‹ Prequel: Tornado

Flood

Charlotte

If I had to sum up my Saturday in one word, it would be awkward. Probably the best – well, worst – was seeing Spencer shirtless. That was something I definitely hadn’t expected. I had spent the morning at his house with his mom. After breakfast, he didn’t come down until around lunch time.

“Want to grab a bite to eat before I have to work?” he asked.

His mom had been called to the restaurant and his dad was in the living room watching a movie.

“Sure,” I said and packed up the rest of my books. “Your mom is a really good teacher.”

He nodded. “Yeah, she got me through my semester of accounting last year.”

“Are you a junior?”

“No; I’m a sophomore. I took it early, though, to get it out of the way.” He chuckled, pulling into a gas station to fill his car up. “I’m glad I did.”

While he pumped the gas, I fidgeted with my phone. I was nervous but, at the same time, I was excited. I hadn’t made any guy friends yet and I had a feeling he was at least a little interested in me.

I had thought he’d take us to his mom’s restaurant, but instead he took me to a restaurant called Santa Fe.

“Have you been here yet?” he asked once were seated at a table.

“No,” I answered and looked at the menu. “I’m a big fan of steaks, though. It kind of looks the same as Texas Roadhouse.”

“More or less,” he agreed.

After we ordered, we fell into a kind of awkward silence. He unrolled his silverware and tucked the napkin carefully in his lap, something that surprised me. He then played with his fork, tapping it against the table and looking everywhere but at me.

“It’s nice of you to help your mom out at the restaurant,” I said finally and he grimaced.

“Honestly, I’m just working there to pay off a debt I owe them.”

“Oh.”

“I mean, I love my parents and that restaurant. It just has too many bad memories….”

“I’m sorry,” I said but he shrugged.

More silence. I sighed and looked out the window. It was getting cloudy and the trees swayed in the wind. I bit my lower lip, hoping it wouldn’t be as cold as it looked when we finally left. Spencer started whistling through his teeth and I could feel his leg bouncing against the table.

“Are you always this fidgety?” I asked finally.

He smiled apologetically. “No.”

He bumped the table and our drinks spilled. He groaned as I pushed myself out of the way. His face was red as an employee brought us extra towels.

“Sorry,” he kept saying and I was trying hard not to laugh. “I wonder what other embarrassing things I can manage to do today,” he sighed, running his hand through his hair then cringing.

He still had Sprite on his hand.

“You’re fine,” I assured him and he cocked a brow. My eyes widened. “No. I mean, like, you’re okay. Like, you shouldn’t be embarrassed. Not, like, you’re good looking. I mean, you are but- I’m just going to shut up now,” I mumbled.

He burst into laughter and I glared at him.

“I’m sorry,” he said, chortling. “You’re cute when you’re embarrassed.”

Our food arrived, giving me something to do with my hands. Their steak was good and their steamed broccoli was coated with garlic butter. It didn’t take me long to finish my meal, something that seemed to amuse him more.

I sucked my lower lip into my mouth and it was my turn to play with my silverware. Unfortunately, I had to relinquish it when the waiter came to get my empty plates. I didn’t know if this was a date but, if it was, it was the most awkward one I had ever been on.

“Would you like any desserts?” the waiter asked and I shook my head.

“We’re good. Just the check, please,” Spencer said.

“So why are you taking art?” I asked. “You don’t seem the type.”

He hesitated before answering. “My aunt was an artist. You know that white wall in my mom’s restaurant?” I nodded. “She painted that.”

“Wow! Is she still painting?” He looked away. “Oh. I’m sorry.”

“It’s all right.” When the check came, I tried to pay. I offered to at least pay my half of the bill. His eyes were greatly amused. “How many dates have you been on, Charlie?” he chuckled, putting his debit card in the envelope and passing it to the waiter.

“I wasn’t sure if this was a date or not,” I mumbled.

He ran his hand through his hair. “I didn’t either until now.”

I groaned and leaned my head back. “How many more times are you going to embarrass me today?”

He leaned forward. “Have I embarrassed you a lot?” he asked, his eyes glinting mischievously.

I glared at him and he smiled widely.

“Ugh. Just take me back to my car, Spencer.”

Laughing, he held the door open for me. The ride to his house was pretty comfortable, all things considered. I didn’t expect him to get out of his car and walk me to mine.

God, please don’t let him kiss me.

He leaned forward and kissed my cheek, opening my car door for me while he did.

“Have a good day,” he said with a cheeky grin.

I shoved him a little. “Go to work.”

-

When I got back to my dorm, I put my bag on my desk and jumped into bed. I snuggled down, thinking about lunch. His eyes were gorgeous. I had never seen such a beautiful blue in my life. I yawned and was drifting off to sleep when my phone ring.

“Hello?” I mumbled.

“Why didn’t you tell me you went on a date with Spencer Vance?” Harley asked.

I lifted my head from my pillow. “How did you find out?” I heard laughter in the background. “Get me off of speaker phone!”

“Chill. It’s just Jennifer and Izzy. Anyway, we drove by Santa Fe and saw you two walking out.”

“Oh.”

“So? What was it like?”

“It was the most awkward and embarrassing date I have ever been on,” I sighed, rolling onto my back. I told them everything that happened. When their laughter subsided, I said, “I don’t even know if the date meant anything. It’s almost like, since I was there, it was convenient for him.”

“Vance is known for being hard to read,” Izzy said.

“Didn’t he just break up with his girlfriend, though?”

“It’s not as simple as that, I heard,” piped in Jennifer. “Apparently she’s been cheating on him and he found out.”

I frowned. “I don’t get people like that. I mean, if you’re not interested, just break it off.”

I glared at the ceiling. They were talking about school but I was really listening. After finding out why Spencer broke up with his girlfriend, it reminded me of my last relationship. Only douches cheated on their significant others.

“All right, ladies,” I said finally. “This girl needs some sleep.”

“Did he work you hard?” Izzy teased.

“Shut up,” I snapped but smiled. “I’ll see you guys on Monday. I have a lot of homework to do tomorrow.”

They said goodbye and I hung up. I stretched and checked my phone. It was about 5 but I was still full from lunch. I grabbed a pint of ice cream and pulled Netflix up on my computer. About halfway through my movie, I got a text.

You know, it’s very rude to have lunch with a guy and then not give him your number.

I was confused for a minute then turned red.

The same could be said for walking around shirtless.

Psh. It’s my house.

I thought for a witty response and said, I thought you said it was your parents’ house.

Now that’s just rude.

I laughed. So, you got my number from an unknown source. Who’s the stalker now?

Not unknown. I bribed my mom. I rolled my eyes. John just called me. We have a project coming up and need partners. You in?

Before I could respond, my phone rang and Professor Ferrell’s number popped up. I had forgotten that Spencer called him by his first name.

“Good evening,” he said.

“Hi, Professor Ferrell.”

“I hope I’m not bothering you. This will just take a second. We have a big project and I was hoping you’d work with Spencer Vance on it.”

I narrowed my eyes. “Did you tell him the same thing?”

“No. I just told him about the project. Why? Did he already ask you to work on it with him?”

“Yeah, he just texted me.”

“Are you going to?”

I shrugged. “Sure.”

“Great! See you on Monday! Bring a notebook!”

I hung up and texted him back.

Just as long as you don’t spill Sprite on me again.

… Shut up! See you Monday.

I smiled and went back to my movie after saving Spencer’s number in my phone.