Status: Next chapter coming soon! :)

Avalanche Warning

The Call

'Bzz, bzz'

Twenty year old Garrett Alzner dug into his pocket, in search of his phone. Pulling it out, the young hockey player was surprised to see who was calling.

"Sakic..." he murmured under his breath.

"Garrett, glad you answered. How would you like to drop what you're doing and come meet us in California?" the familiar voice wasted no time on introductions, jumping straight to the point.

Glancing to the chair beside him, Garrett realized that his roommate Troy Bourke was picking up on the entire conversation. He stood up to shake hands as Garrett finalized the travel plans and hung up the phone.

"Good job man, congratulations. You're gonna kill it up there." he assured the young enforcer whom he'd played the past three seasons with.

The two had played together on the San Antonio Rampage, the American Hockey League affiliate of the NHL's Colorado Avalanche. Now that the Av's were in playoffs, his services were required as the rough and tough player the city of San Antonio had come to know and love over the past three seasons.

Garrett ran to his room to pack his bag, in anticipation of the trip. His flight was set to leave in just over two hours, so there was no time to waste.

**********

"Ladies and gentlemen, we are now arriving in Los Angeles, local time Four PM." the announcement went off in the cabin of the large plane, shaking Garrett from his slumber.

The past few hours had been a whirlwind, and he was happy that the traveling was over, at least for the time being.

As the plane landed, he was one of the first ones off, rushing for baggage claim. There were already posters hung all through the airport promoting the Av's first round series against the Los Angeles Kings. The Kings had already taken game One, in a close battle, and game Two was scheduled to be played the next afternoon.

Garrett saw his bag and made a sprint for the baggage claim conveyor belt. He'd packed light, only bringing three custom Bauer sticks, a carry on overnight bag, and his black hockey bag proudly displaying the Rampage and Avalanche's logos on either side.

As he picked up his sticks and bag, he could feel the eyes on him. The people taking note of who he was, and why he was here. The city had been overcome by a hockey craze ever since the hometown team had won the President's Trophy for the most regular season points, and they were ready to see the final seeded Avalanche get blown away.

Garrett began the trek through the large baggage claim room to the doors, opening them to find his charter driver waiting.

He sighed. This was it. Los Angeles was ready.

**********

"Garrett, this is Carl." Patrick Roy wasted no time with his introductions as Garrett was escorted into the hotel lobby. "You'll be rooming together on the road, and you'll be staying at Carl's house back in Denver after tomorrow."

Garrett shook the extended hand of the blonde man he recognized to be Carl Soderberg.

"Good to have you on board." Soderberg said through a thick Swedish accent. "I'll show you to our room."

Garrett hoisted his bag back onto his shoulder and followed the man toward the elevator.

It took only ten minutes to get settled in the room, putting down his bag for the equipment staff to take in the hall.

"Time for dinner." Carl gave him a toothy grin, before leading him back down to the lobby.

The team was assembling in the lobby, waiting for the short bus ride to whatever restaurant was tonight's Colorado Avalanche hangout.

Garrett was introduced to the team one by one, but could barely remember half the people he met. Of course most of them he'd seen on TV or at the Avalanche's training camps, but there were a few new faces he couldn't put a finger on.

"Alright boys, load up!" called one of the equipment managers, coming through the doors into the lobby and gesturing behind him to the massive bus parked in waiting.

Garrett and Carl got up together and headed out to board the bus. It was a warm night in LA, and there was a crowd of people collected to watch the players leave the hotel. Hockey was a much bigger deal here in LA than it was in Texas, and Garrett was overcome with excitement. Sure, he'd played three weeks for the Avalanche last season, but he'd never suited up for a playoffs game, and certainly never one with this much coverage.

As the bus filled, he glanced out the tinted window and gazed at the people passing by. The competition would be tough tomorrow, but for tonight all was well.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading! This is just the first chapter to give you a little taste of this story, there will be more updates soon, with much more story added. If you enjoyed, stick around for that!