One Direction One Shots

Zayn Mailk 6

“No, I don’t want to do this…” I kept muttering to myself as my crazy friends led me over to the biggest rollercoaster in the theme park. “Don't make me do this!” I was pretty scared, that you’ve probably already figured out.
My name’s Babo Roberts. And I’m scared of heights. So my friends decided as an end of year outing we’d all go to a theme park. A theme park full of people shouting and other loud things, massive crowds that were easy to get lost in, and finally rollercoasters that went high up enough for me to spontaneously combust into a teary, sloppy mess. All of which I hate with a passion. Seriously, I’d be happier just sitting in my living room watching a movie with the girls. I don’t need to be reminded of my long list of fears on a daily basis. But that was the girls. They just loved exploiting my fear and trying to get me killed. And I’m not overreacting. People have died on rollercoasters before, I’ll let you know.
I was shoved to the back of the line before the group, the girls all making sure to block the exit.
“Come on, Babs, I’m sure you’ll be alright.” I grimaced at Katrina.
“Yeah, and on what planet would sane people go on rides that have them suspended upside down so all it takes is gravity to rip their head from their bodies!” I yelled. There were a few turned heads. The girls all laughed and I felt my cheeks redden. Great, now I’m embarrassing myself.
“Haha, that was a funny one!” A few of the boys grouped in front of us turned around. I was about to rant at the owner of the voice with the most smart-ass bitchy comeback I could think of, but I blinked wildly at the sight before me. There they were. Famous people. One Direction, to be exact.
“Uh, hi?” Well, so much for the smart, bitchy comeback.
“Hi, I’m Harry,” the curly-haired boy introduced himself, “this is Liam, Louis, Niall and Zayn.” They all waved in turn. “And you girls are…”
“Katrina!” Kat ran forward and held out her hand, “that’s Teagan,” she pointed to a short girl with long, straight black hair and green eyes, “that’s Mel,” she pointed to a girl of average height that had short blonde hair in pigtails and cerulean blue eyes, “and, scaredy-cat over here is Babo… but everyone calls her Babs.” I grimaced and twirled a strand of brown hair though my fingers. God, so I’d not only embarrassed myself, but embarrassed myself in front of the biggest boyband in England’s modern history, One Direction. Wow, I was really having a good day. Not.
“Heh. Well, yeah.” I stood there awkwardly.
“So, why are you guys here?” Kat asked. She was always the more outspoken of the group.
“Our manager decided we should have a well-earned break. So we all decided to go to a theme park. This one happened to be the closest.” I nodded.
“So, not sane then.” I muttered under my breath. Louis laughed and slapped me on the back.
“I like this one, she’s got a good sense of humor.” I groaned and pried his arm off me.
“No, I believe I happen to be more sane than the lot of you.” This earned another round of laughs. Why did everything I say have to be taken as a joke?
It took a while for the line to move forward. It was pretty bust today, and much to my dismay lots of people believed that sitting on a ride that they weren’t guaranteed to get off of at the end was a brilliant way to spend the afternoon. But waiting was actually quite fun. I was really surprised. Me, Kat, Teagan and Mel continued talking to the guys from One Direction until we had made it to the front of the queue and were about to be strapped in to out seats. The boys were just like normal guys my age; sport-loving, Pokemon-obsessed geeks. That happened to have an amazing set of vocal chords. OK, so maybe not the last part for normal guys. But God, they grew on me. I knew for certain we’d all stay friends even after we left the park after today.
If you want the details, I won’t disappoint. There was one boy that stood out from all the rest, and that was Zayn Malik. I’d always thought of him as a bit of a weakling after watching his trials and tribulations with dance steps on the screen, but in real life he was anything but. He was strong, outgoing, and above all else protective. Actually, he was the only guy of One Direction that took my concerns for riding rollercoasters seriously. We had gotten into a long conversation about our favourite musicians and sports just so that he could ease my worries if only a little. Such a gentleman. And in the short time I talked with him, I found we had far too much in common for it to be legal. And I was falling for him.
