Stitches

Full Days Work

Molly exited out of a patient's room marking some things down on the chart. “He’s gonna need Cath put in, and someone please send word that I need his blood samples back asap” She said going to the nurses desk. She smiled at Maggie and April “ you’re having a busy day you’ve been going since you got off of your coffee run.” Maggie said. “Isn’t it great! It’s only my 4th month here and I have fallen right into step.” April said her eyes glancing around her as if making sure the coast was clear before leaning over the desk “even Dr. Zanetti told me well done a few times” Molly whispered. April smiled at her “wow, she’s a rough one” Maggie said. Molly nodded “ I know, you see how much grief she gives Rhodes?” asked Molly before picking up her chart and going to head for her personal locker.

Molly opened her small locker and pulled out her phone, as she did she noticed a few texts, all being from Herrmann. Molly looked around before opening up the last text. It had been a rose emoji and read “C has ladies fellowship, kids @ sleepovers, so Dinner 2night?” Molly smiled faintly, she hated when he cut words short with text talk. She had always had the hardest time reading it. Yet in a way it was so cute that she could not help but smile. “sure, Get off at 8:45” she sent back. Molly’s smile grew as she stood there thinking about it. It had been a month since she and Herrmann had been able to go out to dinner or lunch for that matter, between his job and his family. Not that she didn’t understand, the fact that he was a hard worker and a family man was why she loved him so much, even if wrongly so.

“Good News?” Choi asked as he walked into the dim room. Molly quickly dropped her smile and slid her phone into her pocket before reaching into her locker and grabbing her wallet. “Not really” Molly said casually Choi raised a brow “just something funny April had text me earlier” She said. Choi nodded. “headed for lunch?” he asked. Molly nodded “yep, come with?” she asked. Choi opened his locker and grabbed his wallet “sure” he said smiling. “I’m not going down tot he cafeteria today, though, Med’s got fairly good food but I’d like more flavor today” Molly said with a chuckle. Choi laughed a bit as well. “alright, well lead the way” He said holding open the door as they exited the staff’s room.

Molly giggled loudly as she and Choi in a small Sub place. He was telling her about patients he had seen earlier that morning. Choi smiled down at Molly softly as he listened to her laugh. He loved that laugh, it had to be his most favorite sound. “yeah and turns out it wasn’t a vibrator at all stuck up there it was an electric toothbrush” Choi said taking a sip of his soda. Molly nearly choked on her food and waved her hand in the air in front of her tell him no more. Choi chuckled “are you ok?” he asked. Molly gasped for air after she got the food unstuck from her throat “I’m fine” she said laughing more. “Electric toothbrush?” she questioned, Choi shook his head laughing a bit “I swear” He said. Molly sighed “this is why I love my job” She said beaming “you never know what's going to happen next” she said. Choi nodded and smiled.

“H-Hey! Martin?...Martin!” A woman cried out, Choi and Molly glanced at each other before turning to see what was happening. “A man was clutching his chest as he had fallen out of his chair. “Oh my god honey!?” the woman called out getting up and dropping at his side. “Molly” Choi said getting up “Yeah, I got you, come on” She said following after both doctors dropped at either side of the man, Martin. “Hello there, ma’am I’m Dr.Choi and this is Dr. B. Jones we’re gonna do what we can to help him out” said Choi as Molly laid her ear to Martin’s chest but it was already very clear from the signs this was a heart attack. “Molly glanced down and noticed both of their wedding rings “Miss, your husband's having a heart attack, Choi call Med, have them send EMT” Molly said Choi nodded and pulled out his cell phone and dialed quickly.

The woman cried loudly “Miss what is your name? And what medications does Martin take?” Molly asked, “does he have nay allergies?” She added in the woman shook her head “My-my name is Sara and, I-I don’t know he isn’t my husband, He...we were just on a date” She cried covering up her banded finger almost shamefully. Choi glanced at the woman as he talked to the staff back at Med. Molly gave a sympathetic smile and rested a hand over Sara’s hands “its ok, no ones judging we just want to help.” said Molly gently the Woman nodded and managed a smile.

