Blackwater Flower

I had only been a little girl when my momma died of consumption. It tore me and my daddy all to pieces- but that didn't stop him from eventually moving on and finding a new woman to marry.

She didn't exactly approve of the way daddy handled things. She definitely didn't like that daddy didn't marry me off as soon as I flowered into a woman. Said it's the way the world worked and that I should own up to it- stop hiding behind my daddy. In all honesty, she wasn't that great of a woman. I didn't see what exactly my dad saw in her.

Though, it didn't matter what I thought, she wasn't my wife.

Even still, things were soon to change and I soon came to learn that the world did not care what I wanted. My daddy died along with the winter of 1934, and I was left alone with my step mother- though not for long.

It was when Spring came that she had made her decision about me; but it wasn't until summer came 'round that she acted on it.

She heard about a job opening just outside of town, and immediately jumped at the chance to give them my name. Needing the help, they were quick to accept her offer. Just like that, she had sold me off to three men I had never met before- but I knew the name, Bondurant. How could I not? Everyone had heard the stories of the Bondurant boys...