Small Town Secrets

IV

I watch the clock tick, counting down the seconds until my classmates dash out of class to lunch and I can be alone with Mr. Hill. My thoughts bounced between curiosity towards Kade and desire for Mr. Hill, making it hard to get any math work done. I find myself staring into space when the lunch bell finally rings. I slowly put my things into my backpack, waiting for the last student to meander out of the room.
I approach Mr. Hill's desk, waiting for him to acknowledge me. His attention was focused on his computer screen. He finally looks up and smiles a charming smiling that makes me want to melt into my seat.
"Bring a chair around here and we can discuss your test." He says gesturing to the space beside him. I slide a chair over and sit next to him. I take in his warm scent while he fishes my test out of a manila folder.
"I'm shocked at your scores, Brett." He says and I can't tell if his tone is amazed or disappointed, so I let him continue. "You're doing math at a college level student." He finally clarifies.
"What does that mean for me?" I ask and chew on the inside of my cheek nervously.
"I took the liberty of discussing your potential with Mr. Gilling and he has agreed to allow me to come up with a set of course work for you to do to complete the semester." He says and I look at him, waiting for him to elaborate. "I have some text books from my college courses and I will put together a plan for you."
"Will I still be in your class?"
"There is no real purpose for you to be in my classroom, and it's my understanding that you are only taking two other classes, right?" I nod, a bit disappointed at his response. He studies my face a moment. "You're welcome to use my classroom any time you need to, but this will be more of an individual type study."
"So what if there are parts I don't understand?"
"I'm here to help of course, and I would still be grading your work, but I don't think it's beneficial to have me as more than a tutor." I resist the urge to roll my eyes. There's a long silence before he speaks again.
"You know, I took a look at your record, Brett." Mr. Hill says curiously. Your old high school wasn't the best in academics. Where did you learn all of this?"
"I taught myself, mostly. I think math is fascinating. It's logical, there's always going to a solution and always going to be a formula to get to that solution. No question can go unanswered..." I start and look down at my hands. "I've never had many friends... So I never really went out, I spent my time studying and learning." I look at him, his eyes don't wander when I talk to him, he's interested in me - in what I have to say. My cheeks go warm under his gaze.
"You don't need to be embarrassed." He says bluntly and only makes me feel more nervous. "You're brilliant, Brett. I know very few people who think the way you do." I look back down at my hands unable to look him in the eye. He lifts my chin with his finger to meet his gaze. "You don't need to be so shy." He says and before I can stop myself I press my lips to his. My mind is yelling at me to stop, but I can't. His lips slightly part before pulling away and I looked at him, completely shocked by my own actions.
"I'm so sorry." I mutter before grabbing my backpack and making a quick dash for the door.
I make the quick decision to skip the rest of the day and head out the back of the school. I keep my head low as I follow the perimeter of the school, heading towards the woods. I round a corner and collide with a tall body. I look up to see Kade staring down at me.
"I'm sorry." I mutter looking back up at him.
"Who are you?" He asks, his voice deep and quiet. He presses his cigarette to his lips, taking a long drag.
"I-my name is Brett." I stutter. He exhales.
"I'm sure you know who I am." He sounds almost threatening. I nod. "You're scared of me." He says, but it isn't a question.
I shake my head no. "I'm not," I mumble.
Kade snorts. "You're shaking." He points out.
I cross my arms, "That's not because I'm afraid..." He stares at me waiting for an answer, but our attention is adverted when we hear a door open.
"Brett?" A voice calls out. It's Mr. Hill. Kade raises an eyebrow at me and I silently shake my head and place my finger to my lip. He smirks, flicks his cigarette to the ground, steps on it and steps around the corner.
"What are you doing out here?" Mr. Hill asks but Kade doesn't say anything. I wait until I hear the door shut to peak around the corner. All clear. I head into the woods, making my way home.