Status: Active

Velvet

Chapter Two - Mysterious Chocolatier

Velvet’s P.O.V

It was February 1st at 9:54 A.M. Charlie and I walked around the crowd of people to the front where the other golden ticket winners were. We stood beside four other kids with their parents. Each of them spoiled rotten in some kind of way. I just shook my head at that thought. Charlie and I were just grateful to be here. I turned around and found Mum and Dad who waved at us. I waved back and turned myself around.

Within a minute, the gates opened and a voice overhead sounded. “Come forward.” The voice said. I wonder if that was Willy Wonka.

We all took a step inside the gates. Once we were inside, the voice on the intercom sounded again. “Close the gates.” The voice sounded…too stern, like they were trying too hard. Oh well. I felt a tug on my sleeve and looked down to find Charlie smiling at me.

I smiled brightly back at him. I was excited, I mean really excited. I was going to get to meet THE Willy Wonka, extraordinary chocolatier.

I stood there in silence just like all the others. Nothing was happening. That was odd. When were we going to get to go in? I mean I’m not ungrateful or anything, I was just excited.

After a few more moments of silence, the big giant steel doors begin to open. I squeezed Charlie’s hand and looked down at him smiling. I looked back up and there were fireworks going off along with music.

“Willy Wonka, Willy Wonka

The Amazing Chocolatier

Willy Wonka, Willy Wonka

Everybody give a cheer!

There were puppets singing and dancing and I just jumped for joy!

He's modest, clever, and so smart,

He barely can restrain it.

With so much generosity,

There is no way to contain it

To contain it, to contain, to contain, to contain.

Willy Wonka, Willy Wonka

He's the one that you're about to meet.

Willy Wonka, Willy Wonka

He's a genius who just can't be beat.

The magician and the chocolate 'wiz

The best darn guy who ever lived

Willy Wonka here he is!”

A giant gold and red chair appeared on stage but Willy Wonka wasn't there. I admit I felt a bit of disappointed but that changed when suddenly somebody was clapping like they were cracked out on candy.

Everyone standing turned to look to see who it was. I had to step a bit forward to get a look because I was so short. What I saw was a man with a top hat and big round sunglasses on his face. The man was clapping feverishly with leather gloves. He had a smile so wide that I couldn't help but to smile myself. That must be Willy Wonka.

Veruca Salt’s father turned and looked at the man with disdain. I frowned a bit. “Wasn’t that just…wonderful?” The man laughed then sighed and turned to us with an awkward look on his face, like he wasn't comfortable standing in front of all of us. I could see how that would happen because he was shut in his factory for so long.

I had to wonder, since he was stuck in his factory all these years, who has he been talking to? He had to talk to someone to keep from going mad. Who knows? I questioned then turned my attention back on Mr.Wonka.

We all turned to face him and Mr.Wonka took one look at all of us and gulped. Yes he was definitely shy. I stifled a laugh.

The man pulled out a bunch of cards, I’m assuming to help him greet us. “Good morning starshine! The earth says hello!” As the man spoke, I noticed that he was wearing a tailored suit, it was full of purples and reds. It suited him very well.

A small voice interrupted Mr.Wonka and said “Aren’t you supposed to be up there?” She pointed to the gold chair that was on the stage. Mr.Wonka turned to face the little girl and said “Well, I wouldn't want to miss the show now would I little girl?” That was the first thing that came out of Mr.Wonka’s mouth that was not awkward. I bit my tongue to keep from laughing.

I admit the comment made by Mr. Wonka was a bit immature but what else do you expect when you meet a man that was stuck in a factory for years? After that little encounter, Mr.Wonka continued with his speech.

“I shake you warmly by the hand…” Mr.Wonka stuck out his hand but nobody grabbed it, I’m assuming because they thought Mr.Wonka was very strange. I indeed did not. I rather liked his behavior. Mr. Wonka was about to pull his hand away but I took his hand and shook it…to be polite of course. “Hello!” I said and put on my best smile.

Then I backed up towards Charlie and watched as Mr.Wonka seemed a bit shocked that someone actually shook his head. A smile slowly started to form on Mr.Wonka’s face. I smiled back to reassure him.

“Uh-well right this way then.” Mr. Wonka turned and we all fell in line behind him. We made our way up the stone steps and through the mess of the melted puppets.

We ended up in a long grey hallway with red carpet. There was a tiny door at the end of the hallway but before we even went there, Mr.Wonka began taking off his heavy coat.

