‹ Prequel: Isaac
Sequel: Deacon

The Crypt Keeper

Three

My ankle had a slow time healing but it was less painful in the middle of the second week. There was slight pain when walking but it was okay. When the Crypt Keeper showed me around the house, I had to limp in order to move around. At this rate, I could now get out of the bedroom and limp around. I guess luck came to me after all even if I'm being nursed by a dead guy. Okay, that's still kind of weird. I was also almost done with the book he lent me. My favorite story so far is the one about the insane killer dressed up as Santa Clause and scaring the shit out of this woman. (That's actually the first episode I ever saw on Tales from the Crypt) The stories were quite hilarious and sometimes the Crypt Keeper would come in to see what I was laughing at. Another funny thing, we share the same sick humor. Well, it took another week to heal it completely but I'm glad that the Crypt Keeper was nice enough to help me out, even though he scared the shit out of me when we first met. But, even though my ankle did heal, I stayed around for an extra day. Why? Well, I felt really close to him. Kind of like a friend you could say. So, I decided to stay around to keep him company before I go. Also, I just wanted to read the stories again! So, as I sat at the bottom of the stairs in the front room, I heard a loud banging on the door. It was louder than what I did that night. I put the book down, got up, and answered the door. To my huge surprise, it was David! Two things that I say this is shocking: One, we were basically out in the middle of nowhere and two, he broke up with me so why would he be looking for me?
"Nicole?"
"David?"
"What are you doing here?"
"What are you doing here?"
"Your mom tried to call you to explain that she was sorry about that Friday night. You never answered so we thought something was wrong. We've been looking all over for you. What are you doing here?"
"I broke down and twisted my ankle while coming here."
"Why would you come to this dump?" Okay, why do I like this guy again? I wasn't about to tell him that my new friend is a dead guy.
"Honestly, David. Do you see any other houses around here?"
"No, but why couldn't you stay in your car?"
"So, you want to be cramped up in a car with a twisted ankle for two weeks?"
"You're being kind of harsh."
"You broke up with me because of my parents."
"And I'm sorry. Will you come back with me? Just so that everyone's not worried about you?" I sighed and thought about his offer.
"I guess. Just let me get my stuff before we leave."
"Sure. I'll be waiting in the car." He kissed me on the cheek and left. I turned around and saw the Crypt Keeper at the top of the stairs.
"Hey. I'm going to leave now. It was nice of you to keep me here until my ankle healed. Thank you."
"Thank you for keeping me company. I never met anyone who loved my book so much." I brought all my stuff out to the front door and looked back at him.
"Good-bye, Crypt Keeper."
"Good-bye, Nicole. And just one more thing before you leave."
"What is it?" He took my hand, pulled me to him, and kissed me on the lips. I grew shocked when he did this. I didn't know he liked me in that way. But, why didn't he tell me this before? His kiss was very long and passionate if you could call it that. When he broke the kiss, I could only look at him in shock. He laughed again at my reaction.
"That's for good luck. You're going to need it." I was still shocked but David's horn brought me back to reality. I gathered my things, put them in his car, and we drove off. But, I couldn't get the Crypt Keeper off my mind through most of the ride. Before we could get back to the main road I looked at David.
"David, turn back."
"What?"
"I said turn back."
"Why? Did you forget something?"
"No. I think I belong there."
"Excuse me?"
"No really. I could fix it up and make it nice."
"What the hell? Why would you go back to a place like that? It could be infested with rats and dead animals." You're only half right. He's dead but he's not an animal.
"I have a friend that still lives there. I want to live with him so that I know he'll be okay. Please turn back." David sighed in agitation and despair but turning the car around meant that he was going to do it. All I could think about was that I was going to be with the Crypt Keeper. We pulled up to the house and I got all my stuff out of the car. I hugged him and we said our good-byes. As he drove off, I ran into the house and saw the Crypt Keeper sitting at the top of the stairs.
"Well, it took you long enough," he said playfully.
"Crypt Keeper! Because of what you did, I couldn't stop thinking of how i like being here. I didn't know it until now but I love you!" Okay, I just realized that I sound seriously corny. I sound like those guys from Romeo & Juliet except not in poetic form (I know, I use them as an example a lot. What else do you want me to say? Corpse Bride? I don't watch that many romance films anyways. Unless you count Silence of the Lambs as a bit of a romance film). Well, I guess if I said it this way or any other way, he'd still laugh. That was exactly what he was doing, too. Laughing his dead insane ass off. Thinking it a joke I almost wanted to strangle him but he started dancing and chanting "it worked" over and over again.
"I knew you'd come back! Just as I planned! Love always finds a way back to it's rightful place!" He dances down the stairs and kisses me on the lips again. Okay, he's a bit crazy too. Oh well, I can deal with that. So, yeah, it's just what it sounds. I love the Crypt Keeper and the Crypt Keeper loves me. I stayed with him and we ended up having a little boy. He grew up to be just like his father except he was half human, half dead (Then again, so is the Crypt Keeper. It was an episode that was very touching...in a weird twisted kind of way). So, in a way, you can say we lived happily ever after.
"...Awww, wasn't that just touching, Nicole?"
"It brings a tear to my eye every time."
"So, yes, I may be tied down but at least I have a child that is happy to continue my work long after I'm gone."
"But you're already dead."
"Not that kind of gone. Our honeymoon this year."
"Oh, that's right! You got me for a second!"
"So, kiddies, though love may be a once in a lifetime shot, you can always remember where to look for your true love."
"In the most unexpected of places."
"Or my house!" *Laughter that trails off*