Sequel: Flood

Tornado

Ryder

My alarm clock started blaring at 5 and I groaned, not wanting to get up. It was too early; my body was still in Las Vegas time and I definitely did not get up at 3 on the weekdays for work. I sighed and turned the alarm off. I took a shower and made some coffee. I lived in a small apartment, smaller than the one Juniper lived in. I didn’t need a lot of space, though, anyway.

It was incredibly cold and I put a hoodie on under my coat, lifting the hood over my wet hair. The streets were relatively empty and I drank my coffee quickly as I walked, reflecting on the day I had with Juniper yesterday. It was really pleasant and I really wanted to do it again.

The hospital was quiet, not even the front secretary was there. I couldn’t imagine why Zachary wanted me there so early. I took the elevator and used the key he gave me to get into the office. I heard him on his phone as I entered the hallway and put my briefcase on my desk, starting up my computer. I had a few emails but I was more concerned about waiting to hear from Zachary to go into his office.

“Is that you, Ryder?” he called and I stood up.

“Yes, sir,” I said.

I hung my coat and hoodie up on the hat stand and went into his office. He looked about as tired as I did and pressed another cup of coffee into my hand.

“Why did you want me here so early?” I asked.

“Training purposes,” he answered. “There are mornings where I’ve had to be here at 3 in the morning.”

“Why?”

“There are a lot of reasons we would get here early,” he explained. “One is if we have a special guest coming in. Sometimes we have more investors interested in working with us. As you know, we work mostly on donations so when we have an investor we tend to give them more than just the normal start treatment. We may also have to come in early if there’s an influx of patients.” He made a sad face. “That’s happening more often lately.”

I nodded in understanding, thinking about my brother.

“What’s going on today that we need to be early for?”

“Oh, nothing,” he answered and laughed at the indignant look on my face. “You need to get used to it, Ryder. But, I have a question for you.” I looked at him expectantly. “How was your date?”

I chuckled, going red. “It was all right. I’m glad you pushed me to go.”

“Well, we were slow anyway. What did you do?”

I told him but frowned. “There was a tornado siren, though. She practically had a panic attack while we were in the shelter.”

Zachary nodded solemnly. “That double-wide we gave her a picture of?” I nodded. “Like I told you, she lived there with her mom. Even though they weren’t on the best terms, she loved her mother and had a lot of memories with her there. From what I understand, she didn’t think there was actually a tornado until she saw it herself. Then the poor dear got locked in her shelter.”

“I can’t imagine what that would be like,” I said. “And I hope I never do.”

“Yes. Unfortunately, they’re so common here. I have no doubt you’ll witness one this year. It was my insistence she move to the city so she was near more people. She was lucky to have her friends nearby to help her get out.”

“Was her mom already gone?”

“Not exactly. She had to be transferred to the hospital shortly before the tornado.” Zachary looked sad again. “Juniper’s had a rough few years so be careful with her.”

“I will,” I promised. “She makes me feel comfortable, not as shy as I normally am.”

“She has a great way of bringing people out of their shell. Her fellow waitress, Lisa, had been thrown out of her parents’ house because she came out to them. It was Juniper who gave her a place to stay until Lisa met her girlfriend.”

The more I learned about Juniper, the more amazing she seemed and I was looking forward to seeing her again.

“I have some emails I’m going to look into,” I said.

“Okay. We have a meeting with a few of the staff at 9:30 to introduce you.”

“Sounds great.”

I sat at my desk and stretched again. After the two cups of coffee, I was feeling more awake but my eyes were still heavy. The first email was telling me about the meeting and I accepted the invitation. I heard the chime from Zachary’s computer and moved to the second one. That one was just a standard daily email from the hospital about events and there was a small shout out announcing my arrival. It was the third one that got my attention.

It was from my sister.

I double clicked it so that it opened all the way.

Hey Ryder! Mom gave me your email address. I hope it’s okay that I emailed you at work! I wanted to see how things were going. I miss you a lot. :( Mom and Dad are great but it’s just not the same without you here. I started doing more art classes! I’ll send you some pictures in my next email! Well, I just wanted to say hi. Love you, Amy

I grinned and clicked ‘Reply’.

Hey kiddo! Of course you can email me here! Let me tell you, seeing your name just made my morning! I miss you, too. I have all your paintings up in my office. My partner sends his compliments! I love you very much. If you ever need anything, you also have my cell phone number. I’ll give you and our parents a call this weekend to catch up, how does that sound? I have to do the dreary task of work now but I can’t wait to hear from you again. Xoxo

-

The meeting was held on the third floor and I fiddled with my tie nervously. Zachary kept telling me not to worry but I couldn’t help it. When we entered the room, I cringed inside. There were at least 20 people crammed in the room.

“Good morning, everyone!” Zachary said, standing at the front of the room where a podium was set up. They echoed his greeting. “It’s good to see you all here. I’ve called this meeting for two reasons. The first is to let you know that we’re admitting two new cancer patients this week and we have an investor coming in on Friday to look into the mental illness ward.” They all muttered in interest. “The second reason is I wanted you to all meet our new partner, Ryder Vance!”

Zachary pulled me to the podium as everyone clapped and I laughed nervously.

“Um… hi,” I said, fidgeting with my tie again. “I’m glad to be here. I really believe in the work the hospital does and I thank all of you for your contribution.” I sighed. “Mental illnesses are prevalent in my family so I have a special pull to you guys. Well, I guess that’s all I really have to say. Thanks for the warm welcome.”

They clapped again as I stepped back, letting Zachary give the rest of the announcements. I let out a breath of relief as people started leaving to do their daily jobs. One young man held back and I could tell he was trying to catch my eye.

“I’ll meet you up at the office,” I told Zachary who nodded, understanding.

“My name is Heath,” he said, holding his hand out.

“It’s nice to meet you,” I returned, shaking his hand.

“I know it’s probably not my place to say this, but you better not fuck up.”

I frowned. That was the last thing I expected.

“Excuse me?”

Heath was now glaring at me. “This hospital means a lot to us, too. The man you’re replacing was a douche that stole money from the Board. I also know you had lunch with Juniper Eaves the other day. Back off, Ryder. She’s mine.”

I chuckled darkly and rubbed my chin. “Okay, first of all: You’re to call me Mr. Vance from now on. Second, I don’t appreciate this behavior or your language. Do not swear at me again. And finally, it is none of your business who I eat lunch with. Are we clear, Heath?” I asked, narrowing my eyes.

He just scoffed and stormed down the hall. I frowned after him before going to the office.

“What did Heath want?” Zachary asked when he saw I was back.

I leaned against my desk. “Why didn’t you tell me you fired your last partner?”

His smile faded. “I’m ashamed for hiring him,” he said simply. “Is that why he wanted to talk to you?”

I nodded slowly, rubbing my chin again – something I always did when I was angry. “That and to tell me to back off from Juniper. He sees me as… competition I guess.”

At this, Zachary frowned. “He has his eye on June?” I nodded and he pressed his lips together slightly.

“I made it clear that he’s not to talk to me that way again,” I told him. “I don’t tolerate being sworn at.”

He sighed. “I’m sorry for that, Ryder.”

I shrugged and sat behind my desk, glancing at the picture of me and my sister.

“I’m sure he won’t be the first person I have an altercation with,” I admitted.

“I’ll talk to him about June,” he said but I shook my head.

“It’s okay. If he tries it again, I’ll make sure it’s the last time.”

Zachary smiled a little. “Already talking like a boss. I like that.”

I chuckled.