World Is Ugly

Three

The days passed and Lexi was hidden in her room for most of the days being broken from her moment of weakness when she killed that guy. She just needed time to recover, although she knew she will never be able to truly do that.
"I found place at local hospital, as a cleaner," Lexi said to her friend and Carrie stopped by the door, as she was about to leave. It was the first time she spoke to her after that night.
"Oh, that is great," Carrie smiled at her.
"Well, it is quite boring, but you know, I..." Lexi trailed off slowly, but still her friend understood what she meant.
"We are not in a movie so we don't have perfect jobs. And besides we are not normal human beings either, so we don't have the right to make our dreams come true," Carrie joked hoping the sarcasm wasn't evident. "How are you feeling?"
"I've been better," she admitted. "Thank you."
Carrie smiled at Lexi and let her hug her. She didn't approve her actions, but she knew she didn't have other chance. She didn't have days off, she had to face her fear every single day for the rest of her life, which meant forever.
After Carrie left for her duties Lexi took a long shower and changed into a something comfortable. She decided to make herself some breakfast before cleaning the house. She was hidden in her room for few days and she knew it was no more time for selfpity. She killed someone, but he was not her first. She but still hoped he was her last.
She was washing dishes when her soft humming was interrupted by a door bell. She took off her yellow marigolds and quickly ran to door.
"Um, hi, can I help you?" Lexi asked the older man as she opened the door.
"Actually, I have a package for George Sands. I should have delivered it to the house on the other of the street, but nobody's home. So I was wondering if you could take it and try to give it to him later?" he asked while scratching the back of his small neck.
"No problem with me, but somebody is there, some woman is actually looking through the window," Lexi pointed at the pretty girl behind the curtains.
"Um, sorry ma'am, but no one is there," he said as he turned around.
"But..." young girl frowned. How he could not see her?
"Sorry, but could you deliver that pack? I have to deliver other things also and actually I may sound rude, but I would be very thankful if you could to that," he asked.
"Yes, sure," Lexi nodded and signed the paper before he handed her small, but surprisingly heavy, brown package.
She returned back to the house, putting it on the table near door and returned back to the cleaning. Few hours later she was finally satisfied with her work and just before she lied down on the sofa her eyes landed on small package and she groaned lightly. She checked herself in mirror and ran her fingers through her silky hair trying to make it less messy, but since it was useless she just grabbed the package and keys and walked out of the house. She made her way on the other side of the street, to the pink house and rang at the door. She waited patiently for a moment before trying it again, but this time she held the ring a little bit longer than necessary. She sighed loudly as she stepped back from the stairs, but a figure in the window caught her attention.
Lexi stared at the beautiful girl, her dark curly hair was spread around her head like a halo, her dark eyes widen as she stared back at her.
"Seriously, sweetheart, could you just open the door?" Lexi called out at her.
A moments later the door opened up slowly and her head popped out. "Can you see me?"
"What kind of question is that? Of course I can see you, I also saw you back today when you were just looking from the window while that guy was giving me this package, and I also saw you moment ago when I was here waiting like an idiot while you were just hiding inside!" she said angrily, but the girl's expression change from surprise to happiness.
"You can see me! That is unbelievable. Come in, please!" she clapped her hands happily, completely ignoring Lexi's angry speech and pulled her inside to her protests. "Do you want tea? Of course you want! Just sit down!"
"Whoa, slow it down. Don't you think you are a little too excited?" Lexi asked as refusing to sit down.
"I'm so sorry, I sometimes may be little too excited. It is just quite surprising that you can talk to me," she explained with a soft smile.
"Oh my god, you are a ghost!" Lexi breathed out as finally realizing why was this girl acting so happy. It was not Lexi's first encounter with a ghost, so she knew they can't be seen by normal human beings.
"What? How...," she started with a frown, but soon the realization hit her face.
"I'm not normal, yes, but I am not going to tell you more," Alexis said quickly and tried to walk out of the house.
"Could you please come here tomorrow? I feel so lonely," young ghost girl asked softly and Lexi sighed a little before nodding her head and running to her house.