“Just drop your coats anywhere!” With that, everyone took off their winter clothing. Something peculiar I noticed about Mr.Wonka was how he spoke. There was something distinct about it and I liked it.

I turned around right at the moment when Mr.Wonka took off those glasses of his and saw the most handsome man. He had brownish-purple eyes with awfully pale skin but somehow it suited him.

I attempted to turn my head before he could catch me staring but it was too late. He caught me staring and gave a sheepish smile to which I gave my own sheepish smile. Mr.Wonka nodded at me then turned back around and told us to follow him.

As we walked down the hallway, two little girls came up behind Mr.Wonka and started chattering. “I’m Veruca Salt.” The little London girl stopped in front of Mr.Wonka and he jumped back slightly. I noticed that he clenched his hands. I shook my head slightly as I watched as Mr.Wonka ignored her and continue on walking.

How odd.

Then the other girl stopped Mr.Wonka and she introduced herself as Violet Beauregard. “I’m going to win the prize.” She said mighty confidently. Mr.Wonka then said “I don't care.” And walked out. This time I let out a little chuckle and Mr.Wonka stopped a moment and tilted his head back as to trying to figure out who did it.

His eyes found mine and then winked. My heart started to sputter. I felt a nudge on my arm and looked down at Charlie who said “Someone’s got themselves an admirer.” I shoved his arm playfully as we carried on down the hall. Surely Mr.Wonka wouldn't want me. He has a huge chocolate factory he needs to run.

We walked forward and ended up in front of the tiny door. From a distance, it was a bit bigger than looking at it from this point. It was super super tiny. I don't understand how we were going to get through the door.

Mr.Wonka looked at us with a weird smile then pulled out a huge set of keys. The keys were a o-ring which held more than twenty keys. How many rooms could there possibly be in this factory? I questioned in wonder.

He fumbled through the keys, searching for the right one. Eventually he found the right one and looked at us as he opened the door. With a slight smirk, Mr.Wonka pushed open the door which was actually bigger than it appeared. As everyone piled in, Mr.Wonka watched their faces. I wonder what was inside.

Well you were about to find out.

As Charlie and I passed, Mr.Wonka tipped his hat and I smiled yet again. 

We walked in and I about jumped with joy. It was the most wondrous room I have ever seen. The grass was a bright green and there were giant chocolate flowers and delicious looking apples hanging from the tips of trees.

“People! Over here!” Mr.Wonka yelled in that joyful voice of his. I turned my head toward him and pointed Charlie and myself over to where he was standing. “What do you need a chocolate river for?” The same girl from earlier asked. Mr.Wonka just ignored her and went on about the waterfall.

“That waterfall churns the chocolate! Makes it light…and frothy!” Mr.Wonka used his hands to talk and his hair bounced along with his voice. He smiled which showed his pearly white teeth.

We came to a stop right beside Mr.Wonka and I could smell the chocolate on him. He must eat a lot of chocolate! I could say the same for myself. We standing beside what looked like a chocolate river. How marvelous! It was beautiful! Liquid milk chocolate! It looked so smooth like you could just bathe in it.

My nostrils flared just at the smell of it. It made me hungry. “Hey! What’s that pipe?” A little boy cried out. I turned to see Mike Teavee pointing at a massive pipe that was hovering over the chocolate river.

“Oh!” Mr.Wonka exclaimed and walked forward using his cane. His cane was full of what looked like little balls of candy. I smiled and let Charlie walked in front of me. We met Mr.Wonka by the edge of the river and watched as the pipe reached down and sucked up chocolate “That pipe sucks up the chocolate and carries it…all over the factory!” Mr.Wonka had to yell over the sound of the pipe.

Charlie took off after that and that is when the fat boy asked if everything in the room was edible. “Of course! Every single thing in here is edible, the grass is edible, even I am edible but that is called cannibalism and is frowned upon in most societies.” I furrowed my eyebrows and laughed. I couldn't help it but that was hilarious! Mr.Wonka turned his head in shocked and had a bit of a smile on his face. I smiled right back and watched as he watched me. He seemed to be real into it because he didn't hear when Violet Beauregard’s mother spoke. “What an odd thing to say.” She looked at him funny then walked off. After wondering a bit. I heard a high pitched scream. I turned my head and saw that somebody had fell into the chocolate river.

