Somewhere Between Living and Dead

BEFORE: Walking Dead Woman

“Sorry I’m late.” Ben pauses giving a quick kiss to the top of my head. “An emergency came up at work.” As Ben walks around to the other side of the table, I catch the faint smell of perfume.

‘I just got here myself.” Forcing a smile, I ask, “What emergency?”

“Sonja please don’t start.” Ben replies in an irritated tone, removing his glasses and pinching the bridge of his nose. “I just want to have a relaxing dinner with my wife.”

“Excuse me,” I harshly hiss back, “I didn’t know inquiring about my husband’s day would be such a crime. “

“Inquiring?” He barks catching the attention of a few people in the restaurant. Noticing their stares, he leans closer and in a lower voice continues. “All you ever do anymore is interrogate me. I’m tired of having to watch every word I say. It’s exhausting.”

“Exhausting.” I repeat with an even voice. “Your right Ben. I’m sorry.”

“Good.” He gives my hand a squeeze before turning his attention to the menu. Without missing a beat he says, “Now let’s eat. I’m famished.”

“I’m sorry.” I begin again indifferently while flicking through the menu pages. “I didn’t realize fucking an intern was such exhausting work.”

“So that’s what this is all about.” Ben carefully shuts the menu while raising an eyebrow at my statement. “I imagine you’ll be divorcing me.”

I shake my head while forcing a laugh to mask how unnerving his cold dismissive demeanor is. “No,” I simply reply. “Not now, not ever.”

His face remains completely neutral, besides the twitching of his jaw, the only sign of his anger. “Be reasonable Sonja. We both know that I’m not in love with you.”

Although his words sting, I muster up the courage for the final play. “I’m not a fool Ben. I know you wanted me to find out about the affair so I would divorce you and your money would be safe.” A wide grin spreads across my face as I grab my purse and stand. “But baby, till death do us part.”

With his face turning red in rage, through clenched teeth Ben hisses, “You're going to pay for this.”

Although my smile has vanished as a result of his threat striking a nerve, I lean forward, look directly into his eyes and give a daunting laugh, “Try your best.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Not sure how to feel about this chapter.