Status: I suck at descriptions. I hope there are some Labyrinth fans out there that enjoy this fic. Comment/Subscribe for more!

The Goblin King's Bride

Happy Birthday, Sarah!

The birds were chirping loudly from the trees as they finally emerged from their winter locations, it was spring at last. Lillian took in a deep breath of the fresh spring air, the smell of flowers wafting in her nostrils. It made her smile to be under the bright blue sky, with no clouds as far as the eye could see. She was about to visit her cousin Sarah in the mental ward and knew how the smile would instantly be knocked off her face when she was in the presence of her younger cousin. It was Sarah’s birthday and she promised her mother that she would visit her younger cousin who she was once close to. Sarah had been in here for a year; psychosis, that’s what the doctors said. It broke Lillian’s heart to hear Sarah go on and on about having to save Toby from the Goblin King and how it was her own fault for wishing him away. Sarah was quite the normal teenager before she dabbled in drugs. That’s what the whole family assumed happened. Sarah was very adamant about not having taken any drugs beside the drugged peach that the Goblin King gave her. She just hoped Sarah was medicated enough to act like a normal person.

Lillian lit a quick cigarette to puff away her anxieties before finally stubbing it out with her foot, taking her shades off and wandering into the hospital.

There was a short, pudgy brunette woman with large glasses sitting at the front desk, “Can I help you, miss?”

“I’m here to see Sarah Williams.” Lilly said, noticing the concerned glance the lady at the desk gave her. “Is she alright?”

The lady stood up quickly and began to lead Lilly through the locked doors to where the patients were kept, “Oh yes, I believe she is in good spirits today, the poor girl. She will be happy to see you, I’m sure,” She stopped in front of one of the very last rooms, “Here you are. Have a nice visit.”

Lilly didn’t hear anything coming from the other side of the door. Maybe she was asleep. That would be lucky for Lilly, she still visited technically, and Sarah was just unconscious. That would get her mom off her back.

“Ugh,” Lilly groaned, “Let’s do this.”
She knocked on the door once, twice, three times.

“Sarah? It’s your cousin, Lilly.” She said warily with her ear up to the door.

“Lilly?!” A voice squealed from the other side, “Come in! Please come in! Lilly, I can’t believe you’re here.”

Lilly smiled. Sarah seemed happy, maybe this wouldn’t be so bad after all.

She opened the door to find Sarah sitting cross-legged on her small hospital bed, surrounded by her stuffed animals. She reached her arms out towards Lilly, “Cousin!” She shouted enthusiastically.

Lilly embraced her tightly; it had been too long since she’d visited the younger girl. They hugged for what seemed like forever, Lilly wasn’t sure how to weasel her way out of the hug. Then she remembered the small bear she had brought with her. She reached into her purse, forcing Sarah’s arms to drop, and pulled out a pink and white Teddy. There wasn’t anything special about it, Lilly knew Sarah would love it though.

“Is that for me?” Sarah asked excitedly.

Lilly nodded and handed the small bear to her cousin, “Happy birthday!”

“Oh Lilly, thank you!” She hugged it to her tightly, “I think I’ll call her Adelaide.”

Lilly wasn’t sure where she got the name from. Sarah always gave her stuffed toys strange names, but she nodded nevertheless and patted Sarah’s knee, “She looks just like an Adelaide, good job.”

Sarah continued to stare at the bear. “Tell me, Lillian, what’s new in your life? How are the children?”

“They’re doing well. Henry is in his first year of Kindergarten-“

“And Eloise?” Sarah interrupted, asking about Lilly’s youngest child.
“She’s a baby, still doing baby things like chewing on things, crying-“

“Crying?!” Sarah gasped in horror and the sweet, friendly eyes of the younger girl became dark. Lilly could tell that she’d just lost her. “Toby was crying when I wished him away. Then he was gone, he vanished, a- and I-I saved him.”

Lilly wasn’t sure what to do to bring Sarah back to the present. She poked her head out the door to find a nurse while Sarah babbled in the background. Something about the Goblin King looking like David Bowie. Lilly caught the eye of a male nurse and motioned to him.

“He was going to turn Toby into a goblin. He would’ve too if it weren’t for my friends, they helped me Lilly. They helped me get him back.” Lilly sat in her spot next to Sarah and held onto her hand, making Sarah jump and look over at Lilly confusedly. Her eyes were wide with fear, “I thought you were him.”

“Who?” Lilly asked, figuring it may be a good thing to push her to get information out.

“Jareth. The Goblin King.” Sarah whispered as if he were in the room with them.

At last the male nurse walked in, “What’s going on in here, Ms. Sarah?”

“They stole my baby brother!” Sarah screamed, lobbing a stuffed bear at the nurse, “THEY STOLE HIM AND NO ONE BELIEVES ME!”

Stuffed animals were pelting the nurse, but he turned to Lilly and gave her the look that told her it was time to go. She sighed, gathering up her things, and slithering her way out of the room as more nurses rushed in.

Lilly cursed herself for triggering the young girl. She should’ve known that using the word ‘crying’ wasn’t the best idea.
♠ ♠ ♠
My therapist told me to write for an hour a day. I wasn't sure whether to write a David Bowie fan fiction or a Labyrinth fic, then I had an idea for a Labyrinth story, so I'm trying my hand at it. Comment/Rec/Subscribe :) Let me know what you think!