Status: Completed flash fiction; going into a collection.

Moonlit Masquerade

Moonlit Masquerade

The full moon hangs high above my head in the warm summer evening. A cool breeze rustles the branches of the willow trees, the reflection of the moon in a natural pool the only form of light. Other than the wind, the grove is silent. I’ve been coming here since I discovered it when I was eight years old; ten years ago. I never told anyone, not even my sister, of its location.

I sit at the water’s edge; carefully trailing my fingers along its surface and watching the tiny ripples dissipate as quickly as they’re formed.

My long black dress conceals my pale legs, but leaves my shoulders and back bare to the fingers of the wind and the willows. My hair in its up-do pulls at my scalp and begs to be let down. The ornate mask that I wear in compliance with the anonymous hostess’ request hides my face from it all.
A few weeks ago, my sister and I each got a small, manila envelope with intricate gold designs etched into its soft surface. There was no return or mailing address—only our names on the front, so we assumed that the sender or one of their friends had hand delivered them to us. The recipient names and the invitations themselves were written in a flowing, old-fashioned calligraphy that I didn’t recognize.

There was a long, explanatory letter, but most of it was just filler. The actual information that we pulled from it was that someone had rented the hall in the old mansion just outside of town, which the municipality took over quite some time ago. The owners passed away when I was three, and their children did not want to memories trapped within their old home’s walls. The entire house can now be rented by companies and families who can afford it for various functions. One of the girls in my current graduating class was hosting a masquerade as a parting gift for everyone, and had invited my sister along with me in the hopes that I would be more comfortable with her there and agree to attend. She did not say who she was.

Serah, of course was extremely excited. Since when do freshmen get invited to senior parties? She begged me to take her, knowing that I wouldn’t deny her this rite of passage. Her friends would be impressed by the invitation alone, but if she actually went? That would be a completely different story altogether.

We ordered matching masks and low-cost-rich-look dresses online. She waited excitedly while I dreaded the day. I’m an introvert, unlike Serah.

***

I carefully pull the pins from my flaming hair, allowing it to tumble around my shoulders in a cascade of waves, tinted silver by the moonlight.

I shouldn’t be out in the grove, but I couldn’t stay at the masquerade any longer. I’ve never been one for parties.

Especially not when the point of the party was to mock the masked attendees, all the while unaware of which attendee you were mocking.

The exchange had started by talking about my sister, who (as lucky as she is) was not able to attend tonight due to the stomach flu. The conversation then swayed to a gentleman that I had never met before. The person being ridiculed continued to change time and again until it got to me. The man who began the insults didn’t even realize that I was the one standing right next to him; the woman that he’d been flirting with all night.

They started with my boyfriend:

“A guy like him could do so much better than her.”

“Why would he go out with her in the first place? She’s not nearly pretty enough.”

“He’s an idiot, that’s why.”

Before moving on to how I look:

“She’s as pale as a vampire!”

“Have you seen her eyes when she doesn’t have her contacts in? She’s such a freak!”

“She needs to lose weight; like, a lot of weight.”

Not wanting to hear any more, I’d left in a hurry and ran for the comfort and safety of the grove. The rest of the insults I could handle for a while, but there’s only one person who’s seen my eyes: my best friend Claire. I guess she wasn’t my best friend after all.

This is my happy place, especially at night under the glow of the silver moon. I sigh contentedly, untying my mask and letting it rest on the soft grass beside me. Sick of wearing them and getting a new pair tomorrow anyways, I carefully take out my brown contacts and set them on top of it. My bright purple eyes reflect back at me on the calm surface of the pool.

I stare at my reflection. I’ve always liked my purple eyes, although most people think they’re weird. I haven’t even let Erick see me without my contacts in because of this; I don’t want him to change his mind about me because he’s dating “the freak”.

“There you are!” I hear his voice suddenly behind me. Before I can try to hide my eyes somehow, his arms are around me. I give in and let him hold me; his warmth surrounding me. He knew it was me that left; he picked me up tonight and knew what I looked like.

He came looking for me. I smile softly against his shirt, breathing in the sweet scent of him. I always feel safe in his arms.

“How did you find me?” I whisper.

“Honestly, I didn’t think I was going to. I’ve been coming here for a long time, so when I couldn’t find you, I decided to come wait here for a while. I figured that you’d call me eventually; I am your way home, after all,” He replies, and I can hear his smile in his velvety voice. “I have a question for you,” He starts, and I know where this is going. “What did that girl mean about your eyes?”

I don’t want to tell him. I want to put my contacts back in, say it’s nothing, and go home. But I can’t do that, because I don’t want to lie to him. So, instead of saying anything, I look up at him and let him look into my eyes.

His breath catches in his throat. He doesn’t have his mask on, and I can see the startled look in his eyes. His long blonde hair gets caught in the wind, but still I can see his beautiful, ice-blue eyes. I try to grab for my contacts, almost certain that he thinks I’m a freak just like everyone else does; but he knocks them away into the water. I turn back to face him, and he’s smiling at me again.

“You’re even more beautiful without them,” he murmurs, cupping my cheek in his large hand and kissing me softly. I tangle my fingers in his hair and rest my head against his shoulder, grateful for his comfort.

“Don’t you ever listen to the people back at the party, okay? They don’t know what beauty is.” His breath tickles my ear, and I laugh.

“Does anyone?” I question, pulling just far enough away that I can lean in and kiss him again.

“I do,” he says; a big, goofy grin on his face, “it’s you.” I feel my cheeks grow hot as blood rushes to colour them bright red.

That is so corny. I think with a grin as I lean back against his chest.

But lying with him, looking up at the breath-taking full moon, I can almost believe that it’s true.
In my favourite place—our place—and in my loving boyfriend’s arms, I fall asleep; leaving behind all thoughts of the insulting masquerade. He’ll wake me up when it’s time to leave.