A New Dawn

You Should Know

It's been a few weeks here in Brooklyn and I simply cannot remember this place. It is so different I sometimes forget where I live. I basically live in a huge mansion. You have to nearly drive a mile up the driveway to get to the gated entrance which is heavily guarded. The house itself from what Ive explored has 9 bedrooms and 11 bathrooms. Like who really needs all this space for a house? A few people that Javien works with stay here every now and again but Dante lives here all the time. He seems to be more of Javiens body guard than anything. Ever since we've been here he follows him around no matter where we go. Curiosity was really beginning to eat away at me. I wanted to know just about what Javien does but I don't want to straight up ask him because I don't want him to get upset.

"What's up girl." Dante greeted joining me at the kitchen table.

"Hey, what do you guys have planned for the day?"

"I'm not sure Javien's been in his office since Ive been up so I'm not really sure."

The office is one place I have never been in. Javien has never invited me in and Ive not had the balls to go snooping either. But Dante, he seemed like a really nice friend. He was someone to talk to because Javien has really been tied up in work that he hasn't really had time to so much as say hello to me.

"Does Javien plan on having a day off soon?" I snickered swirling my spoon around the cereal bowl.

"You miss him huh?"

"I do, I mean I guess I'm just being selfish."

"No I can see he means a lot to you."

"He does. I mean am I an idiot if I don't really know what he does for a living? Or am I stupid because I kind of have an idea but don't want to know the truth?"

"I think you are just a woman in love with a man. Who see's a man for who he is as a person rather than what he does for a living."

"But would I look at him different if I found things out about him that I might not like?"

"If you truly love someone it doesn't matter what they do."

"You're easy to talk to. Thank you." I smiled getting up to go to my room.

I shut the door to my room and dove face first into the pillows on my bed. I huffed in frustration and began to cry a little bit. Just thinking about life and how lonely I have been feeling.

"Those mother fuckers think they can play me!" Javien came in raging, violently ripping his tie off from around his neck. "Baby whats wrong?" He asked noticing me just laying there buried in the pillows.

"Nothing." I groaned not showing him my tear stained face.

"Tell me what's wrong." He spoke softly sitting next to me.

"It's really nothing. Me just being me."

"Baby, you just being you is smiles and laughs. This is sad and mopey Rae."

"I guess I'm just being selfish. I feel a little lonely here lately and I'm just being a baby."

"Rae, I never want you to feel alone. Nothing in this world is more important that your happiness. You have to tell me when you're sad. I get caught up in my work that I forget what's really important. I'm sorry because I should know when my woman is hurting. Look tomorrow is our 6 month anniversary my love and I'm spending the whole day with you doing whatever you want to do."

"I just want to spend time with you. I don't care what we do I just want to see your face and hear your laugh."

"You are the simplest plain Jane girl I've ever met."

"And you love me for it!" I cheered tackling him over.

That night I was very restless my body was going through hot and cold flash spells and I felt achy. Once it seemed like I finally got to sleep Javien rose very quickly up and began screaming and shouting about something. He was jumping around like a crazy man throwing pillows and just not making any sense in what he was shouting about.

"Javien! Baby wake up you're dreaming!" I tried grabbing his arms to get his attention but he was inconsolable. "Javien!" I screamed again which he got his right hand loose and punched me in my throat with so much force i did a back flip off the bed to the floor.

"Boss!" Dante shouted rushing in and turning the lights on.

"What!? What's happening!?" Javien asked finally waking up scanning the room as if there were an intruder. "Baby!" He jumped to the floor seeing me wheezing.

"You..Punched me." I breathed out trying to catch my breath.

"Watch out you have to massage her throat." Dante spoke grabbing my throat with both of his thumbs and massaging it.

"Jesus Javien. What were you dreaming about?" I asked finally able to pull myself back together.

"Never mind that, are you alright? I'm so sorry, I didn't even realized I did that. Please believe me I would never put my hands on you."

"I know, it's alright I know you were fighting someone."

"Boss I've never heard you have dreams like that before." Dante added.

"It was awful. All I could see was the house being raided by an army of people and someone had Rae and I was trying to fight them all off her. No matter how much I fought I was failing."

"Babe you're stressed. You've been working to much and you've put your focus on something that you ought not have your focus on. Nothing is going to happen to me. I'm safe with you so no worries."

"I need you to come with me." Javien still shaking at what he had done grabbed my hand and led me down the steps. We rounded the hallway and he led me to where I'd never been before. His office. "I need you to know the truth about who I am. I hold guilt in my heart because I feel like you should know exactly the person you're in love with."

"Alright then." i spoke calmly sitting in a brown armchair a bit to the left of his desk.

"I was adopted into a very tight knit family. Very secluded and loyal among the family. When I turned 18 my adopted father who I did refer to as my father brought me in here just like I am with you and introduced me to the family business. He explained to me how powerful he was and that everyone respected him. He wanted me to join him but he wanted me to work for it. Already having seen so much from foster home to foster home I really didn't mind all the grunt work he gave me. Beating people up who didn't pay back the loans he gave out or taking part in silencing a few people. My father passed away as soon as he knew I could take this all over since his only biological son had died way before he had adopted me."

"I see." I said very silently trying to process what I was hearing.

"Now, what the FBI told you was true about me. I have killed people. I have ordered people to kill others. I do not single handedly sell drugs. I'm more of the over seer really. I have a partner who gets the drugs and he entrusts me with finding a buyer and making sure the deals get taken care of. I loan people money who have no credit to get from the banks. The penalty is simple with that if you try and fuck me with money something bad happens to them. I am a business man, I love to do business and make money but don't fuck with me or my family and we'll get along just fine." Javien finished explaining.

I never took my eyes off of Javien, even when he was finished talking I just stared at him. I had a feeling he was into something like this but I never dreamed he was capable of taking someones life. He just doesn't seem like the type to be strong enough to do something like that. I guess I would hate to see the day where he would give me the same anger he gives people who fucks him over. At this moment I guess I was so shocked I didn't even know how to answer him.

"Rae, say something please."

"I guess my only concern is, is what happens when someone comes to kill you?"

"They've got to go through a pretty large army to get to me."

"I just...ugh, don't want to know about the killings. I can't process that right now."

"Please don't think less of me. Since knowing you I've felt more calmer and not so hot tempered."

"I'm not judging. I just don't want to know about any of this please."

"Fine." He sighed feeling ashamed and almost regretting telling me all of this especially at 4am.

I went back and got into bed. Feeling another hot flash and stomach pains I took some sleeping medicine to hurry me to sleep. Maybe i'll forget about what I just digested.