‹ Prequel: Tornado

Flood

Charlotte

I was putting my phone back in my purse.

“Hurry,” Spencer hissed and I frowned at him.

“What’s wrong?”

He groaned. “Just hurry. I don’t want her to-”

“Spencer!” a voice screeched and he groaned again.

A girl with dyed blond hair came hurrying over in four inch pumps. She was wearing a pair of pink yoga pants, a pink tank top, and a thin white sweater. Her face was heavy with makeup. She was obviously shivering.

“Patty,” he said stiffly and I bit my lip.

I tried to open the car door but it was locked. Patty put her arms around Spencer’s shoulders but he pushed her off. She pouted and stomped her foot.

“Aren’t you happy to see me?” she asked, batting her lashes.

“No, actually, I’m not,” he snapped.

I stood awkwardly. Patty hadn’t noticed me yet and I wanted it to stay that way. The last thing I needed was to get caught up in ex-girlfriend drama. She tried to hug him again. Could she not take a hint?

“I said I was sorry,” she said impatiently, putting her hands on her hips. “What else can I do?”

“Nothing because we’re done,” he said.

She rolled her eyes and that’s when she noticed me. She stood up straight and her brown eyes narrowed. I stared back with a blank expression. My hand was still on the door handle.

“Who is she?” she asked in a high pitched voice.

“None of your business,” I said and she glared at Spencer.

“Well?” she demanded of him.

He just shook his head and unlocked the car.

“Stop calling and texting me, Patty,” he said as I got in. He glared at her. “We’re done and no amount of harassment will change that.”

“How about this?” she said and grabbed the front of his shirt and kissed him.

I felt a strange sensation in the pit of my stomach as it seemed like Spencer kissed her back. Then he grabbed her upper arms and pushed her away. He wiped his lips, looking disgusted.

“Leave me alone.”

He got in the car and started it, slamming the driver’s side door, and driving us back to his house. I didn’t speak. I wasn’t even sure what to say. My brain was busy trying to make sense of why I felt jealous.

When we got in the house, we went back to the table where our sketches were sitting waiting for us. I sat down and thought about what to do for my second sketch but all I could see was Patty kissing Spencer and, though it didn’t happen, him kissing her back. I sighed and pinched the bridge of my nose.

“You all right?” he asked and I jumped.

“Yeah,” I said. “I just have a headache. Probably from the coffee….”

“Sorry about earlier,” he said and I shrugged, not meeting his eyes. “Patty is an obnoxious bitch. It was a mistake to even date her to begin with.”

I forced a smile on my face. “You don’t have to explain yourself. It’s really none of my business who you date.”

He frowned at me. “Isn’t it?”

I stared at him, not sure what to say. I was incredibly confused. Was he suggesting that we were on the verge of a relationship? If he wanted to be, was that because he really did like me or was it from the conversation we had? I didn’t realize it right away, but his hand was inching towards mine. As soon as our fingers touched, though, I yanked my hand away.

“I have to go,” I said breathlessly.

“I’ll drive you back,” he said, sounding disappointed.

“No. That’s okay. I’m sure you have- Damn it,” I hissed as I dropped my book on the floor.

He knelt down on the floor to help me. I avoided his eyes, covering my face with my hair. He handed me my business textbook but didn’t let it go. I tried my best not to look at him. He moved my hair so I closed my eyes.

“Charlotte,” he whispered.

I opened my eyes, surprised he had used my full name, only to see he was inches away from my face. My mouth went dry as he moved closer. I was finding it hard to breathe. His nose was touching mine and his eyes were almost closed.

“I can’t,” I choked out and ran out of his house, leaving my textbook behind.

-

I took the bus back to the college and ran as fast as I could to my dorm room. With shaking hands, I unlocked the door and slammed it behind me. I took a few deep breaths to steady myself. When I was no longer shaking, I locked my door. My phone rang.

Spencer was calling me. I shook my head and stuck my phone in my desk drawer, muffling the sound. I got in bed and shut my eyes tightly, trying to clear my mind. I groaned into my pillow. My phone stopped ringing and I pounded my bed in frustration.

Around five, someone knocked on my door. I looked up fearfully.

“I know you’re in there,” I heard Harley say and I relaxed.

“I’m sick,” I lied and she clicked her tongue.

“Let me in, loser. We need to talk. It’s important.”

I sighed and dragged myself out of bed. I unlocked the door and she hurried in.

“Patty’s on the hunt for you,” she said immediately. I frowned. “She’s been asking all over campus about you until someone finally gave in to her annoying ass. She’s on her way right now.”

I shook my head wearily. “Let me guess. She wants to kick my ass because I was out with her ex.”

“Pretty much,” Harley said. “But Charlie, she comes from a family of UFC fighters. She knows a lot.”

“I don’t care,” I sighed. “Just get it over with.”

Harley opened her mouth but we heard, “CHARLOTTE BROWN!”

She cringed as I stood up. I made sure I was still in my shoes and combed my hair. I walked out with my head held high, Harley scurrying behind me.

Patty was standing at the end of the hall. She had replaced her pumps with a pair of tennis shoes. She stormed up to me and, without a warning, punched my jaw. I stumbled back into the wall, blinking. Harley was right. This girl could fight.

She reached back to hit me again but, unknown to her and Harley, I had taken defense lessons after what happened with Turner. I caught her fist and twisted her arm. She yelped in pain and pushed away from me. I stared at her apathetically and she snarled. I was too tired for this. I just wanted to get this over with.

She tried to open hand slap me but I caught her again and this time pushed her into the wall. I twisted her hand behind her back and put pressure between her shoulder blades so she couldn’t move.

“Let me go, you bitch!” Patty screamed.

“I don’t like being attacked,” I snapped.

“You were making Spencer cheat on me!”

I sighed, feeling a little bit of pity.

“Get the hint. He doesn’t like you anymore. You’re just making a bigger fool out of yourself. You seem like a nice girl. Now leave me alone or I won’t hold back.”

I let her go and she glared at me. She huffed and stormed back down the hall. I waited until she was going down the stairs before walking back into my dorm, ignoring the stairs of the girls who came out to watch.