I looked at the woman who screamed and saw that it was Augustus Gloop in the water. “I warned him not to touch the water.” Mr.Wonka said nonchalently. I stepped beside him and watched as his eyes moved around the room. He was waiting for something to happen.

“Hey look over there!” Violet Beauregard pointed on top of a grassy hill. I looked over there and there was a tiny man raking the grass. “There’s another one!” Veruca Salt pointed out. Sure enough there was another tiny man. They were wearing red little suits. How odd.

“They are oompa loompas.” Willy said. “Oompa loompas?” A girl asked. “Yes they come from Loompaland.” “Sir, I am a geography teacher and I assure you there is no such place as Loompland.” With that, Mr.Wonka went off on a story on how he found the oompa looms and I found that story to be rather fascinating but the others thought it was just a strange made up story.

As soon as that story was over, the oompa loom pas immediately found Augustus Gloop. “Looks like they are going to treat us with a song!” Mr.Wonka started dancing as soon as the music began. His dancing was starting to wear off on me so I started dancing and Willy noticed and smiled.

“Augustus Gloop! Augustus Gloop!

The great big greedy nincompoop!

Augustus Gloop!

So big and vile

So greedy, foul, and infantile

‘Come on!' we cried, 'The time is ripe

To send him shooting up the pipe!

But don't, dear children, be alarmed;

Augustus Gloop will not be harmed,

Augustus Gloop will not be harmed

Although, of course, we must admit

He will be altered quite a bit.

Slowly, the wheels go round and round,

The cogs begin to grind and pound;

We boil him for a minute more,

Until we're absolutely sure

Then out he comes! And now! By grace!

A miracle has taken place!

A miracle has taken place!

This greedy brute, this louse's ear,

Is loved by people everywhere!

For who could hate or bear a grudge

Against a luscious bit of fudge?"

Charlie came over to my side as the song ended and asked if I had a treat yet and I said no but I was going to. Charlie went to find something else to snack on. After a few moments, I did the same so I could find something sweet to snack on. I didn't know what I wanted because everything in here looked scrumptious.

I saw Charlie over by the apple tree and was trying to reach an apple on the far branch but Violet Beauregard snatched it before he could. Well that was mean. I furrowed my eyebrows and walked towards the chocolate trees.

As I walked around the trees, I couldn't bear to pick anything off of it because it was too pretty. Everything was just…wonderful. Even the bright pumpkins on the ground.

“Are you enjoying the candy?” A voice spoke. I jumped at the sound and turned to find Mr.Wonka standing there with his cane.

I tried not to stutter as I spoke. “Oh..I-I haven’t had anything yet.” I admitted shyly. I looked down at the bright green grass.

“Ah..well you should try…” Mr.Wonka lifted his hand and looked around. He walked over to the chocolate trees and plucked a bundle right off and brought it back over to me. “Try this. It tastes amazing.” I reached out and grabbed it.

I hesitated and Mr.Wonka spoke. “Go ahead…taste it.” He said softly. I smiled and placed my mouth around, biting into it. Sweet, smooth chocolate burst into my mouth. The flavor was like nothing I’d ever taste before.

I closed my eyes and moaned at how good it was. I opened my eyes to see Mr.Wonka nodding at my approval. “Thank you..Mr-“ “Call me Willy.” He said. My eyes widened at that. “Thank you Willy. It was fantastic!”

“I’m glad you thought so! Come on, I want to show you something!” I started to follow Mr.W- or should I say Willy down the grassy hill. The others were already waiting beside the river. There was a giant boat. There was a butt load of oompa loompas in the boat and they were laughing. “Too many cocoa beans.” Willy Wonka laughed.

“Everybody get in!” He then said again. Everyone started to pile in but then Veruca Salt said something about buying this boat. How ungrateful!

There wasn't enough room in the front so Charlie and I piled into the last row. As I sat down, I noticed a warm body pressed up against me. I looked to my right and saw Willy Wonka sitting next to me. His hands were on top of his cane and he smiled at me. I smiled right back.

We sat there in silence for a few moments and then Mr.Wonka then spoke softly. “You look starving, try some of this.” Wonka then grabbed a ladle from who knows where and scooped up some chocolate from the river. “Here.” He handed the ladle to me and I took it gratefully.

I took a sip and it was the most delicious chocolate that I have ever tasted. I savored it then handed it to Charlie. “Thank you Mr-Willy.” Willy leaned over and smiled. “You’re very welcome.” With that, Mr.Wonka laid his hands on his cane once more and shouted

“Onward!”