Sequel: Flood

Tornado

Ryder

I recognized Heath right away even though he wasn’t in his scrubs. While Juniper got in the car, chatting with Zachary, I waited until Heath was gone. Part of me debated on telling Juniper about my first conversation with Heath but thought better of it. It would just make her angry.

It had been Zachary’s idea to go to the Brewery. I didn’t know much about it other than the fact it had, well, beer. When we got in, it was crammed with people. The host took us to a booth and I sat beside Juniper. For some reason, she moved away and I stared.

“I stink!” she said indignantly and I laughed.

“Nah. You smell just fine.”

Zachary ordered a Blue Moon and I scrolled through the different types of beer they had. It was a lot. Finally I picked a random one while Juniper picked a strawberry Daiquiri with Bacardi. While we waited for our drinks, I scanned the menu.

“They’re big on burgers, aren’t they?” I asked.

“You are in Oklahoma,” Zachary pointed out.

I nodded thoughtfully. “I have no idea what to get,” I sighed as the waiter put our drinks in front of us.

I took a sip and was impressed at the rich flavor.

“Are you ready to order?” the waiter asked.

“Not the mains but can we get some pretzel sticks to start with?”

“Of course, sir.”

“Do you like pork?” Juniper asked me and I nodded. She pointed to something on the menu. “Shredded pork with peppered bacon. It used to be my favorite.”

“Used to?”

“It got way too spicy for me.”

I nodded. I didn’t mind spice; especially with this beer. It would pair perfectly. Juniper yawned and rested her head on my shoulder.

“I’m exhausted,” she mumbled and Zachary smiled sympathetically. “It’s a good exhaustion, though.”

“Any ideas on the name yet?” he asked.

Juniper’s hand found mine and she pursed her lips. “I have no clue. It has to be something southern, obviously, since it’s southern food we’re serving.”

We all sat in thought and I took another drink of beer.

“Damn this is good,” I mumbled and Juniper giggled.

“I’ve never been a fan of beer.”

“Try this one,” I said, handing it to her. She looked doubtful but tried it. “Well?”

She clamped a hand to her mouth and I cringed as her shoulders jerked. She took a few gulps of water.

“How do you drink that?” she gasped and I laughed.

Our food had arrived. “I’m not a wimp,” I teased and she flicked my nose.

Juniper hummed as she ate. I couldn’t tell what the song was at first but finally recognized it as ‘Hopeless Opus’ by Imagine Dragons. I started whistling it and, to my utter shock, Zachary tapped his fork on the table in time with the words.

“How do you know that song?” I asked and he smirked.

“Just because I’m old doesn’t mean I can’t have good taste in music.”

I laughed Juniper gasped. “I’ve got it! ‘The Southern Belles’.”

“Why that?”

“Because all of us but Marcus and Eduardo are women,” she pointed out. “Or I could go with ‘The Southern Belles and Cowboys’. But that’s really long…. I’ll pitch the two to the staff tomorrow and see what they like. How are things at the hospital?” she added and Zachary rubbed the back of his neck with a sigh.

“We’re in way over our head,” he answered and I nodded. “I didn’t realize how many people were injured here.”

“Have you been working with him the whole time?” she asked me just as I took a big bite of my sandwich.

She snorted and I held my hand to my mouth to hide having to take big bites. I nudged her.

“Yeah, I have. I want to help with the patients but I don’t have a lick of experience. The best I can do there is make sure everyone has a room, doctor, and nurse.”

“And make sure that no one stays too long,” Zachary added darkly.

“We had someone who refused to leave,” I said when Juniper stared at us. “He was healed up but claimed he still had a broken rib. Eventually, we were about to call the cops until he finally gave in.”

She shook her head. “Why are people like that when there are people out there in desperate need of care?”

I was about to answer when a siren went off.

“Oh, God no,” she whimpered and I held her hand tightly as all talking ceased in the restaurant.

Tornado Watch 144 is now in effect until 7:40

I glanced at my watch. It was seven now. People got up to leave but the waiters stopped them.

