Sequel: The Master of Tides
Status: Rating for language and mature content.

Night Enchanted

Meeting

“Camilia! Wake up you lazy daughter!”

I groaned and turned on my side. “I’m dead, papa! Dead people don’t do work!”

My door opened and my father, Gerard, pulled my blankets off of me. I shivered.

“Wake up! The chickens need feeding.”

I groaned again and sat up, rubbing my eyes. “Oh, fine.”

He was about to leave but then stopped. He narrowed his eyes at me.

“Were you in the forest last night?” he demanded and I gasped.

“Of course not, papa! You told me not to!”

He rolled his eyes. “You’ll learn your lesson one of these days, Camilia.”

I got dressed in a brown work dress and a pair of wooden clogs. Still yawning, I went outside to feed our six chickens. As I sprinkled the feed among the pecking birds, I stared at the forests behind my cottage.

For the last ten years, I had snuck out to look for the elves. I could never find them, though. They were cleverly hidden. My father always said that they were masters at hiding. But I swore I would find at least one of them. That’s all I wanted: to see a little elf.

My father quickly grew tired of my antics, though. I was now 18 years old; much too old for a woman to be without a husband. I was too odd for the men in our village, though. Sure, I was beautiful but no man wanted a wife that read and could wield a sword. They wanted a submissive wife to have dinner ready when they returned from their work day and polish their shoes. That life wasn’t for me.

“Ouch!” I cried.

A hen had gotten too tired of waiting and pecked my exposed ankle. Surprised, I let the bucket fall. I huffed and picked it back up. All of the chickens descended upon the spilled grain and I knew it was futile to try and scoop it in. Instead, I put the bucket back on the fence and went inside to make breakfast for my father.

My mother had died when I was a little girl from the plague. Ever since then, it had been just me and my father. I liked it that way, though.

I pulled my hair back and whistled while I put the eggs on the pan. The door opened and I turned. My father had returned and his eyes were excited.

“What has you so happy?” I asked.

He handed me an envelope. “While I was selling the horse, a young boy gave this to me. Open it!”

I hesitated but did as he said.

Gerard,
My name is Theodore Jensen. I have sent my youngest brother in hopes that you would accept my request for your daughter’s hand in marriage. Please have your response sent in the usual manner.


I stared at the letter in my shaking hands. I pulled my lower lip into my mouth and looked up at my father. He was looking ecstatic.

“Finally!” he said, taking my hands. “Do you know who Theodore Jensen is?” I shook my head. “He is a rich young man that lives closer to the castle! Oh, Camilia, this is wonderful!”

“I…. Yes, I suppose it is,” I whispered.

“We will visit him tomorrow,” he breathed. “Wash your best dress, my dear!”

“Yes, papa,” I said, turning back to the breakfast.

I tried not to cry. I didn’t want to get married; especially to a rich bachelor. My father wrote his response and hurried to send it. By the time he got back, breakfast was on the table. I pretended to be happy, knowing this is what my father had wanted for me.

For me, though, it meant one thing:

I would never find them.

-

I changed into a pair of my father’s old trousers and shirt. I pulled my hair into a tie and crept out of my room. After making sure my father really was asleep, I grabbed my hidden sword and slipped out of the door.

It was a full moon and I hoped the legend that they came out then was true. Then, after ten long years, I’d finally find one before my hand was taken. I walked through the brush quietly, feeling incredibly sad.

I took my usual path. The bushes around it had bent to my foot path. I had been going there for so long. I nibbled on my lower lip, distracted by what had happened this morning. Perhaps, if I hadn’t been so focused, I would have seen the arrow flying at me.

I yelped as it struck the tree beside me. I froze in fear. I could hear footsteps behind me. Slowly, I turned to face my attacker, my sword at the ready.

My jaw dropped and his eyes widened. For a while, we stood in silence, staring at each other. A cold wind blew through, lifting his hair and the sleeves of the shirt I was wearing.

He had long red hair. He was dressed in skin tight green clothing. His shoes were brown leather. The bow and arrow he had pointed at me were silver. Slowly, he lowered them, his eyebrows knitting together in a frown. His eyes were the most startling shade of silver I had ever seen.

“You are a human,” he said finally and I gripped my sword tighter.

“What are you?” I whispered. Wind blew his hair up and I saw pointed ears. I gasped and, without thinking about it, I approached him. My hand was extended and, before I could touch the ear, he caught my wrist. I blinked and felt my cheeks go pink. “You’re not tiny,” I blurted.

“And you aren’t a giant,” he whispered, tilting his head. “In fact….”

“You look just like me,” we said in unison.

“But I was told you were little folk,” I breathed.

He definitely wasn’t tiny. He was taller than I was and definitely built stronger. He was incredibly pale, though. Perhaps the legend of being forced into their own colony underground was true.

“And I was told you towered as high as the trees.”

I laughed. “No human could ever reach that size.”

“I’m confused,” he murmured. “What is your name?”

“Oh! I am Camilia. What is yours?”

“I am Elwin Morro,” he said with a deep bow. “It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance.”

“Yes, the same goes for me.”

We stared into each other’s eyes for a long time when suddenly a twig snapped. His head snapped to the side.

“Elwin!” a voice whispered. “Where have you gone!?”

“I’m not supposed to be here,” I breathed.

I made to leave but he grabbed my hand.

“Will you be back?” he asked and I hesitated.

The footsteps were getting closer and I looked back into those silver eyes.

“Yes,” I said without thinking about it. “Tomorrow night, I will be back.”

He let me go and I ran back to my home, my heart thudding painfully. When I reached my cottage, I looked behind me. All was still and quiet. I could see the tree where Elwin’s arrow had barely missed me. The arrow was gone.