He was just so gorgeous, with a perfect personality to match. I loved the way his dark hair stood up, I loved how his dark eyes conveyed so much expression. He also had full, pouting lips. I knew he was a charmer, but in real life it was just too much to bear. He was so sweet, so nice to me. He seemed deeply concerned with my worries. And he tried his best to ease me into the situation at hand. Being brutally honest, he was the perfect guy. Perfect in every way possible. My dream boy.
So when it came time to get strapped in, I wasn’t too surprised to find myself sitting next to him.
“Don’t worry Babs, I won’t let you die on this thing,” he said it jokingly, but I knew he was being truthful. The rollercoaster began its ascent, going higher and higher upwards at a very slow pace.
“Oh god…” I muttered. I felt sick. What goes up must come down. A wave of nausea swept over me.
“Zayn, I don’t feel so good…” I whispered, completely scared out of my wits. At this point we were up the very top, looking down on the crowds of people that swamped the paved ground below.
“You right, Babs?” I heard him ask with concern. I shook my head and closed my eyes.
“Not good… not good at all!” I felt like screaming at the top of my lungs. “Tell me when it’s over, Zayn. Please?” I was pleading him now. God, I’m such a nervous wreck.
I felt a hand on mine. I clung on to it for dear life, probably effectively cutting off the circulation of the hand’s owner. I still hadn’t opened my eyes, but I knew whose hand it was. Zayn Malik.
“Don’t worry, we’ll be alright. It’ll be better if you open your eyes so you can see what’s going on.”
“I’d rather not,” I growled at him. He chuckled.
“So, when we’re flying upside down, you’d rather not see? If you did see you would know we were almost finished the ride.” I opened my eyes and turned to him.
“OK, so maybe I do want to see then…”
And with that remark, we came plummeting downwards. I could feel the wind lapping at my face, whipping my long, dark brown hair through the air behind me. I paled.
“Oh shit…” I muttered, grabbing on to Zayn’s hand tighter. “Don’t let go!” I screamed at him. He chuckled and smiled sweetly at me.
“You know I won’t.”
We came spiraling downwards, doing several loop-de-loops at ridiculously high speeds before pulling in to stop. I screamed and cried the whole way down, much to the guys from One Direction’s amusement. I guess they finally realized I was being dead serious before.
Finally, my feet were back on solid ground. I gave an audible sigh of relief.
“So, you’re really scared of heights then?” Liam asked. I gave him a WTF look.
“No shit, Sherlock. What gave it away? Was it the me screaming and swearing part, or was it something else and much more profound?” Liam shrugged and laughed at me.
“Actually, it was the screaming and swearing part,” he mused.
“Hey, if you’re so scared of heights, then why did you go on the ride?” I gave him a glare, then turned to the girls.
“You think I could get past that lot?” I asked matter-of-factly. He laughed at me.
“Yeah, guess not.”
Before the conversation could continue, however, Liam was nudged by Harry. Harry nodded down to my hand and Liam followed his gaze. I sat there in puzzlement. Liam winked at me.
“What?” I growled. He chuckled.
“Well, looks like Babs and Zayn got pretty close, huh?” It was Niall to finally point it out. I looked down at my hand. Surely enough, Zayn’s hand was still connected. I turned to face him.
“Sorry, Zayn!” I squeaked, removing my hand and shaking it out. “I forgot I was still holding your hand.” He smiled kindly at me and grabbed my hand again.
“You know, I kind of like the feeling of your hand in mine,” he said with a smirk. “You’re really cute, Babs. Want to go out sometime?” I paled. Wait, what? About ten minutes ago, I thought I was going to die. How did all this change around so quickly?
“Sure,” I replied. Zayn gave me a soft kiss on the lips and stuck a piece of paper with his number written on it between my fingers.
I guess I don’t mind heights too much anymore. I mean, it’s kind of hard to dislike something that’s caused me so much joy. Zayn has been an amazing boyfriend these past few weeks. Yes, it may only be weeks but we’re going steady and doing just fine. He’s as sweet and caring as always, and he knows not to push my limits.
I can’t hate theme parks, rollercoasters, or loud places anymore. Not after meeting the boy of my dreams.