World Is Ugly

Twelve

"Mitchell!" Lexi yelled at the figure beside her.
The cries and the ambulance sirens was all what was heard, the smell of burned bodies hit everybody's noses and the air was thick with the dark smoke.
"Mitchell!" Lexi cried as crawling to the unconcious body on the ground, ignoring her own pain. "Please don't die."
"Ma'am, are you injured?" one young man asked her as he ran to her, but she refused to answer as she only saw was the body on the ground. "Ma'am, you need to get out of here!"
"No! Help him," she yelled and pointed at Mitchell. She tried to fight the other person who lifted her up trying to take her away, but she was too weak and she passed out again.
"Lexi, love.." male voice whispered and tapped softly her cheek as she opened her eyes slowly.
"What happened?" she asked slowly realizing the sounds around her. "Mitchell!"
"It's me, don't worry. Are you okay? Are you hurt?" Mitchell asked her as he was kneeling beside her.
"What...are you okay?" she whispered and sat up ignoring the pain in her head.
"I am," he smiled softly and ran his hand across her cheek. "You have a cut here, on the brow."
"Where-where is George? What happened?" Lexi asked.
"There were bombs all around the hall and everything exploded. George is fine, he wasn't inside. He took you out of there, before he came to me. He's now helping others," Mitchell explained briefly.
"Aren't you hurt? I saw you lying there," Lexi asked as she gently cupped his face.
"I'm fine, don't worry. That is good part of being vampire, fast healing," Mitchell chuckled, but his face softened as he looked in Lexi's big dark eyes.
"I thought I lost you," she whispered.
"I promised you, I'll always be by your side. So don't be scared, I'm not going nowhere," he said and tucked a strand of hair which fell out of her bun behind her ear.
"I thought you died," she continued as her lips started to tremble.
"Lexi, I'm here, I'm here with you. We are safe now," he said softly and his heart broke as seeing her pain.
"Lexi! Mitchell!" George yelled as he jogged to them and he kneeled to his friends. "Are you two alright?"
"Yeah, I've been better, but neither of us is badly injured. Lexi has this cut on her brow, but it's not deep and since she's a vampire, it won't heal for a long time. What about you?" Mitchell informed him quickly.
"Don't worry about me. Who do you think should do such a thing? There were so many innocent people," George sighed and rubbed his face.
"I don't know. How many people died?" Mitchell asked him quietly.
"Too many, Mitchell," George shook his head in defeat.
"Lexi!" female voice yelled and Lexi turned around to see her friend running to her. "Oh my god, Lexi, I saw the explosion and I was afraid that..that you.."
"I am alright, sweetheart," Lexi smiled lightly as Carrie attacked her with a hug.
"I was so worried, you all were there and it was, you could..." Carrie sobbed and embraced her again just as Annie appeared next to them.
"Is anyone hurt?" she asked, her tan skin covered with tears, just as she hugged George.
"We're all fine," he explained quickly as letting her go so she could hug all her friends.
"Who would do such a thing?" Carrie asked as she let Lexi go and walked to her boyfriend, but nobody answered her question.
"I am afraid this means only one thing," Mitchell spoke up after a moment of silence.
"We are in a war," Lexi finished his sentence as he squeezed her hand in a support.