Status: PG-13 for language and mature content

Give It a Try

The First to Know

I went up to my room before dinner to change out of my wet clothes. I was feeling a little disappointed. Twice I had almost kissed Artemis but we had been interrupted. At first I was worried when the geyser hit him in the forehead. I think most of the force was from shock, though. I changed into some warm pajamas and went down to the kitchen table.

“What is this?” I asked, tilting my head to the side at the meat on my plate.

“Steak,” Artemis said. “You didn’t get much?”

“We didn’t get any,” I said and cut it up. “Is it supposed to be pink in the middle?”

“Many people prefer it that way,” Evelyn said. “I can cook it more for you if that would make you more comfortable.”

“No, that’s okay,” I said quickly. “I’ll give it a try first.”

I put it in my mouth and chewed slowly. I was amazed. It tasted amazing and seemed to melt in my mouth. Never before had meat melted in my mouth before. I ate the rest of it before giving my verdict but that seemed to be enough for Evelyn. I was blushing but Artemis put his hand on my thigh briefly. I jerked it away instinctively and sighed.

“Don’t worry,” he whispered, tucking into his mashed potatoes. Just before bed, Artemis’s phone rang. “It’s Larry,” he muttered. “Everyone stay at the table but be quiet.” He answered and pressed a button. “Hey, Larry; you’re on speaker.”

“Who else is there?” he asked, his voice sounding strange through the phone.

“Just the cat,” he lied easily.

As if on cue, their black Maine Coon jumped on the table and meowed. Larry scoffed.

“What’s really going on with you and Deidre? And don’t say you’re just dating.” Artemis sighed and looked at his mother. She bit her lower lip. “Hello?”

“Hold on, Larry. I’m trying to think here.”

“There’s nothing to think about, Artemis! Answer my question! And it better be the truth or I will personally beat your ass!”

I saw his eye twitch and finally Evelyn nodded once.

“All right,” he said, “but you can’t tell anyone. Do you understand me?”

“Okay,” Larry said slowly. “There are other people around, aren’t there?” he sighed.

“Yes,” Artemis said wearily. “You know my mother, Evelyn, yes?”

Larry cleared his throat. “Hello, Mrs. Kilgore,” he said awkwardly.

“Hello, Larry.”

“Deidre and her mother are here, as well,” Artemis muttered. “We… well, the truth is Deidre and I are engaged.”

Silence from the other end. I waited, chewing on my lower lip, as the cat jumped onto my lap.

“This is a joke, right?” Larry asked finally.

“No.”

“I don’t understand.”

Artemis sighed heavily. “I’ll do my best to explain….”

I sat quietly, petting the cat – Spaz – as Artemis spoke. When Larry would ask a question he couldn’t answer, Evelyn or my mom would answer. After they were done explaining, Larry started to laugh. I frowned.

“And what is so funny?” I demanded.

“Sorry,” he said quickly. “I don’t know if Artemis remembers this, but about a month ago I read in a magazine that he was looking for a wife. The media gets things right sometimes, after all. Anyway, I suggested you.” He snorted. “He wasn’t nearly as entertained as I was.”

“I still fail to see the joke,” I muttered, feeling small.

“Shit. I didn’t mean it like that, Dee. You just have to see this from my point of view, okay? You’ve been like a little sister to me for the last six years. I’ve seen you go through some tough shit. Now Artemis, on the other hand, I’ve known much longer. I also witnessed how he had a habit of… hooking up with girls.”

“We’ve talked about that,” I said quickly when I saw the sad look in Artemis’s eyes.

“I hope so because, when you do announce this, you’re going to be hit with a lot of women.”

“I’m going to bed,” Artemis muttered. “Bye, Larry.”

He stood and left. Larry sighed through the phone.

“You don’t have to buy my silence, Evelyn,” he said, referring to her previous comment. “I love Deidre and Artemis too much to let their lives get hectic sooner than they need to be.”

“I’m going to go talk to Artemis,” I said softly. “I’ll see you at 8:30, Larry.”

“Good night, Dee.”

I left so that he could speak with our mothers and went up the second floor. I knew Artemis’s room had to be near mine for him to have heard my nightmare. Across from my door, was a room that was playing music. I knocked gently.

Artemis sighed when he saw me. “Sure you want to talk to me?”

“Positive,” I said and he stepped aside so I could walk in.

His room was simple enough. He had a queen sized bed and a desk with his laptop. He had band and movie posters on his walls. One wall was painted dark blue and, under the posters, I could see the other three were light blue. Blue seemed to be the prevailing color here. The music was coming from his laptop. He was on Facebook looking at pictures. He tossed himself back in the desk chair and I sat at the edge of the bed.

“Who is this band?” I asked finally.

“Imagine Dragons.”

I nodded and looked around for something to talk about. “Is blue your favorite-”

“Don’t bother,” he said and I sighed. “I know why you’re in here so just say it.”

“Say what?”

He swiveled in the chair, crossing his arms. “You think I’m a slut, don’t you?”

“No,” I said honestly and he arched a brow at me. I shrugged. “So you played around when you were younger. Did you learn your lesson?” He nodded slowly. “Then it’s over.”

He sighed and shook his head, going to his dresser and finding pajamas.

“That easy for you to say now, Deidre,” he said. “But Larry was right.”

“Are you worried I’ll be scared off?” I asked, standing and turning my back while he changed.

“That life is behind me,” he mumbled. “It’s not who I am anymore. I don’t want you to know that guy.”

I glanced behind me and turned red when I realized he was only in his boxers, trying to figure out how his pajama pants.

“Damn, how does she fold these things?” he grumbled. "I hate it when she does my laundry."

“Let me see,” I said and he tossed them over my shoulder. I figured he was just frustrated because they weren’t that hard. I passed them back over my shoulder and jumped when I felt his chest. I cleared my throat. “The only way I’d meet that Artemis is if you show him to me.”

“But you’ll read and hear things like what Carla said,” he argued. “You can turn around now.”

I crossed my arms at him and cocked my hip. “Artemis, do you want me to see that part of you?”

He frowned. “I just told you I didn’t.”

“Then don’t show me,” I repeated firmly. “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have listened to Carla. I know she doesn’t like me and, if I had known she dated you then I would have been less inclined to listen to her. I don’t judge people based on their past. I don’t have any room to.”

He nodded but still wouldn’t meet my eye. I looked over at his laptop. He had a box open from one of his friends. He saw me looking and went over.

“It’s Mike,” he muttered. “He wants to know about the damn party.”

“What party?” I asked, glad that the air was easier.

“My friends are throwing a party this weekend,” he said slowly. “That’s a good time to introduce you.... Think Larry would give you Saturday night off?”

I nodded. “If I ask him, I’m sure he would.”

“Good.”

“Well, I’m going to bed,” I said, walking to the door. “Are you feeling better?”

“Yeah,” he mumbled. “Thanks.”

I nodded. “Good night,” I whispered.