The Bright Side of a Full Moon

Chapter One

Remus Lupin had always been a secluded person, even when we had been in school. I had only ever seen him associating with four other people; James Potter, Sirius Black, Peter Pettigrew, and occasionally Lily Evans. I knew Sirius through his brother- Regulus.

Regulus and I had both started out education at Hogwarts in the year 1972, and we were both sorted into Slytherin house. Sirius and his friends were a year ahead of us, and unlike the rest of the Black family, he was in Gryffindor house. I still remember the day his family found out he had been sorted into that house. His mother was absolutely furious. Went on yelling about it for weeks.

My brother, Evan, was in the same year as them, and my parents were overjoyed when he was sorted into Slytherin. Even more so when I joined him.

My family had what I referred to as 'pure-blood mania', a preference for only wizard families with the purest wizard blood. I didn't happen to share this with them. My dear friend Regulus and his family had this preference as well- except for Sirius.

This was the cause of their mother once again yelling for days on end, and curse her eldest son's name. I was unfortunately there visiting Regulus when she did so.

Upon being sorted into Slytherin, Regulus and I were taken under the wing of a group of older students. One of which just so happened to be my brother, Evan Rosier. A group that also included students such as Wilkes, Avery, Mulciber, and even Severus Snape. They were all aspiring to be Death Eaters in the future. Not to mention, from what I could tell, it was expected of them by their families. I couldn't even imagine doing such a thing.

I had always known that Regulus admired Voldemort in a way; but I never though he's act upon that admiration. Nevertheless I still considered them all my friends even though I didn't share their beliefs.

Severus, I had noticed, had quite the liking to the Dark Arts class, and excelled greatly at potions. I could tell his skills with potions was great whenever I heard Professor Slughorn praising him on more than one occasion to all his students.

Regulus had quickly made it onto the Slytherin house quidditch team as a seeker. I was so proud of him for it, as was Sirius. Also, Regulus and I were both invited into the Slug Club by our head of house, and potions teacher; Professor Slughorn. My brother was very unhappy that I had gotten into the club when he hadn't.

The Slug Club was the sole reason I met and befriended a girl one year older than myself. Her name was Lily Evans.

She had been Severus' friend as well. Though, I never bothered to ask about their falling out as it was none of my business. My friendship with the res head girl caused many other Slytherin students to ridicule and pick on me, saying that I was betraying my family for associating with her- even my brother called me a blood traitor.

Though, sharp-witted Lily had an equally sharp tongue, and was quick to stop up and defend me whenever she saw fit. It was though her that I first met Remus Lupin, along with the rest of them of course. I still remember the day she introduced me. 'Aries, this is the ever so arrogant James Potter, the Prefect Remus Lupin, and of course you know Sirius already'. I had been so worried that they were going to reject me for being a Slytherin; but I couldn't bring myself to look away from Remus that day.

Even sitting down, I could tell he was tall enough to tower over myself when standing. His skin was pale, his eyes was a depressingly dull shade of blue- like he was sick- and you could faintly see three scars running across his face when in the right light. His brown hair was pushed back out of his face.

He, of course, paid me no attention as he was focused on what Potter was saying.

That was the day I became an outcast not only to the other Slytherin students, but to my family as well. Evan had written to our father about my newest group of friends, and that ordeal ended with a howler one early morning.

The howler's screamed filled the Great Hall, causing everyone to look at me. He screamed and shouted about how I was a disgrace not only to my family but to all wizards. He also said a few choice words about Lily. I was sure she wouldn't want to be my friend anymore.

Yet, she and Sirius were the ones to come after me and tell me that everything was going to be okay. Even though, deep down inside I couldn't help but feel like they were wrong. Something inside of me was telling me that things were only about to get worse, before they would ever start to get better for any of us.
♠ ♠ ♠
Aries Nyx