One Direction One Shots

Liam Payne 9

He takes your hand
I die a little
I watch your eyes
And I’m in riddles
Why can’t you look at me like that
When you walk by
I try to say it
But then I freeze
And never do it
Today was the day of my school formal. After six long years at the same high school, it was time for all the students to finally have some fun; a time for all to celebrate their achievements and friendships that they’d developed with other members of the student body over the years. But here I was, not dressed up in some fancy dress, but in my favourite knitted oversized sweater, denim jeans and a plain white t-shirt. Nothing flash. Nothing special for such a momentous occasion. After all, not everyday do you graduate from high school with all your friends.
Don’t get me wrong, I was going to the formal; it was just difficult for me to get changed into anything other than what I was wearing right now. About a week ago, I was climbing the tall tree that stood outside my bedroom window. It was a tall oak tree, and there were lots of branches that went upwards in a spiral. It was easy to climb; often I would find myself up in the higher branches with a book in hand, reading to my heart’s content, happily alone. I'd been doing this sort of thing for years, whenever I got the chance, but I guess I was just unlucky that day. I fell out and broke my leg.
My tongue gets tight
The words can’t trade
I hear the beat of my heart getting louder
Whenever I’m near you
My date was supposed to be Liam Payne. Yes, the Liam Payne from One Direction. We go to school together at the City of Wolverhampton College. Well, used to. I guess we don’t anymore since we’re graduating. I’ve known Liam since the beginning. We’ve always been in the same class for just about every subject, over every year.
I’d asked him to be my partner. We’re good friends, and I thought we could go together as friends. So we were going to, but then this happened. I didn’t want to ruin his fun, so I told him if he had to he could go find somebody else to take. And he did.
At first I was a little hurt that he’d taken my advice, but I’d gotten over it. I wanted to go under the premise as friends. But he didn’t know how I truly felt about him. Yes, I’m in love with Liam Payne. Who isn’t? He’s perfect. Smart, funny, kind, sensitive, protective. Anything and everything you’d look for in a guy. Of course other girls wanted to grab him quickly after they knew he was free…
But I see you with him slow dancing
Tearing me apart
Cause you don't see
Whenever you kiss him
I’m breaking,
Oh how I wish that was me
And there he was, dancing before me. He looked so handsome in his black tuxedo, the bow tied around his neck suiting him perfectly. He was dancing with a tall girl I’d never met before in a crimson red dress. It was short and sexy and I wondered if he was turned on by her…
I was sitting on the sidelines, minding my own business. No one else was sitting, all were twirling around the dance floor, enjoying themselves and having fun. Everyone but me.
“I only wish he knew…” I mumbled to myself, staring at him and his partner. He looked like he was having so much fun, but I felt my heart shattering little by little. Didn’t he realize the power he had over me? Didn’t he realize he’d stolen my heart so long ago? If only he knew. I wish it was me out there, dancing with him. I wish I could be the girl that he had his arms wrapped around, such an intimate gesture that screamed love and romance to me. My grassy green eyes continued to follow him a little longer, before I turned back to the other side of the room. If I kept watching him, I’d only be hurting myself further.
He looks at you
The way that I would
Does all the thing, I know that I could
If only time, could just turn back
Cause I got three little words
That I’ve been dying to tell you
“Maggie? You look upset.” There he was, the boy of my dreams, sitting down next to me.
“No… I’m not upset,” I responded with as much enthusiasm as I could muster. “You look like you’re having a lot of fun.”
“But it’s no fun without you.” He mumbled. I was surprised.
“No. It’s fine. You know I can’t dance,” I said, pointing to my foot. “Please, have as much fun as you can for the both of us.” He smiled, and made his way back to the dance floor. I sighed and stared at him from behind. Why did everything have to happen to me?
“You look ridiculous, Maggie.” I recognized that scornful voice. It was Nick. He was dressed up neatly, although I knew he was still going to be as malicious as always. Nick, sadly, had also shared all of me and Liam’s classes. He always bullies me. One, because I’m short, and two, because I’m always quiet. Apparently quiet is such a turn-off. I don’t like him. He’s bearable, but only just. I don’t like him, and I don’t trust him. And now he’s here, trying to rub my misfortune in my face.
