Somewhere Between Living and Dead

AFTER: Dead Woman Breathing

“Mrs. Williams, I’m Detective Johnson and I have a few questions to ask,” she states while propped against the doorway flicking through pages in a manila folder.

“Ben.” I say looking past the detective and into the empty hallway behind her. “Where is Ben?”

“Your husband will be here shortly but in the meantime I have a few questions.” Detective Johnson steps into the room soundlessly shutting the door behind her.

“Oh.” I reply placing my hand on my forehead and resting my elbow on the table as the pounding in my head hastens and the room begins shifting. “I—I think I should wait for Ben.”

“Time is of the essence right now.” She pauses momentarily as she takes a seat across from me. “This is very important.”

I nod my head, swallowing back the lump in my throat. “Okay but my memory has been foggy since...” Once again I find myself lost, jumbled and incapable of finding a memory to support my statement.

“It’s okay Sonja, we’ll take it slow." She response sincerely. "How about we start off with where have you been all this time?”

“What do you mean?” I reply, wrapping my arms around my shaking body as the pounding and spinning becomes worse. “Ben didn’t report me as missing?”

“Mrs. Williams your death was ruled a suicide months ago.”
♠ ♠ ♠
unedited