Small Town Secrets

V

“Hey, kiddo. You staying home again?” My dad asks, pushing my bedroom door open.
“Yeah, I’m still not feeling well.” I lie. Well it’s a semi-lie. I’m fine physically, but my mental health was shot. I stayed home from school the rest of the week, too scared to face Mr. Hill.
“Okay, I’ll be home late – going to stop by the store after work.” He says. I nod and he leaves, closing my door behind him. I listen as he leaves the house and starts his car.
I roll over and open my laptop. I need to talk to Mr. Hill about leaving his class, but I’m far too afraid to do it in person. I find the school’s webpage and quickly locate the school’s directory, finding Mr. Hill’s email address.

“Dear Mr. Hill,” …

No, that’s too formal.

Hello Mr. Hill,

I would like to apologize for my inappropriate behavior the other day.

I would also like to accept your study guide. I will complete the work on my own and return to you only for grading. Please let me know what I need to complete the study guide.

Regards,
Brett


Simple and to the point. I quickly hit send before I can chicken out again. I sit up and swing my legs over the side of the bed. I’m beginning to get cabin fever and am in dire need to get out of the house. I suppose now would be a good time to try out the new camera my grandmother gave me as a going away gift.
I get out of bed and shuffle over to the stack of boxes I am still yet to unpack. I find the camera stuffed into a box full of clothes. I pick it up and walk back to my bed. I sit on the edge and fiddle with the settings on the camera. My attention is distracted by the sound of a ping coming from my computer. My stomach instantly drops. Mr. Hill sat on his computer all day, I don’t know why I’m so shocked at how fast he responded.
I set my camera next to me on the bed and pick up my laptop. I double click the email to open.

“Hello Brett,

I apologize if my reaction was not what you expected. I don’t want you to think that you did anything wrong…

I noticed you haven’t been at school this week. Is that because of me? You’re a smart girl, Brett, I don’t want that to go to waste because you’re focusing your attention elsewhere.

I am happy you have considered my option for a study guide and I want you to feel like I would be a valuable resource to use in your studies. I will begin working on the study guide this week.

Regards,
Landon Hill

Wow, that was it? I can’t help but feel a little disappointed that his response gave no suggestions to how the kiss made him feel.
My laptop pings again, an email from an address I didn’t recognize. I double click it open and read:

Brett,

I didn’t want to include this on my work email as those are not private… I have thought about that kiss every minute of every day since it has happened.

I noticed you haven’t been at school the past couple days. I hope that everything is alright with you and you will come soon as I miss having your lovely face in my classroom.

I hope you will speak to me soon.

Landon


I could feel my heart beating hard inside my chest. Did he really want to see me again? His email made me feel as though there might be something more, but his words are so hard to decipher. This situation frustrates me. I’ve never had a boyfriend before. Guys my age are unintelligent and annoy me… But Mr. Hill, Landon, he was kind to me. He sees my intelligence and actually listens to me like no one has before.
I feel myself getting more frustrated with his email and fight back the tears that are building in my eyes. I take a deep breath and shake it off. I find my desire to get out of the house even stronger now. I put on some black jeans and my favorite patterned sweater. I slip on my hiking boots and pull my long hair into a messy bun atop my head. I slip the camera strap around my neck and head out to explore the woods.