But I see you with him slow dancing
Tearing me apart
Cause you don’t see
Whenever you kiss him
I’m breaking,
Oh how I wish that was me
“So, your boyfriend decided to ditch you then?” Nick smirked at me, taking a seat. “Too bad. I guess I’ll have to keep you company instead.” He placed a hand on the inside of my thigh.
“What are you doing, Nick?” I screeched at him. He planted a sloppy wet kiss on my left cheek. I smelt something on his breath. No.
“Nick, you’ve been drinking?” I half asked half stated. He growled and nibbled on my ear lobe. I tried to suppress a moan, feeling used and disgusted with myself.
“Stop it, Nick!” I yelled, trying to push him off. But he kept on coming. There was nowhere for me to go. I couldn’t get up and leave because I could hardly walk. He wrapped an arm around my waist and pulled me onto him, clinging to me with his muscular arms so I couldn’t get away. I tried my best to wriggle free.
“Nick, don’t.” He merely chuckled, grabbing me tighter.
“No,” he began, “I think I’m going to have you all to myself.” I kept trying to break away.
“Let me go, Nick!” I yelled. But no one seemed to hear me, everyone engrossed in their own separate groups. Suddenly, I felt a sting on my cheek. He’d slapped me, the bastard!
Feel with my hands on your waist
While I dance in the moonlight
I wish it was me
That you call in your room
Cause you wanna say good night
Nick brought my face towards his with both hands and forced his tongue into my mouth.
“Mmmph!” I tried pushing at his chest, managing to only distance him a little from me. He growled and slapped me again.
“No, Maggie. I believe you belong to me. Where’s your Liam to save you now?” He was right, I looked around, and surely Liam was nowhere to be found. My eyes widened. Perhaps there was some truth to his words?
“No one wants you. You’re worthless. Liam doesn’t need you, so you’d better just give up. Let me take you.” I started tearing up. What if he was right? What if no one wanted me? No one seemed to notice a quiet girl like me anyway.
“What’s going on here?” Finally, I was ripped away from Nick’s arms. “Nick, what are you doing to Maggie?” It was Liam’s voice. Liam Payne, my knight in shining armour.
“Liam…” I choked out, burying my face in his chest.
“What did you do?” Liam repeated, this time louder and angrier. Even I was intimidated by the tone in his voice, and I had done nothing wrong.
“Just warming her up for you.” Nick scowled, deciding to step down. “Have fun, Maggie. But this isn’t the end of it.”
Cause I see you with him slow dancing
Tearing me apart
Cause you don’t see
“Maggie, are you OK?” Liam asked, staring down at me. I nodded. He ran a comforting hand through my dark brown hair.
“Yeah… I guess…” but Nick’s words still weighed heavily on my heart.
“Liam. Thank you for saving me from him. But he’ll be back…” I mumbled. Liam shook his head.
“I won’t let him do anything like that again.” I stared at him.
“He was right about me, Liam,” I whispered to him. Liam looked at me in confusion.
“What exactly did he say to you?” he asked gently. I shrugged and sat back down on my chair. I was suddenly very interested in the floor down below.
“He said I was worthless. No one needs someone like me in their life, especially someone like you.” The words stung as they exited my mouth.
I looked up, noticing the anger behind Liam’s eyes. I eyed him questioningly.
“Liam?” I asked. He picked me up and carried me out of the hall and outside, to the place where we would often spend lunch times together, talking about anything and everything. He sat me down under a tree. Tonight, one of the gardeners had put a string of bright lights through its branches, casting an eerie yet beautiful glow over our skin.
“Maggie. Nick doesn’t know what he’s talking about,” he told me with fervor, “You are a very special and important person for me. I’m just embarrassed that it took for something like that to happen to finally understand my own feelings…” I looked at him in confusion.
“What are you talking about, Liam?” I asked.
“I love you.” I gasped.
“Liam, I…” I shook my head, lost for words. I leant forward and placed a kiss on his cheek. “Thank you.” I finally managed to choke out. “I love you too.”
But I see you with him slow dancing
Tearing me apart
Cause you don’t see
Whenever you kiss him
I’m breaking
Oh how I wish
Oh how I wish
Oh how I wish, that was me
Oh how I wish, that was me