Molly then turned her attention back to Martin who was now opening his eyes, and sirens could be heard not far off. “Hello, Martin, if you can hear me please blink once” Molly called to him. He groaned in pain but blinked his eyes. “very good, sir you are having a heart attack but the ambulance is here and we will have you to the hospital soon, we’re going to take good care of you alright” She called standing up Molly let Choi and the EMTs left the man onto a gurney. Molly, Choi, and Sara followed Martin and the EMT’s who were two familiar faces, Sylvie Brett and Jessica Chilton. “there won’t be enough room in there for the three of you” Sylvie said Molly glanced at Sara who looked away from Martin distraught. “let her go, It's only about a block away from Med, I can run there, Choi, you go with them, Your skills outrank mine,” Molly said as Jessica and Sylvie loaded Martin into the back of the Ambulance. Choi nodded though he did not look happy as he side glanced at Sara. After Choi hopping in Molly helped Sara step up and into the back as well. “alright, Sara Choi’s one of the best we have he will take care of Martin don’t you worry” Said Molly stepping away as Sylvie closed the doors and Jessica pulled away sirens blaring as they headed for the Hospital. Molly ran back int he Sub port and laid some money on their table before darting down the street sprinting up the block to Med.

Choi and Molly as a team were able to get Martin stable, Sara had not left his side yet, and she still looked terrified even after both doctors had explained that he would be ok. Molly sighed as she watched them through the window of the room. “incoming” Choi whispered to her as he walked to Molly’s side. A woman came rushing into the ER. “Where is my husband!?” she called out. She looked positively frantic. “Miss, Bello?” Molly called stepping forward. “yes, yes that is me, were his my husband, where is Martin?” She asked. “I-” Molly didn’t know what to say, sure he was ok, but-

Molly turned to look back at the room he was in. Mrs.Bello followed her gaze and spotted Sara at Martin’s side. “who is that?” Mrs.Bello asked. Molly bit her lip “a friend we’ve been told, Please, step this way You’re husband is stable, we will be keeping him overnight but he should be cleared to go home in the morning” Choi said coming to Molly’s rescue as she was at a loss on what to do. Molly smiled at him gratefully. “Dr. Jones you are wanted in the ICU” Choi said. Molly nodded and darted off.

With a heavy sigh, Molly entered the teen girl’s room “oh boy” she breathed. Molly felt bad for both Martin’s wife and Sara, maybe it was because it hit too close to home. Only she hoped that nothing of the sort would ever happen to Herrmann, She couldn’t blame Sara for not running away or leaving. You can’t help who you care for, and if you do care for them, you’d never leave them when they need you. She also recalled the disapproval on Choi’s face, she knew now more than ever she could never tell him about Herrmann. Even if Choi had been her best and closest friend, he could never find out. Molly shook her head and banished the thought, walking to her Patients side she checked her over carefully. The girl was breathing peacefully and her stats seemed to be in good shape, it looked as if she would be out of ICU within a day or two at the most. Molly smiled “Oh Kasey, you poor little thing” she said brushing her Neon hair away from her face.

Kasey McMillan had been Molly’s patient for the for month that she had been holding residency at Med. She had no mother or father and stayed with her Grandmother with no known family otherwise. She suffered from severe bipolar depression and had no support around her. Often coming to the hospitable with horrific self-inflected wounds. She was a girl who was looking for love and acceptance in all the wrong places and things. Molly had treated her for sexual abuse, drug overdose, gashes, and more. But nothing could cure this little girl's broken heart. She was only 15. Molly and Kasey had by now had a strong bond, and Kasey would jokingly call her Mom.

Patting Kasey’s shoulder Molly exited the room and decided to try and give Kasey’s grandmother a call one more time before it got to late into the night.

“you missed world war three out here” April said as Molly went to the Nurses station. “Mrs.Bello and that woman nearly came to blows” April said. “Choi’s lucky they were both small women or he probably would have been knocked right out, Mrs.Bello swung pretty hard” Maggie said. “did he get hit?” Molly asked with a bit of concern. “in the jaw but he’s ok, he is in the locker room if you want to go see him” Maggie said. Molly eyes Maggie as she had a strange tone in her voice. “o-kay” Molly said not sure what that was about but left off to the lockers.

“hey heard you got beat up by a girrrrrl Navy boy” Molly said playfully sticking out her tongue. Choi turned to her and smirked in amusement. “nah, just a sucker punch really, and you should be nice ot me, it’s your fault in the first place, that woman had no business coming along” He said. Molly rolled her eyes and walked over to him “oh her name is Sara,” Molly said grabbing Choi’s face she turned his head around to look at both of his cheeks “people can’t help who they fall in love with” she added in a murmur. “yeah but they can try not to act on it” he cut in. Molly frowned for a second, but covered it up quickly. “open and close your mouth a few times like me feel your jaw” she said. Choi did as told, “really though, it wasn’t a hard enough hit to do any damage” he said. Molly let go of his face and crossed her arms “I am a doctor I have to be sure,” she said. “put you will need to ice it at some point you can already see a bit of a bruise forming” Said Molly. Choi chuckled “I think I would know as much” he said before giving her a gentle smile “but thank you” He said.

