Doubt

his words were vicious, her insecurities were true.

Trinity frowned at herself in the mirror as she trailed over hands over her smooth, naked skin. The dark chocolate color was always something she loved; her complexion had stayed clear through high school even as all her friends were plagued by persistent acne. Her hands cupped her small breasts, barely bigger than a B-Cup. She'd always been content but now realized they were small. Just like the rest of her.

She hadn't been graced with the customary proportions everyone assumed a black girl would have. Trinity didn't have the booty that rappers wrote songs about, she didn't have the wide hips or thick thighs. She'd inherited her slim and lean body from her mother who was also just as lithe as her, and she maintained it with proper exercise and diet which she enjoyed.

You're too skinny, she heard Trevor's voice chastise in her mind. Eat a burger or something, He'd always taunt. It always confused her how a man could claim to love a woman yet belittle the body she had. But he was right, she was skinny and it was becoming ever more apparent with his every word.

Maybe you can get that ass implant like Nicki Minaj, he'd suggested after watching one of her music videos, pointing out her nicely rounded bottom. Its so hot. You'd actually look like a woman then... Well, after a boob job too.

Trinity had just frowned at him and stayed quiet, trying to brush off his words but it always ate at her. She had loved her body before him and so had all her previous boyfriends, but it seemed the longer Trevor and her stayed together the more she realized she wasn't as pretty as she'd always thought.

And if it wasn't her body he complained about it was her tightly curled hair, the hair she'd been born with. Why do you like having nappy black girl hair? Its disgusting. Can't you just get it chemically straightened or something?

And Trinity had gone and done as he had wanted but the first time had been the last. She had hated the way she looked afterwards, the hair falling to her shoulders in stick straight strands that while good looking wasn't her.

The moment Trinity's mother had seen it, she cried pleading with her only daughter to leave the man who constant put her down and encouraged her to change herself. Trinity had shrugged off her words, reassuring her mother that Trevor wasn't as bad as she assumed, that he really did love her.

With a deep sigh, Trinity let her hands fall from her body and just stared at herself in discontent as the doubt continued to set in.