Shit, Man!

Faith is a string that’s slowly coming untethered

My hands are shaking as I stand in the unreasonably long line at CVS. I have a basket full of pregnancy tests; two of each brand. My head hangs low as old ladies pass me each giving me a nasty glare and look of utter disapproval. Those looks alone make me want to curl up in a ball and just disappear. I can hear the rumors now. I can feel the shunning and more importantly; I can see the look of betrayal on my mother’s face. She brought me up better than this. She had plans for me. And now, those plans will either disappear or be put on hold.

“Next!” Another cashier, an older lady, yells; snapping me out of my trance. A string of curse words escape softly from my lips as I head towards her cash register. As I unload my basket, her look goes from a harden expression and quickly turns soft. “You okay, doll baby?”

“It’s been a long day,” I manage to mutter as she rings up my items.

“I was there,” she mentions. “I’ve been in your shoes, doll. It gets better.”

“I highly doubt that.” I counter as I hand her the exact total. She frowns as she puts something in my bag before handing it to me. I manage to thank her before exiting the building, hood up and head down. And that’s how it stayed until I got to Isaac’s house two blocks away.

I walk up to the house Isaac has been living in since his mother kicked him out. DMX blares from the house and bass shakes the window panes. After taking a deep breath I walk towards the door and pound loudly on it assuring the occupants hear me. Seconds later Travie, the local drug dealer and Isaac’s cousin, answers the door. A smile appears on his lips as he pulls me into a hug. The smell of weed assaults my nostrils sending me into a coughing fit.

“Sorry Hals,” he apologizes as he lets me out and allows me into the house. “What brings you here?”

“Is Ike home?” I ask, “he’s not answering any of my calls and texts.”

“I think he’s upstairs,” he replies, running his fingers through his blonde hair. “Honestly, I don’t know. I’ve been watching movies with Tori.” He says pointing to his ebony goddess of a girlfriend. “You can go up to his room if you really need him.”

Just as he says that, you can hear Isaac’s name being screamed out by the town slut aka his girlfriend Juliett. I grit my teeth before shaking my head, “naw, I’ll pass on that. But when he comes down and the she-beast leaves, tell him to call me okay?” Without waiting for an answer, I walk out of the house, slamming the door behind me.

As I’m walking away from the house, I hear my name being called out. I turn around and see Tori running towards me barefoot. “Haley, you okay? You don’t seem yourself.” Without saying anything, I open up my bag and reveal the pregnancy tests in the bag. “You sure?”

“I’m never this late, even when I was stressed out about finals and Senior Projects I was only a couple days late. I’m going on almost two weeks.” I reply. “I could be wrong but I don’t think I am.”

“So why come to Ike? Why not the baby daddy?” She asks.

“Ike was the last person I slept with,” I reply. “It was some football player’s house party. We were drunk and fooled around and things escalated from there.”

“Let me get shoes and my car keys, you need me more than Travie.” She pulls me into a brief hug before walking back into the house to get her things.

**

“SHIT!” I yell as pee goes everywhere.

“What is it positive?” Tori asks as she tries to get into the bathroom.

“No, I just peed on myself.” I reply as I finish the test. I stick the cap back on and clean myself up before setting a timer on my phone. I go to the door and unlock it letting Tori in before hopping up onto the counter as we wait the longest two minute wait ever.

“Are you going to check it?” Tori asks as my timer goes off. Tears form in my eyes as I shake my head. Fear settles in and I can’t bring myself to look at the results. Tori gives me a sympathetic smile before walking over and picks up the test. By the look on her face, I know the results.

“I-I can’t be a mother,” I manage to tell her. “I couldn’t even keep my neopets alive. How the hell am I supposed to care for a kid? I’m still a baby myself.”

“Sleep on it, think over everything. There are always ways out of this…”

“I don’t think I could get an abortion. I don’t have that in me.” I tell her.

“We can still head to Planned Parenthood. I’m sure they can give you resources to help you figure out what is best for you and the little alien growing inside of you,” she pulls me into a hug; a tight one. “And remember, I’m here for you Haley. Travie too. Just because he’s Ike’s cousin, doesn’t mean we don’t care about you too.”

“How am I supposed to tell Ike?” A sigh escapes my lips as I run my fingers through my blonde and blue hair. “This wasn’t supposed to end up like this. It was supposed to be just one night; that’s it.”

“He’s gonna want to know, Hals.” Tori sighs. “How about after we figure out what your next move is, that’s when you tell him.”

“We?” I ask her, meekly.

“Did you really think you’d be in this alone?” She smiles. “I got you. You’re my girl; ride or die.”

“I’d be lost without you,” I admit to her. “After this, I think you’ll be the only friend I have left.”

“You’ll be surprised with how many people might actually stay in your corner.” She comforts me. “Just gotta trust me.”

“Ike is going to flip. He’s not gonna want anything to do with me or this child after this.”

“It’s you we’re talking about Haley; Ike will do whatever you ask of him.” Tori counters. “He’ll remain loyal to only you and this child. He knows what it’s like to grow up without a father; he would never allow his child to do the same.”

I know she’s right but fear is taking over. My life is slowly coming unraveled.
♠ ♠ ♠
Haley

comment&subscribe?