One Direction One Shots

Harry Styles 22

I couldn’t believe it, today was the day. After months of waiting for my best friend Harry to make it back to the US I was on my way to the airport to pick him up. We met when he first came here to America and would be inseparable if it wasn’t for that blasted Atlantic Ocean and thousands of miles. He promised to come back in between studio sessions and tours and we finally had a whole week together to do anything we wanted.
I pulled up to the airport that was bustling with people coming and going, unloading cars and loading cars. People running to each other from the terminals out of excitement while some were crying and saying goodbyes. I was not here for my tearful goodbye, sure that would come later, but right now I was here for the joyous hello.
I stood there waiting by the terminal where his flight was coming into. I was a little bit early so I could even see his British Airways plane touch down; we were both on the same continent! I ran back to the arrivals waiting for him to come out. I was not expecting it but when I got back there were fans holding posters and signs like “We Love Harry!” and “Marry Me Harry!” I understand the fandom because I’m one of them too but I just didn’t want it to get in the way of my hug. People started emerging from the terminal doors, business people, families, and then I saw the head of curls and knew it was him. He looked up and our eyes met and we both smiled at the same time. The girls screamed but Harry ran straight towards me and picked me up in a spinning hug then kissing me on the cheek.
“Hey love, long time no see!” he exclaimed pulling back to get a good look at me. Nothing had really changed since the last time, I still had the purple streak in the back of my wavy brown hair from the dare he gave me last time he was here. I liked it and it reminded me of him so I’ve kept it. Being the great person that he is he did go back to the fans and took pictures and signed their posters but then hurriedly returned to me excited about the week ahead. We walked to the car and started the drive back to my apartment.
“I’ve got something planned for you,” he said while throwing a quick glance at me.
“Oh really! Whatever could it be?” I asked throwing him a flirty look back.
“Let’s just say Louis gave me this new recipe and I’m cooking you dinner tonight. If you don’t mind the risk of losing your kitchen, and possibly your apartment,” he joked.
“As long as I don’t lose you!” I answered while patting his knee. I continued the drive home making quirky jokes and putting my flirting skills into good use. I really did like Harry as more than a friend but I did not want to jeopardize what we already had together so I kept it to myself. It did not stop making me wonder though if he could possibly feel the same way.
We got back to my apartment and Harry unpacked his things and we went to the supermarket together to pick up his ingredients for the dinner tonight. I could tell the jet-lag was getting to him a little bit but he wanted to start cooking since it was already getting late when we returned.
I sat at the stool by the bar in the kitchen and watched him as he prepared the meal. He was stuffing the chicken with mozzarella and wrapping it in Parma ham and then he threw it in the oven and moved on to peeling potatoes.
“I must say Mr. Styles, coming from a girl who likes to cook you are doing a very good job,” I said giving a playful smirk.
“Louis has made this dish a few times so I figured I would give it a go. This is special, homemade mash, nothing out of the box!” he said proudly as he continued peeling the potatoes. He cooked them and started mashing them and adding the milk and butter. We were joking around as the meal kept cooking and I was so glad to have my best friend back. I watch all their interviews and read all the magazines but it is just not the same without him next to me.
Harry checked on his chicken and pulled it out of the oven. “I’m going to get a little inventive, maybe finish it off in the pan to make it crispy, like they do on TV,” he said while grabbing the bottle of cooking wine. I looked at him cautiously, reminding him to be careful. He put the chicken breasts in the pan and poured in some wine and next thing you know flashes of yellow and orange were rising from the pan.
“Oh shit Katelynn!” he exclaimed jumping back from the stove. I jumped up from my seat and grabbed the lid to the pan and covered the chicken with it to smother the flames. When the flames died down I lifted the pan to find two burnt chicken breasts with black and crispy ham. I looked back up at Harry and we both started howling.
“Get out of my kitchen!” I joked in between laughs and he left the kitchen and entered the living room crying from laughter. I followed him as we both landed on the couch still looking at each other and giggling.
“You’re the chef, I nominate you to cook next time!” he joked putting his arm around me. I could tell by the expression on his face that he thought maybe he went too far but that quite honestly he didn’t care. He pulled me in closer and I rested my head on his chest and I could hear his heartbeat get slower and reach its normal pace over time.
“I have to admit now that it’s all over, that was pretty funny,” I said curled up in his arms. “Maybe you need to go back on that cooking show again?” I asked sarcastically looking up to meet his piercing eyes.
“I tried! I was just trying to impress you,” he said looking back down at me with a blush across his cheeks.
“Harry Styles felt the need to impress me? What for?” I joked looking back down and wrapping my arms around him. I was comfortable with him, I didn’t care.
“Because I love you,” he whispered resting his chin on top of my head.
I pulled back slightly and looked up at him. His eyes showed him pleading for a response. On the outside I was collected but on the inside my mind was racing and my heart was pounding but all for the right reasons.
“Good, because I love you too,” I answered. He leaned down and pressed his lips against mine for the first time. Yes he had to leave in a week to go back to England and the distance would be hard but right now I could not be happier. I wrapped my arms around him again and rested my head back on his chest. He turned the TV over to the FoodNetwork as we started brainstorming the menu for the next kitchen adventure.