Status: PG-13 for language and mature content

Give It a Try

The Fountain Proposal

Aside from Kelly mentioning Alicia, Thanksgiving went really well. My family really embraced Deidre and I was happy for that. Kelly didn’t talk to her at all during the dinner or afterwards when we passed around early Christmas gifts from my two uncles who wouldn’t be there. They had both gotten Deidre some perfume.

“I know it’s much,” Uncle Kyle said but Deidre beamed.

“It’s great! I’m sorry I didn’t get anything for you!”

“Don’t worry about it,” he promised.

Another football came on and Deidre yawned. She leaned into me and I smiled down at her. Her eyes were slowly closing until she finally fell asleep.

“She’s a wonderful young woman,” Uncle Kyle whispered.

“Yeah, she is,” I smiled as she snuggled closer, shivering a little. I put a blanket over her. “I’m a lucky guy.”

“How long have you been together?”

“About three months.”

Aunt Amanda smiled. “When are you going to propose?”

I blushed as Uncle Kyle said, “Oh come on, Amanda. They haven’t been dating for that long.”

“He loves her, though. I can tell.”

I cleared my throat and turned my eyes to the TV. I had planned to propose to her today at dinner but, after what happened with Kelly, I figured it wasn’t a good idea. Now that I thought about it, though, it wasn’t a very romantic way to propose.

I sat there, Deidre starting to snore, and contemplated different places to propose. It took me about an hour before I finally found the right place.

-

Deidre woke up just as everyone was leaving. She went to shake hands but they all pulled her into a hug. She looked uncomfortable but accepted them all the same. Kelly, though, left without saying anything.

“Hurry and change into something warm,” I told her and she frowned. I ushered for her to leave. “Go, go. Be ready in ten minutes.”

“What are you doing?” my mom asked and I pulled her and Janine into the dining room.

“I know where I’m going to do it,” I whispered. “But I need your help.”

—Deidre—

I was still a little sleepy after the food but I changed into a pair of blue jeans, black winter boots, and a long sleeved red shirt. I stopped by the coat closet and got my coat.

“Okay, Artemis,” I called. “I’m ready.”

He didn’t respond and I frowned, going into the kitchen. My mom and Evelyn were standing in there with their coats on.

“Where’s Artemis?” I asked.

“Oh, he wants us to meet him there,” Evelyn answered.

I frowned. “Meet him where?”

“Put your coat on,” my mom said, her voice shaking.

“Are you okay, Mom?”

“Yeah, I’m fine. Just a little tired from all the food.”

“Okay,” I said slowly and got in the car.

Evelyn groaned as she started the car. “I really don’t like driving on the ice.”

“So why isn’t Artemis driving? Where is he?”

Evelyn didn’t answer and I got worried. He didn’t go to talk to Kelly, did he? I hoped not. She was just a little girl who didn’t understand. When I was her age, I couldn’t understand why my father was hurting my mom and I.

I yawned and closed my eyes. I didn’t know how far Kelly lived so I leaned my head back. Perhaps I could take a nap and be awake enough to try and calm Artemis down. I didn’t get a chance to fall asleep, though, when the car pulled to a stop.

“This is where we drop you off,” Evelyn said cheerfully.

“Why?” I asked, frowning. “The fountain is closed.”

“We’ll be back in an hour,” my mom said. “We need to get some Christmas gifts.”

I sighed heavily. “All right. But if Artemis isn’t here and you’re ditching me, I’m going to kill you.”

My mom just laughed and I got out. They drove off and I frowned around me. It was snowing again and I climbed over the small gate. I put my hand out to catch snowflakes, wandering around and waiting for Artemis to make his presence known.

I smiled down at the holes in the floor. When spring came, I was certain it would be working again. I hummed to myself and skipped around the holes.

“Careful or you’ll trip.”

I squealed. “You scared me.”

He was standing in front of the bigger geyser. He had his coat on and a pair of nice jeans. He smiled at me and held his hands out. I walked over and took them.

“What’s going on? Our mom’s totally abandoned me here,” I pouted.

“That’s because I asked them to,” he said and I glared at him.

“Not funny, Artemis,” I said and he dropped my hands, smiling tenderly at me. “I have no gloves, it’s freezing out, I’m sleepy, and- What are you doing?”

He put his hand into his pocket, slowly getting down on his knee. I gasped and put my hand my over my mouth. I took a step back, my heart pounding in my chest.

“Ar-Artemis?” I whispered but he just kept that smile on his face.

He took a small red velvet box out of his pocket and I bit my lip.

“We’ve been through a lot, Deidre Scout,” he whispered. “From the first time we met, to Julia, to your father, to today. Looking back on it all, I see how much I love you. I know our mothers pretty much forced us into this,” he added and opened the box, “but I’m doing this because I love you. All I can do now is hope that you agree to be with me. Not because of our mothers, not because of the business, and definitely not because of what people are expecting of us. I want you to say yes because you love me, too.”

He bit his lower lip and looked up at me. I was stunned. I tried to find my voice but I couldn’t. The ring was gorgeous. It was silver with a heart shaped diamond. His smile was starting to fade and he was looking scared.

I got down on my knees carefully and took his face in my hands. His eyes flicked between the two of mine us I leaned and kissed him carefully.

“I love you, Artemis Kilgore,” I whispered. “I don’t care what happens around us. I don’t care about your family, your business, and definitely not about the business. Even if we were to become homeless, I would still love you.” I took a deep breath, closing my eyes. “There is nothing I’d love more than to marry you.”

He pressed his lips to mine and pulled me close. I kissed him back, tears of joy falling down my face as I wrapped my arms around his neck. I leaned into him and he fell onto his back, laughing into my lips.

I heard people clapping and looked up. Our mothers were gathered as was Larry and some of his family members. I laughed and got off him, standing up and straightening my shirt. He stood and slid the ring onto my finger. I kissed him again.

“I was afraid you were going to say no," he laughed breathlessly.

I hugged him, grinning into his neck.