‹ Prequel: Tornado

Flood

Charlotte

I dropped my friends off at the front building, pulling around to the art building. I stretched as I got out of my Cadillac. It wasn’t the most glamorous vehicle, but it got me to where I needed to be. Oklahoma University was a decent college, all things considered. My favorite part was their art program which is why art was my second major.

My first class of the day was art and I hurried in, reaching for my wallet so that I could get my I.D. out. I groped around in my purse and started to panic. I couldn’t find it.

“First my charger, now this,” I grumbled, tossing my head back with a sigh.

“Looking for these?”

I jumped and spun around. The boy from the restaurant yesterday was holding my charger and wallet. I sighed in relief.

“Thank you so much,” I said, clutching them then double checked that my money was still in there.

He chuckled. “I’m not a thief.” He held his hand out. “Spencer Vance.”

“Charlie Brown,” I returned, smiling at my ironic name and he did the same.

“Are you new here?” he asked, holding the door open for me.

I nodded. “I transferred from Texas.” He was staring at me. “What?”

“Why in the world would you come to Oklahoma?”

“I like the art program here,” I shrugged. “It’s better than my old one.”

He nodded but didn’t say anything else as we walked into the large auditorium. He was sitting by himself, something that made me curious. I had seen him around campus a couple times and he was always with at least five other guys.

“Good morning!” Professor Ferrell said, smiling around at the few of us here. We returned it tiredly. “Oh, come now! I know it’s 8 in the morning, but give me a little enthusiasm!”

I laughed. I had only met Professor Ferrell once and that was when I transferred. He was a nice man but too much of a morning person for me. Judging by the way my fellow classmates responded, I wasn’t the only one to think so.

He sighed dramatically. “You college students,” he said, shaking his head and set up his laptop. “Today we’ll be going over classic artwork.” He fixed his glasses and groaned. “Spence, looks like I need your help again,” he added and the boy laughed.

“You need to get your daughter to teach you, Professor,” he joked and sat down, typing a few things. “Which one?” The professor pointed and Spencer double clicked. A PowerPoint presentation opened up on the computer and projected on the screen and I started taking notes. “There you go.”

He patted Spencer’s back. “You’re a godsend, my dear man.”

Spencer just laughed and went back to his seat. He caught me looking and winked. I blushed and returned to my notes. He was a handsome young man, that was for sure. He had icy blue eyes and dark brown hair. He was very muscular but also pale. He didn’t seem like the kind of guy to go to the lake on the weekends.

Professor Ferrell droned on in the background about Vincent van Gogh but I only paid half attention. I was doodling on my notes, already having gone over this before I transferred. I thought back to my old college and counted myself lucky for getting away. I told everyone it was just the art program, but it was more than that….

“Charlotte?” I jumped at my name and looked up. Professor Ferrell was looking at me expectantly. “Do you have an answer?”

“I’m sorry,” I said sheepishly. “What was the question?”

He rolled his eyes good naturedly. “When did Vincent van Gogh paint Starry Night?”

“June 1889,” I said promptly.

“Wow. You’re quick.” I blushed a little. He was my favorite artist. “Well, it looks like my time has run out in keeping you guys prisoners.” We laughed and I packed up my book bag. “Miss Brown, may I speak with you?” I bit my lower lip but I approached his desk. “How did you know the answer so quickly?”

I rubbed the back of my neck. “I just really like art,” I said.

He was smiling. “Hmm. Looks like you have a run for head student, Spence,” he said and the boy laughed, helping the Professor open up his next presentation for the next class.

“See ya later, John,” he said with a fake salute.

Professor Ferrell sighed after Spencer disappeared. “That boy has so much promise. If only….” He sighed again. “Well, you best hurry along for your next class.”

I smiled and nodded, jogging up the stairs and out into the cool fall air. I pulled my hoodie closer to my body. I wasn’t used to such cold weather. I was from East Texas and we were lucky to get cold air in December. I rubbed my nose and stopped by the coffee shop in the main building for an iced coffee.

“Aren’t you cold enough already?” my friend, Jennifer, asked as I walked into my business class.

“It’s never too cold for iced coffee, my dear.”

She just laughed at me as we got out our notebooks and I settled in my seat, trying not to doze off. This was probably the most boring professor I had ever had. I kept myself awake by drinking the coffee and taking notes. Near the end of the class as he read off our homework, I started doodling again.

“Awesome eye,” Jennifer complimented and I looked down. I hadn’t realized I was drawing an eye. “Whose is it?”

“My mom’s,” I lied, trying to hide my blush.

-

I went back to my dorm and stretched on my bed, wanting to take a quick nap before starting my homework. Unfortunately, my three friends came barging in. I groaned, regretting not locking my door.

“Wake up, bitch,” Harley called, slapping my butt.

“Mehh,” I groaned, putting my pillow over my head.

“Time for the restaurant,” Izzy said.

I stared at them. “We just went yesterday.”

Jennifer rolled her eyes. “We’re doing homework this time.”

I sighed and heaved myself out of bed. “Fine,” I grumbled. “What’s so special about that place anyway?”

“It’s not necessarily the restaurant,” Harley explained. “It’s the owner and her fucking hot son.”

“They have awesome food, too,” Izzy said as we climbed into my car. “Juniper Vance, the owner, cooks like an angel.”

“Stop crushing on her, Izzy,” Jennifer teased. “She’s married.”

“Shut up,” Izzy blushed and we laughed as we pulled into the parking lot.

I yawned, following them into the restaurant with my book bag. We sat at a table by the window and I opened my business book. It was my worst subject. I couldn’t get a grip on the accounting part.

“Welcome back, ladies,” someone said cheerfully.

A woman with long red hair and blue eyes stood in front of us.

“Hey, Lisa,” Harley said with a grin. “How’s it going?”

She nodded. “It’s going great. Nice and busy today. What can I get you ladies?”

“Water,” Harley, Jennifer, and Izzy said in unison.

“Sprite for me,” I said. “And can I get some of those fries again?”

“Of course you can. I’ll be right back.”

“Sprite and fries?” Harley asked and I nodded. “Not worried about your figure, huh?”

I shrugged. “Why should I be?”

“Guys!” Jennifer hissed. “There he is!”

They all looked up and I followed their gaze. Spencer from my art class was going around picking up dirty dishes. Jennifer giggled.

“I didn’t know he worked here.”

“Probably just part time,” I said.

“He doesn’t the money,” Harley laughed. “His parents are loaded.”

I just shrugged and stared at my book. “Accounting,” I groaned, pulling at my hair. “I hate this!”

The girls all made sounds of sympathy. “At least you only have to take it for one semester.”

“If you say so,” I sighed and double checked my work.

Lisa brought our drinks and the fries over and I rubbed my hands together excitedly.

“He’s coming this way,” Jennifer said with a high pitched giggle.

“Why don’t you talk to him?” I asked, making sure my credit and debit totals were right.

“You don’t just talk to a guy! You have to get him drunk first. Besides, he just broke up with Patty.”

I just shrugged again and sighed. “I’m never going to get this. I might as well just fail the course.”

Izzy nudged me. “Relax, girl. It’s only the third week of school.”

“Exactly. I should at least have the basics down.”

“So go to tutoring,” Harley suggested.

I took a gulp of Sprite. “You know what, Harley? That’s not a bad idea.”