My Heart's Always With You Now

Chapter 1

I decided on the route that takes me through Missouri and New Mexico, as it is the route I took when first moving to NYC.
After making it to the other side of bloody country, typically, on one of the busiest roads that runs right past LA airport, Brad decided to cut out and not start up again (yes I did name my car Bradley Cooper, I thought it was funny at the time). After progressively upping the obscenities I screamed as I turned the key in the ignition over and over, I decided to call for help, and so help me I’m desperate.

A half hour or so later, Greg showed up. Let me tell you a little about Greg, he’s old, frail and rather cute looking, like one of those lovable grandfathers you see in old sitcoms. But he probably the furthest thing from loveable, satan is in-fact threatened by this man, but like I said, I’m desperate, so here he is.
“I was busy when you called, if you were making this bastard trip why the fuck wouldn’t you warn me so I could turn my phone off” he grumbled angrily as I hauled myself into the cab in his truck.
“Sorry Mr G, I didn’t have anyone else I could call, my car won’t start”
“You fucking grew up in this state and you’re telling me I am the only one who can help”
I just signed, there was no use reasoning with him.
After the tedious trip back to Huntington we arrived on the doorstep of the adoption agency I was so accustomed to calling home. Now I’ve arrived I’m actually a little nervous to go in, but I need to wait somewhere whilst my car was being towed, and I doubt Greg was going to drive me anywhere other than his place of work.
“OH MY GOODNESS IS THAT LITTLE AMELIA CHESTER” screeched a familiar voice. I braced myself for impact as Beth (bouncy Beth as we used to call her) pulled me into a bone crushing hug.
“Hey Beth, long time” I whispered, gasping for air.
“I can’t believe you’re actually HERE, if it wasn’t for the odd Facebook status I’d have thought you dropped off the Earth!”
“Well I have been busy with college work, and New York is on the other side of the country”
“Oooh, what brings you back my dear? Oh don’t tell me it was just to see your favourite Aunty Beth”
I could hear Greg muttering under his breath as he pulled his mop along behind him, I just smiled at Beth and took the place in, the joyless grey walls, dust covering most surfaces, pin board full of posters of missing kids, it hasn’t changed at all in the past 3 years.

After settling down in the local coffee shop I used to frequent as a teenager, Beth joined me when she took her break. She look anxious, which for a person as bubbly as Beth it’s a little odd, but I haven’t seen her in years so I continue to ramble about past, present and future until our lunch arrives.

After we clear our plates, down our coffee’s and ask for the bill, her brows begin to furrow as she roots around for something in her bag, the worried expression not leaving her face she pulls out an envelope and hands it to me. Now I’m beginning to worry, it just has my name written on the front, in messy handwriting. I shoot a quizzical glance at Beth and she gestures for me to open it, this really is odd.

“Dear Amelia.

I hoped this would reach you by your 21st birthday. It is with great sorrow that I never got to watch you grow, for the 9 months I carried you, I loved you with every inch of my soul. I want to tell you why you weren’t raised with your mother and father, but the details I will only tell you in person. I hope that you can find it in your heart to forgive me, but if not I understand. I live in Long Beach and I hope you come to see me.

All my love, mom”
♠ ♠ ♠
So that was the first proper chapter, I hope that it was okay, I'll start writing chapter 2 soon!