“Sorry, folks, but we can’t let you leave,” the manager yelled over everyone’s heads. “Even though it’s just a watch, after what happened last week it’s too risky. As soon as the watch is dropped, we’ll let you go.”

Juniper had frozen, her eyes wide as saucers.

“Hey,” I whispered but she shook her head. I put my arm around her and pulled her close. “It’ll be okay,” I whispered into her ear, kissing her temple.

Across from the table, Zachary was on his phone talking rapidly with the people at the hospital to see if the watch was there, too.

Juniper’s hand grabbed my leg and she gripped it tightly. It hurt so I gave her my hand instead.

“I’m scared,” she said in a small voice.

“I know. But I’m here and so is Zachary. It’ll be okay,” I repeated and she hid her head in my neck.

“It’s not at the hospital,” Zachary said, putting his phone in his pocket and looking at Juniper sadly. She had started shaking like a leaf. “I’m sure it’s just a precaution. Do you have a weather app on your phone?” he asked Juniper gently. She handed it to him without answering. “I need your passcode, darling.”

“3872,” she mumbled into my neck.

He got in and pulled the app up. “It says here that it’s a severe thunderstorm and-”

The lights went out and rain fell heavily. Juniper was whimpering and I saw that the table wasn’t bolted to anything. I pushed it a little and pulled her on my lap. The rain turned into hail. She was still shaking. Just then, a manager came by with a flashlight.

“Sir, is she okay?” he asked, looking worried. “Is she having a panic attack?” I nodded, rubbing her hair. “Can we do anything?”

“I need a cool towel,” I whispered and he hurried off to get it.

“It’s just a thunderstorm, I think,” Zachary said, glancing nervously at Juniper.

The manager handed me the cold cloth and I pressed it to the back of her neck. She didn’t respond and I whispered gently in her ear. The manager hovered nearby, keeping an eye on everyone else in the store as well. Finally, Juniper stopped shaking. She had been crying, though, and I nodded to the manager to ask him to leave. He took the message and left.

“Are you okay?” I whispered but she shook her head no.

“Not until it’s over,” she said in a hoarse voice.

I kissed her shoulder. “Zachary said it’s just a thunderstorm. It’ll pass. It’s just a precaution.”

The sound system crackled and everyone looked up, holding their breaths.

Tornado watch 144 is no longer in effect. Severe thunderstorm number 229 is in effect until 8:20. Remember, a severe thunderstorm can lead to-

“Okay,” the manager called. “Those who want to leave can do so now.”

Zachary quickly left the money and a tip on the table. I carried Juniper to his car. The hail had passed for now. I sat in the back with her, helping her buckle her seat belt. She was pale as a sheet and her lips were pressed together tightly.

When we got to her apartment, Zachary helped open the door. I set her down in her living room but she shot for the bathroom. I frowned as she started to throw up. Zachary sighed, running a hand through his hair.

“Maybe she should go somewhere for the rest of the spring,” he said but I shook my head.

“No. She belongs here. We’ll find a way to…. Hey, Zachary?” I whispered, beckoning him over so she wouldn’t hear. “Could it be possible she has PTSD from her encounter two years ago?”

“God. I didn’t even think about that.” He glanced at the bathroom where we heard her brushing her teeth. “It’s entirely possible. She went through a lot that year and to be locked in your own shelter…. We’ll talk to her together about it just not tonight.”

I nodded as she stumbled out.

“Sorry,” she whispered, looking anywhere but us. “I’m gonna go to bed. You can stay here if you want. It’s hailing again. I have a guest room.”

Zachary hugged her tightly. “Thanks. We’ll stay.”

I doubted she wanted us to stay because of the storm. Zachary and I got into the guest bed and I looked at the roof, not being able to sleep. Zachary was soon snoring.

Then Juniper started crying in her sleep and I hurried into her room. She was tossing and turning and I climbed in gently.

“Shh,” I whispered, putting my arms around her. At first she fought me but then she calmed down. I kissed her forehead. “It’s okay, Juniper. It’s me, Ryder. I’m here. You’re safe.”

Eventually she calmed down and her breathing evened out. I closed my eyes and fell asleep shortly thereafter.