Sequel: Flood

Tornado

Ryder

I hung my phone up, chuckling to myself. I had heard Juniper’s friend say she wasn’t going to let Juniper make a fool out of herself and the phone sounded like it was thrown. Then her friend put her in bed, grumbling about her being drunk.

I turned back over in bed, wondering why she would get drunk on a work night; it didn’t seem in her nature. Then I remembered the tornado warning on our date. Was that what had made her drink? If that were the case, my heart sank for her.

Thursday dawned cold again. Part of me wondered if spring was going to be like this all the time. As I was getting out of the shower, I heard a strange siren noise. I frowned. It was the same noise as when I was with Juniper. Someone knocked on my door and I opened it to see the building manager.

“You Ryder Vance?” he asked and I nodded. “You’re the new guy. We got a tornado that touched down about ten miles away. It’s coming. Follow me to the shelter.”

My eyes widened and I grabbed my wallet and phone. As I jogged down the stairs after him, I called Zachary.

“I know,” he said before I could say anything. “Get safe. I’m calling Juniper right now.”

“Okay,” I breathed.

“You won’t get reception in the shelter,” the manager said as we continued to descend more stairs. “It’s lined with steel and cement. We have a weather radio and a television with antennas. Don’t get your hopes up with the television, though.”

“I understand,” I said but I really didn’t.

The biggest “natural disasters” I lived through were freaking droughts! Not tornadoes.

“What happens if it hits us?”

“Insurance,” the manager said simply.

“It must be so expensive,” I mused as we all piled into the shelter. There wasn’t much room and the manager and I were pressed against the door. “How do they manage it?”

“It’s factored into everything,” he answered distractedly. “Mr. Sherman!” he yelled to someone deeper in the shelter. “Turn up the volume!”

The shelter was soon full of the sound of a man in a computer voice making statements. I didn’t understand the lingo so I kept an eye on the manager’s face. He was tense and I fiddled with my tie. There wasn’t enough room for me to sit. An older lady was right in front of me. She was shaking like a leaf and her husband held her close. It was then that I worried about Juniper. I checked my phone but I had no reception. I groaned.

We were in there for two hours before I heard: Tornado Warning 198 is no longer in effect.

There was a cry of relief among everyone and the manager had me help him open the door.

“Remember,” he yelled, “be patient. I don’t want no one tramplin’ other people!”

I jogged up the stairs and ran outside to see what it looked like. My heart sank. There were trees blown into the streets. Several cars were on their sides and trash clung everywhere. The wind was still blowing so hard it almost blew my jacket off. I stepped back inside and called Zachary.

“Are you safe!?” Zachary yelled.

I could hear people talking in the background.

“Yeah!” I yelled back so he could hear me. “You?”

“Hold on!” All I could hear was people’s voices and hurried footsteps. Finally, the noise died down. “We were safe in the basement,” he said, his voice easier to hear.

“The manager took me to the shelter. Zachary, the street is… it’s blocked with trees and cars.”

My voice was shaking and I covered my eyes.

“Calm down,” he said gently. “Don’t worry about work.”

“No. I’m going to come. I can’t- I need something to distract me.”

“Okay. I’ll see you soon.”

When I hung up with him, I called Juniper but she didn’t answer. My mouth went dry and I hurried to her house, ignoring the taxi that was offering to take me wherever I was going. Thankfully, her complex was untouched but the streets were just as messy. I spotted her helping an old couple push their car back from on its side. I rushed over to help. With a few more shoves, we managed to get it back on all four tires.

“Thank you so much,” the man sighed, wiping sweat from his brow.

“We’re all in this together, Mr. Yang,” Juniper said quietly.

“Are you okay?” I asked as soon as the couple got in their car. She nodded but her lower lip was trembling. I pulled her into me. “Is it like this all the time?” I whispered.

“Yes,” was all she said.

The wind kept blowing around us and, slowly, she wrapped her arms around me, too.

“Are you going into work?” I asked but she shook her head and burst into tears. My heart fell and I pulled out of the hug. “What is it, Juniper?”

I didn’t need an answer, though, as she fell to her knees.

“Oh, God,” I groaned and I knelt next to her. As she sobbed, I called Zachary. “I’m bringing Juniper with me.”

“What is it?” he asked in panic. “Is she okay?”

“No. We’re on our way now.” I hung up. “Can you walk?” I whispered.

She nodded, still crying but her sobs had died away. I kept my arm around her as we walked slowly to the hospital.

“Do you folks need a ride back to your place?” a man said, pulling up next to us. “I seen the damage and it ain’t good.”

“We’re going to ‘United Reach’,” I answered.

“You work there?” I nodded. “Get in.” I opened the back door for Juniper and she sat in silence. “Y’all helped my niece.” He glanced at Juniper. “You’re the waitress over at Mama’s Southern Cookin’, aren’t you?”

Juniper just started sobbing again and the man seemed to understand. He swore under his breath and took a different route to the hospital.

“Here,” I said when we got out and handed him $20.

“No,” he declined firmly. “We’re all in this together,” he repeated what Juniper had told the old couple.

I nodded in thanks and helped Juniper into the building. When we got to the office, Zachary was waiting for us, a worried expression on his face.

“Did you get hurt?” he asked but she collapsed into his arms and we helped her to his office.

“It’s all gone!” she cried and Zachary closed his eyes painfully. “Two cars were thrown in through the windows! A tree fell on top of the kitchen! It’s all gone!”

Her sobs were stabbing into me and I retreated to my office. I turned on my computer, anything to block the terrible noise coming from the office beside me. I pulled up the local news station and clicked on the weather. There was a video and I turned the volume up but I also didn’t want Juniper to hear.

“Today we witnessed a tornado like we haven’t in a while,” the weatherman was saying and I put my hands together, resting my chin on my fingertips. My door opened and Zachary came in to watch the report with me. “An F4 tornado ripped through downtown Moore causing great devastation. So far, we have 5 deaths, 10 injured, and 3 missing. Moore Public Schools is offering to have those who are injured go there for help. ‘United Reach’ Board member, Zachary Pipps, has extended his hospital’s services as well. Stay tuned for more updates.”

The video cut out and I leaned back in my chair with a long sigh.

“Juniper is out,” Zachary told me, leaning against my desk. “She passed out. Are you okay?” he added, seeing my pale face.

“I didn’t expect it to happen so soon,” I said in a weak voice. “I knew I was going to experience a tornado but….”

“I understand. We haven’t had an F4 in two years. It’s the one that ruined her house.”

I shook my head. “And then she loses her restaurant.”

Zachary was crying for her and I handed him some tissues. “Stay up here with her, please. I have to go down and organize those who come for help.”

I nodded and took a book with me into Zachary’s office. Juniper was curled up into a ball. Zachary had folded his jacket up and gave it to her as a pillow. I put my coat on top of her and sat on the floor against the wall. I tried to read but it was no use. I got a text from my sister.

PLEASE TELL ME YOU’RE OKAY!

I sighed. They must be keeping an eye on the weather here.

I’m okay, kiddo. I can’t call right now but assure Mom and Dad we’re okay.

I didn’t want to wake Juniper and I stared out the window. I could hear ambulance sirens. I walked over to it and rubbed my eyes. I could see the devastation caused. I had no idea how far from Moore we were, but I could see smoke in the distance. As I watched people enter the hospital entrance, I started to wonder if living in Oklahoma was a good idea after all.