Status: In Progress

Burning Desire

Prologue

Jack and Bella Crawford stared at the black-framed wall clock for the ninth time this hour, scrutinizing the second hand, which seemed to linger an extra minute at every passing second. Jack took his gaze off of the clock, silently vowing to not look at it once more until absolutely necessary, not long ago they found out their niece Vanessa Crawford was attacked in her parents’ house along with them as well. Her parents Jacob and Danielle Crawford died on the scene. But, police found Vanessa barely alive and rushed her to the hospital.

She was still in surgery, and they’ve been here waiting for god knows how long. Jack saw people scattered all throughout the room, the clacking of the keys coming from the receptionist and the constant boring commercials from the TV was driving them insane. They wanted to know what was going on with their niece right then, not ten minutes, two hours or forty years later.

The doctor finally came out and called her name. Jack and Bella stood up seeing the doctor walk over. He escorted them to another room, the doctor shut the door.

“Vanessa, had a successful surgery but the road is going to be hard for her. She has a brace on her leg because the bone was shattered and she has screws in her knee holding pieces together. She has a bruised bone on her other leg, stitches on her left arm from a deep cut she had when she arrived. She has a mild concussion and will be staying here for a few days for observation, Vanessa is very lucky.” The doctor told them.

“May we see her?” Bella asked then looking at her husband.

“Of course follow me.” He told them.

They walked into her room, they saw her hooked up to different machines, heart monitor, an IV with three to four bags hooked up to it, and etc. Jack saw her right leg in a post op knee brace with her leg wrapped up in bandages under it with some blood on the bandages as well. He saw her left forearm wrapped as well. She was asleep, of course and the pain meds were making her sleep along with the other stuff as well.

“Do you think she will remember?” Jack asked.

“I don’t know honey, what if she doesn’t want to remember.” Bella told him.

“I’ll make her remember.” Jack replied.