Status: Active

Heartbeat

Chapter Two - Jacob

Patrol had been uneventful all night. Jacob had been running for hours by the time Quil met up with him. They ran together for a little while, the chocolate brown wolf staying just behind the russet one. Eventually Jacob left Quil by himself and began to make his way back to his father's house. The wind ruffled his fur as he bounded through the forest at top speed.

Sometimes, Jacob stopped by First Beach after his patrols. He liked the quietness, and the way the breeze off the water smelled of salt. He hadn't been planning to stop by the beach on this particular night. Jacob was exhausted and wanted nothing more than to go home and sleep. He intended to speed straight past the beach but as he neared it something stopped him.

He felt pulled by some invisible force, physically unable to pass the beach by. Jacob padded quietly to the edge of the trees and peered out at the shoreline. He had excellent vision in his human form, but in his wolf form it was something extraordinary even at night. He saw a young woman, chestnut curls cascading down her back, sitting in the sand and his breath caught in his throat.

It was as though the world had stopped spinning and they were the only two left standing. Jacob felt the inexplicable need to be closer to the mystery girl who sat quietly under the bright moon. He took a step forward without even realizing it and a twig crunched beneath his oversized paw. The girl turned, her green eyes dancing as she scanned the woods for signs of life. Jacob's heart thumped in his chest as her eyes flickered across his hiding spot. His paws seemed to be moving of their own accord again, bringing him another step closer.

He needed to be closer to her, needed it more than he'd ever needed anything in his life. Jacob shuddered and his russet fur disappeared as he phased back into his human form. He pulled his beat up jean shorts on and stepped out from the brush. The girl watched curiously as Jacob made his way toward her. She squinted into the darkness, trying to see him better. Jacob didn't need to squint. He could see the confusion in her emerald eyes, the way her plump lips were drawn up in a line, and the way she absentmindedly rubbed her right wrist with her left thumb.

Jacob had never seen anyone so beautiful before. He closed the distance between them without taking his eyes off of her. He had thought standing directly in front of her as he was would silence the voice in his head that was screaming for her but he was wrong. Surprisingly, she had not yet spoken. She simply watched him.

He found himself reaching out to her, his large hand cupping her soft cheek. She flinched and took a step back. Jacob wanted to tell her it was okay, that he wouldn't hurt her, but he couldn't find the words. She narrowed her eyes at him in warning and then stopped, a flicker of recognition evident in her facial expression. That was impossible though. If Jacob had ever met her before, surely he would remember.

"Take a picture Jake," her voice was hoarse but full of attitude, "It'll last longer."

He stood, rooted to the spot, unable to move as she ran away from him. She knew his name. He had no idea how, but she knew his name. Now he needed to know hers.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I got one subscriber which means at least one person out there wanted more.
Hope you like it. I usually don't update so fast I have a couple chapters already written so I figured I put this up and see if anyone was interested.

Do you like or dislike the idea of the chapters alternating between Breeze and Jake?