Reaching into her locker Molly pulled out her cell phone and checked the time. It was now 8:45. “I’m late!” She gasped “Late for what?” Choi asked. “ah, Meeting a friend” She said with a bit of a stammer. “what sort of friend?” Choi asked defensively “oh come on Ethan don’t go big brother mode on me now, I do not have time!” she said gathering her things and darting out of the room. Choi sighed and frowned “right, Big brother mode..” he muttered watching her clock out and say her goodbyes to the other staff.

Back at her apartment, Molly quickly threw on a little plain black dress and matching flats. Her makeup fairly done up but still as simple as the dress was, she used her favorite red lipstick. Sitting down on her sofa she played with her Calico cat Moo while she waited for Herrmann to arrive at her door.

A full hour passed. Then two hours passed

Molly now lay on her back bouncing her leg that was dangling from the armrest. “come on” she breathed looking at the clock. “places are going to start closing soon” she muttered. Her cell phone rang and Molly sat up quickly snatching it up in her palm she answered it. “Herrmann?” she questioned but her voice was still hopeful, maybe he was only a few minutes away, maybe he was just running late. “Hey, I am sorry I couldn’t call sooner” He said whispering into the phone, Molly’s smile fell. “Cindy got off early from Ladies Fellowship and Annabelle got sick at the sleepover so I went to check on her” He said, Molly could hear the muffled sounds of people in the background and the clanging of plates. “Cindy wanted to go out so we’re here at Molly’s” He added. Molly smiled a bit at the irony. “It-it’s fine, Christopher really it is. I understand, is Annabelle ok?” Molly asked, quickly covering her disappointment. On the other side of the line, Herrmann glanced around but smiled at Molly’s question “yeah she was fine, just a bit too much candy, make her sick, once she got it up she was fine” He said. Molly nodded “kiss her once for me, goodnight Christoper” Molly said, no matter how hard she tried she could not cover up the stiffness in her voice. “Molls” Herrmann whispered even softer into the phone “come on, I’ll make it up to you later I promise, don’t call me that” He said. Molly lingered without saying anything “really, I am fine, go now, Cindy will be wondering where you snuck off to, I will talk to you tomorrow” Molly said before hanging up.

With a heavy sighed she set her phone down on the table and her eyes started to well up with tears. “you’ve no business being upset” she told herself “you’re the bad guy here” she muttered. She quickly picked back up her phone and dialed a number. Holding it to her ear she waited.

“Hello, Molly?” Choi answered. “I thought you were out?” He asked “Y-yeah, um things changed” Molly managed, but hearing Choi’s voice always made her want to give into her emotions and her voice cracked. “all dressed up with nowhere to go huh?” He said, trying to lighten her mood. Molly laughed a bit “yeah, um...you feel up to movie night?” she asked him. “only if you are willing to show me how you make that Scotch Broth you brought to the dinner party Staff had last week, I can’t get it right” He said. Molly smiled “fine, I’ll bring the popcorn and soda” she said. Choi chuckled “you stock up too much on junk food” he said “see you in a few” he added before hanging up.

Molly sighed and went to gather her things.

“oh, must have been serious you are wearing the Cherry Bomb” Choi said nodding towards Molly’s lips as she walked into his apartment. Molly sighed and walked to his counter “yeah,well, a little” She said softly. “ Hey, the guys probably a jerk anyway don’t sweat it” Choi said hugging Molly from behind. Molly side glanced “no, not at all actually” She muttered. “well he is to me” Choi said with a goofy smile as he went through the bags. “ Who drinks this much soda?” He asked pulling out three 1 liter bottles of three different sodas. “me” Molly laughed helping him empty the packed bags. “popcorn, Dots, Reese's, Chips,” Choi listed off before looking at Her shaking his head. “hey, its depressing being ready to go out for the night only to find out you are going nowhere, I need to binge” She said laughing as she opened the bag of chips. Choi reached in his hand and pulled a chip out munching on it. “I won’t complain, these are my favorite” He said walking off to the living area. Molly went to his cabinets and pulled out bowls and put the popcorn in the microwave.
♠ ♠ ♠
I had no good ideas for a title lol. I mean geez. If you think of a better one let me know I will change it and credit you for it here!