-shirt and khaki shorts. To my surprise, it was now warm like spring should be. No one else seemed surprised so I assumed that’s just how it was here. When the roof was done, I climbed down the ladder and went to the unofficial foreman.

“Where to next?” I asked as a news crew pulled up.

The man frowned. “Vultures,” he mumbled.

I watched as they set up their cameras and a news reporter started talking.

“I’m sure they just want to show how Oklahomans pull together,” I said, remembering what the woman had said.

“And anything for a good story,” he sighed. “You from here?”

“No. I just moved from Las Vegas.”

The news reporter’s head snapped when she heard that and she beckoned for the cameraman to follow.

The man snorted. “Looks like you’re up.”

I groaned. “Do I have to?”

“I’m afraid you don’t have much choice,” he said as they approached us.

“My name is Jenny. I’m with News Channel 5. Do you think we could interview?”

“Um,” I hesitated but I knew they were live. “Yeah, I guess.”

“You said you’re not from Oklahoma,” she began and I nodded. “But you’re out here anyway.”

I nodded. “It’s the humane thing to do; help your neighbors.”

“Where were you when it hit?”

“Home,” I shrugged.

“Where do you live?”

“I don’t feel comfortable answering that,” I said, eyeing the camera and she forced a smile.

“Well, what are your plans?”

“Just helping people get their homes back,” I answered, ready for this to be over. “I’ve been told several times that Oklahomans pull together in a crisis.” I spread my arms out and gestured to all the workers. “I know now that it’s an incredibly true statement.”

“Have you witnessed something like this before?”

“No….”

“Does it fascinate you?” she asked, her eyes telling me to say yes.

“Not really,” I answered and her smile faltered. “Seeing damaged homes, hurting families, and all the people at the hospital makes me sick more than anything else. Please excuse me. I’m going to see if they need me somewhere else.”

I walked away, shaking. The man was right. They were vultures.

-

As I headed home, my phone rang, and Juniper’s name popped up.

“Hey,” I muttered.

“I saw you on the news,” she said and I kicked a rock.

“I’m pretty sure I’m on that woman’s hit list now.”

She laughed a little. “Well, I wanted to tell you that a lot of us agree with you.”

“I couldn’t believe her! She obviously wanted me to say I was fascinated!”

“I warned you: a lot of people are chasers here.”

“I suppose….”

“I was supposed to cook dinner for Lisa and Jennifer tonight but they canceled last minute. Do you want to come over?”

I perked up. “Sure. What time?”

“Is 6:30 possible?”

I looked at my watch. It was 5 which gave me plenty of time to shower.

“It’s perfect. See you then.”

I jogged the rest of the way home. A lot of people were looking more optimistic now that the initial shock of the tornado was over. Even Juniper sounded happier which took me by surprise. But, one thing I’ve learned this week, is that Oklahomans are strong.

-

I knocked on her door an hour and a half later. I had changed into a pair of jeans and a black shirt. On the way, I had picked up a bottle of wine. She opened the door and smiled at me, stepping aside. She was in a pair of jeans, too, with a blue shirt.

“Thanks,” she said when I handed her the wine. “I’m just finishing up the potatoes now. Make yourself comfortable.”

She went back into her kitchen. I looked around again. Everything looked relatively the same except for some blueprints pushed at the end of the table. I couldn’t really make out what was on there but it wasn’t my business anyway. Draped over one of the chairs was my jacket in a dry cleaning bag.

When she came out, carrying a platter of chicken fried steak, I helped her with the hot pad so it wouldn’t burn the table. She hurried back with mashed potatoes, corn, and gravy.

“I remember you saying that you didn’t like eating messy food,” she said, “so I figured I’d make something not messy.”

I smiled. “It smells and looks great.”

“Thanks.”

“So how have you been?” she asked, taking a bite of the chicken fried steak.

“Good. I’ve been doing a lot of work with helping neighborhoods,” I said. “Oh wow. This is delicious!”

She smiled proudly. “The news reporter you were talking with is a disaster chaser,” she sighed. “She just loves going out to wrecks and expects people to give them terrible stories. I think you’re the first one not to.”

I shook my head. “It was awful. What about you?”

To my surprise, she beamed. She gestured to the blueprints. “We’re rebuilding the restaurant.”

“Really?” I asked. “Isn’t that pricey?”

“We’re all working together,” she said and her eyes misted over. I poured the wine. “The cooks and waitresses are all chipping in with supplies, money, and manpower. They’re such faithful people. Have you been in the office yet?”

“No. Zachary is working with the people who are injured so he told me to do what I wanted, knowing that I’m good with a hammer.”

“It’s great of you to help us,” she said seriously.

“Like I said, it’s the humane thing to do.” I winced and looked at my arm. “Jeez. I never tan, I always burn.”

She laughed and went into her bathroom. “I’m the same way. That’s why I always carry Aloe Vera with me. I know it’s pretty commonplace but it does a great job. Where’s the burn?” she asked, sitting beside me.

“Just my arms from what I can tell,” I said, suddenly nervous at how close she was.

“Let me see your neck.” I obeyed. “Yep, you’re burnt back here, too. Good thing you were wearing a hat or your face would be just as bad.”

I only laughed and stayed still as she but the gel on my arms. She hummed as she worked and I was glad to see that she was emotionally better. When I saw her so upset, she reminded me of my brother. She squirted out a decent amount for my neck.

“Is it bad back there?” I asked.

“Very. Did you have your head bent?”

“Yeah. I was repairing roofs.”

She nodded. “Deep breath.”

I obeyed and hissed as she gently rubbed the gel along the back of my neck and around the sides.

She clicked her tongue. “Did you wear any sunblock at all?”

“I did a little,” I lied and she raised an eyebrow at me.

I chuckled and our eyes met. Her fingers were still rubbing the gel in but slowly came to a stop. My heart was pounding in a way it hadn’t in a long time. I gulped and put my hand on her cheek. She looked just as nervous as I was as we leaned forward. She closed her eyes as I pressed my lips against hers. Her hand slid from the side of my neck to the back, moving herself closer. I wrapped an arm around her waist, caught up in the moment. I turned completely in my chair and put my hand in her hair as she nibbled on my lower lip. I opened my mouth and our tongues moved together. Her mouth tasted of wine and the potatoes. It was a pleasant combination.

She was the one to break away, our eyes locking again.

“So does that count as dessert?” she whispered and I laughed.