Sequel: Flood

Tornado

Ryder

I hesitated before getting out of my car, staring at the entrance to Will Roger’s Airport. Amy’s flight landed in twenty minutes. Juniper reached over and held my hand with a reassuring smile.

“Are you sure it’s okay you came with me?” I asked and she nodded.

“They’re laying down the steel and brick today,” she answered and opened the car door. I did the same. “Lisa is watching over them.”

“You still won’t tell me what’s in the bag?”

She had come out of her apartment with a gift bag that she promptly put in the truck, ignoring my questions.

“Nope. What’s her favorite food?”

“Italian.”

“I know a good place.”

I smiled and squeezed her hand. “You know every good place.”

She beamed and kissed me gently when we got to the exit gate. I was nervous and she wrapped her arms around me briefly. I hugged her back and jumped as people started to come down to the baggage claim. I searched through the crowd, trying to pick Amy out. Finally, I did and pointed to her so Juniper could see.

“She looks just like you,” she said and I nodded.

It was true. Amy’s brown hair reached her mid-back, though. Her eyes were the same shade of brown. She was looking at her phone and didn’t see us at first. Juniper stepped to the side just as Amy looked up. Amy’s eyes lit up and, before she even went to get her luggage, she ran to me.

“Ryder!” she cried and I held her close. “I’ve missed you!”

“I’ve missed you, too,” I said.

She looked up at me with tears in her eyes. “Mom and Dad really didn’t want me to come.”

I put my arm around her shoulders. “They’ll get over it. Amy, I want you to meet my very good friend Juniper.”

We had decided to wait and tell Amy we were a couple until the two girls had become better acquainted. I was wrong to worry, though. Amy ran to her and threw her arms around Juniper’s waist.

Juniper returned the hug without a second thought.

“I’ve heard so much about you,” Juniper said. “I hear you happen to like Italian.”

Amy nodded as I picked up her pink suitcase. “Spaghetti is my absolute fave!”

I cringed at the lingo but Juniper nudged me playfully. As we walked to the car, Amy told me all about how her art class was finally doing something new. Then the conversation abruptly switched to the plane ride, something I was accustomed to but I knew it threw Juniper off for a second. Amy was surprised when she learned first class passengers get free drinks.

“Please tell me you didn’t,” I groaned and she giggled.

“Don’t worry,” she said. “I tried some at a party once and it was nasty.”

I glared at her but left it alone when Juniper aimed a discreet kick at my shins. Juniper let Amy sit in the passenger’s seat and directed us to a restaurant called Zio’s. When we got out, Amy grabbed my hand, looking nervous. It was rather crowded for a Monday afternoon.

“Is Alfredo working today?” Juniper asked the host who nodded and went to get him.

Juniper smiled kindly at Amy who was gripping onto me for dear life. I hoped Juniper knew what she was doing. I had told her that Amy wasn’t good in crowds.

“Juniper!”

A middle aged man came out and hugged her. He had a thick Italian accent and a cheesy mustache to match.

“I hope all is well going with your restaurant,” he said, gripping her hands with a huge smile.

“Thank you. It is. Alfredo, I’m here to call in on that favor.”

“Of course, mio caro.”

Juniper took my hand and pulled both of us over.

“I have some very special friends with me today,” she said and Alfredo beamed at us. “Is there a quiet spot for us?”

“Anything for you,” he nodded and took up three menus. “Follow me!”

Juniper smiled again and Amy was starting to relax as we went further into the back of the restaurant. We were seated in a private section and Alfredo handed us each a menu.

“Thank you,” Juniper said and Alfredo kissed her cheeks.

“I hope the meal is to your liking,” he said to us.

I sat down beside Amy and gave Juniper a gracious smile. She winked. That’s when I noticed she had brought the gift in with her. I had been so worried about Amy it never occurred to me.

“What’s your favorite drink, Amy?” she asked.

“Dr. Pepper,” she answered quickly.

“Just like your big bro,” Juniper smiled and Amy giggled. We ordered our drinks and food and Juniper bent to the bag. “I got you a little something, Amy.” My sister blushed. “Ryder told me how much you love art.”

She passed the gift bag and Amy tore the tissue paper out excitedly. She froze when she saw what was in it. I looked over at Juniper. Her elbows were on the table top and she was leaning forward, her head resting on her hand. She was smiling gently and her eyes were on Amy.

“It’s- It’s amazing,” Amy said finally, looking up with teary eyes. “Thank you so much! Look what she got me, Ryder!”

It was an art kit, probably the biggest kit Amy ever had. I looked inside the pamphlet. It had 150 different colored pencils, a 200 paged sketch book, charcoal, an eraser, and a lot more. When I looked up at Juniper to thank her, she was already talking about art with Amy.

I pretended to yawn to hide my tears. I don’t know when she bought the kit but I made a note to remember to thank her with more than just a smile.

“I saw your online portfolio,” Juniper said and Amy turned a brilliant shade of red. “You have a great talent, Amy, and I have a request.” Amy sat up straight and Juniper winked at me again. “Has Ryder told you what I do?”

“Yeah! You have a restaurant! That must be so awesome!”

“It is,” she agreed. “I need someone to paint the walls and I am just awful at painting.”

Amy looked ready to faint. “You want me to paint your restaurant’s walls?” Juniper nodded and Amy gripped my arm. “Did you hear that, Ryder!?”

“I did!” I nodded, trying not to cry again.

After lunch, we went to the office. Even though he wouldn’t be formally speaking to her, I wanted Amy to get used to being around Zachary.

“I have to go,” Juniper said after the introductions were over. I was glad to see that Amy took to Zachary immediately. “Lisa just texted me to let me know the first layer of drywall is up and the construction crew want me to look it over.”

“I’ll walk you down to the lobby,” I said quickly and she nodded.

Amy hugged Juniper tightly. “Thank you so much for the kit!”

Juniper hugged her back. “You’re very welcome. I’ll let your brother know when you guys can come over.”

As soon as we got into the elevator, I pulled Juniper in for a kiss. I pressed her against the wall of the elevator, my hands on her hips as our tongues moved together. She kissed me back a little timidly. I kissed her forehead.

“Thank you, thank you, thank you,” I breathed, holding her as close as I could.

“You’re very welcome,” she whispered, hugging me back.

The elevator slowed down and I held her hand until we got to the bus stop. I kissed her again, lingering a little longer than normal.

“I really like Amy,” she said. “She’s a wonderful young lady.”

I shook my head, crying a little. “You have no idea how much good you did today.”

She wiped my tears away with her thumb. “You’re the best big brother on this planet.” She hugged me one last time as the bus pulled up. “I just hope I can be the best big brother’s girlfriend on the planet.”

“You are,” I said with a nod. “Trust me, you are.”

She smiled and waved as she got on the bus. I waited until they pulled out and cried on my way to the office. Even though she said she understood, Juniper had no idea how much good she just did for my sister.

When I got back to the office, I made sure my face was dry. I could hear Amy and Zachary laughing in his office and I walked in.

“Telling jokes about me?” I asked and Amy giggled.

“Dr. Pipps has a cat, too! I can’t wait to see Spaz again.”

I flattened her hair and kissed the top of her head.