Rising From the Grave

to exact her revenge.

Anthony’s hospital stay was brief, his injuries only consisting of a few sprains and a concussion—much to his own doctor’s surprise. He had fully expected to be sent off to jail but Wendy had insisted that she didn’t want to press charges against him; siting that he was grieving just as she was and how Emilia would not want her to have him punished.

He stayed quiet about what he witnessed in the house, and tries to convince himself that what he saw was an illusion… or a delusion caused by lack of sleep but he refused to believe Emilia was back from the grave to seek revenge.

It was improbable.

But a nagging in his gut told him otherwise, even as he tried to get passed the event he was able to. He would see her everywhere; in crowds while he was out on the town, as he sat alone in his home he’d see a movement from the corner of his eye.

What was worse were the puddles of water and the moist footprints he would occasionally encounter; the sight giving him anxiety.

It was a week after his first sighting of Emilia that he decided to visit the cabin on the lake and check on everything. Even if he had to break through ice and swim to the bottom himself, he wanted to make sure she was still there and not walking about trying to torment him.

The cabin had remained untouched after Emilia’s death and he’d been unsuccessful at selling the property. Parking his car near the front door, he stepped out and wrapped his coat tighter around himself. It was at least twenty degrees colder than in the city and he hated it; cursing himself for not being patient enough to wait until the spring thaw.

He mounted the stairs and walked around the porch, slowly the snowed over lake came into view. He had prayed for everything to be untouched but the disturbed snow at the center of the lake was the most terrifying thing he’d ever seen.

Not thinking, he ran down the attached dock until he reached the end. He carefully lowered himself onto the snow and stepped tentatively, hoping it was thick enough to hold his weight as he investigated the disturbance.

Surely someone would have reported finding her body. It had to be a fluke, an animal digging at the snow to find food but an animal wouldn’t be able to get through the ice.

Just disturbed snow, Anthony assured himself.

It took longer to reach the mound of snow than he wanted, having to use the utmost care to get to his destination and when he was there he was almost brought to his knees.

A wide hole in the ice revealed murky water, the snow edging around the hole as if someone had crawled from the chilled depths.

Terror overcoming him, Anthony turned on his heel to run and almost collided with Emilia who stood arm lengths away.

“You can’t be here!” Anthony yelled at her, “How are you still here?” Emilia stared at him, her dull blue eyes focusing on his as she allowed him his tirade. “No. I won’t believe that you’re actually here.”

Reaching out, he to grab her and prove to himself she was an illusion or someone paid to act a part to scare him he was shocked when she moved faster, her hand grabbing his arm. Her eyes narrowed on his as she rasped, “You aren’t allowed to touch me anymore.” Her hand was cold and moist against his arm, her grip strong.

Anthony tried to yank his arm away but wasn’t able to dislodge her grasp, trying to step back but the edge of the ice hole cracked, almost sending him falling into the dark depths. “Let go!”

“I begged you to let me go but you didn’t,” she grated, her nails digging into him and drawing blood. “Even as you stared right into my eyes as you squeezed the last breath from my body. I will make you pay for what you did to me.”

“Em, please,” Anthony pleaded pitifully, “If… If you ever loved me, please let me go. I’m so sorry for what I did. I… I’ll turn myself in. I’ll rot in jail for the rest of my life if it’ll make you happen.”

“That would never be enough!” She yelled, her raspy voice cracking at her exclamation. “I won’t rest until you’re dead too!” With her last words, Emilia shoved him with enough force to send him reeling backwards off his feet. As he landed on his back, the ice beneath them gave way to his body and the water crashed over his head.

Anthony flailed in the icy cold water, trying to break the surface but he couldn’t, it was as if he was being pulled downwards even as he looked up towards Emilia who stood at the edge of the ice staring down at him with a cold smile.

The harder he fought against the invisible hands pulling him downwards the more his lungs screamed for air, his vision beginning to blur and fade out. Anthony couldn’t help but wonder if this was how Emilia felt as he had his hands wrapped around her throat.

Just as he felt himself falling into the abyss of darkness that is death he could hear Emilia’s roughened voice chuckle, “Until death do us part, husband.”