‹ Prequel: Tornado

Flood

Charlotte

“So, did you tell him?” Izzy asked.

“Yeah,” I said in a small voice.

Izzy, Jennifer, Harley, and I were all gathered in my room putting the finishing touches on our makeup and hair. Izzy was helping me put my hair up. She claimed clubs could get really hot because a lot of people went, even on Sundays. Jennifer turned and grinned.

“You did?”

I nodded. “I didn’t know what else to say!”

She dug around in her makeup back and came out with red lipstick.

“Girl, you are so wearing this!”

I shook my head no. “Are you serious? I’ll look like a whore!”

She scoffed. “No you won’t. Trust me, he’ll like it.”

“Who?” She popped her hip out and put her hand on it. “Oh. I don’t think he’ll even show.” Jennifer nodded once and Izzy held my head in place. “Hey!”

Jennifer opened the lipstick with a satisfied smirk. I bit at her fingers but let her put the lipstick on anyway. We all paused at the mirror before heading out. My dress came to just above my knees. It was one shouldered and black and red. I had strappy black heels and my purse was small and red.

“This is going to be off the hook!” Jennifer yelled as we all piled into my Cadillac. “I can’t wait to get drunk!”

I laughed. “Don’t you have class in the morning?”

“Psh. It’s almost fall break. They won’t be going over anything serious.”

“If you say so,” I said.

“Oh, chick, put this over your lipstick,” she said and passed me some chap stick.

I did so when we got to the club. The line wasn’t too long; it was only 4 in the evening after all. We got in line and I put the chap stick on over my lipstick. We got in line and the girls chatted but I was nervous.

“So… what’s it going to be like in there?” I asked when the doors opened at 5.

“Fucking fun,” Jennifer whooped. I rolled my eyes. “Seriously, though, it’s just a huge dance floor, a bar, and some random DJ.”

I stared nervously. “Will someone ask me to dance?”

“No, Charlotte,” she said, taking my hand. “They’ll see your sexy body and propose on the spot.”

I laughed and pushed her away. We showed the bouncer our IDs and he let us in. Jennifer went straight for the bar and, not wanting to be left on my own, I followed.

“If you ladies will give me your bags, I’ll keep ‘em safe,” the barkeep said.

“You’re a sweetheart, Jimmy,” Harley said.

“Harley?” he asked, doing a double take. Harley grinned at him. He hugged her over the bar. “Girl! Where have you been?”

“Fall semester started, remember?”

He smacked his head. “Of course. I don’t recognize you,” he said to me after saying hi to Jennifer and Izzy.

I held my hand out. “I’m Charlie.”

“It’s great to meet you. You friends with Harley?”

I nodded and Harley put her arm around my shoulders. “This is the chick that kicked Patty’s ass.”

He looked at me. “Well, that earns you a free shot! What’s your poison?”

I laughed. “Rum for me,” I said and he whistled.

“Tough girl. What kind?”

“Bacardi.”

“You and I should become friends,” he laughed and passed me the shot glass.

I downed it and Jimmy continued to chat with us. From what I could gather, he was Harley’s friend from high school. He had dated her brother until her brother had moved away.

“No boyfriend yet?” she asked, tossing back another shot of whiskey and wincing.

“Nope,” he said. “But that’s okay. Oh, I have other people. Don’t forget to come say bye before you leave!”

We waved and I turned to look around. The place had filled up quickly. There weren’t any windows, the only lights coming from above the dance floor. I had taken about four shots of rum and I was feeling restless.

“Okay, ladies,” I said boldly. “We have to go dance before my buzz goes away.”

“That’s what I’m talkin’ about!” Jennifer yelled and dragged me to the dance floor.

I laughed and grabbed Izzy’s hand who grabbed Harley’s. We danced to the music and it didn’t take long for someone’s hands to be on my hips. Whoever he was, he seemed like a good dancer. I had no idea what I was doing. Before we left, Jennifer had given me a quick lesson.

“Just shaking your hips to the music,” she said. “If you’re lucky, you’ll find a guy to grind against.”

The song changed to something a little more sexual and my dance partner pulled me close to him. My heart was hammering as our bodies moved. To my surprise, he kept his hands on my hips instead of wandering all over my body like I had expected. From what I could feel, he was wearing a button up shirt with the sleeves rolled up. For a brief second, I thought that was a weird choice of attire, but then he placed a long kiss on my neck and I felt a strange sense of… familiarity.

I stopped dancing and turned. I blinked a few times to make sure I was seeing right. I stumbled back, my eyes wide, as Turner Penn smiled down at me.

“As sexy as always,” he said and I slipped between a few people.

I rushed out of the dance floor. I had lost him and I let out a sigh of relief. I was about to get my purse when I heard my name.

“You look nice.”

I spun around, holding my fist at the ready but it was just Spencer. I loosened up. He looked nice in a light blue shirt and jeans. Behind him were some guys I assumed were his friends. I recognized Chris.

He frowned at me. “What’s wrong?”

“Dance with me,” I said, pulling him to the dance floor.

He hesitated but allowed me to drag him. When we got to a free spot, I pressed my back against him. I didn’t care anymore. I had held back long enough and, the sudden arrival of Turner had given me the boost I needed. That and the booze still flowing through me.

At first, Spencer didn’t do anything and I turned my head to look at him, frowning.

“I don’t want to cross the line,” he said in my ear so I could hear. “Even more so now that I see you’re drunk.”

I rolled my eyes and put his hands on my hips. “I’m not drunk. Just buzzed. Come on, Spence,” I added with a sigh and held his hands, moving my hips. “Dance with me.”

The song switched just in time and he gripped my hips tightly. I closed my eyes, focusing on the pounding beat and the feel of Spencer’s body pressed up against mine. He wasn’t much taller than me and I could feel his breath on my ear. It sent shivers down my spine and I bent my knees. Our bodies moved together in sync. I slid my hands up his arms and hooked my hands behind his neck.

His left hand stayed firm on my hip while the other slid up to my stomach then down again. I pressed myself against him even more. The sweat between our bodies made my dress slick but I didn’t care. His breath was hot against my neck and, feeling bold, I slipped down his body. His hands didn’t move but, as my body slid down, they brushed my stomach and just below my breasts before I stood back up.

“I thought you said you didn’t know how to dance,” he breathed in my ear. “That was one sexy move.”

I turned my head to look him in the face and we froze. His eyes were intense and the flicked between my eyes and lips.

“Fuck it,” I breathed and pushed my lips against his.

He responded quickly, spinning me in his arms, and pulling me as close as he could. I wanted more and nibbled on his lip. He gasped at my move and I slipped my tongue in his mouth. He put one hand on my lower back and the other he undid the bun Izzy had put my hair up in. My blond hair fell to my back and he ran his hand in it.

Suddenly, he was thrown off of me.