‹ Prequel: Black Sheep

The Other Woman

Chapter Twelve

“We should go for a walk.” Harry had turned up on my doorstep.
“Don’t you have somewhere else to be?” I joked. Inside I was over the moon that Harry had driven from London just to see me.
“I probably do, but I’m here now.” He fluttered his eyelashes and pouted, jokingly of course. I couldn’t help but laugh and shake my head at the lovable goof stood on my doorstep.
“You better come in then.” I went straight to the kitchen, remembering Harry’s love of a cup of tea on a cold day. “And about this walk, I just don’t think-”
“You could do with the fresh air.” I sighed, looking outside at the snow gently fluttering to the ground, as it had for the past day or so. I knew he was right but something in my mind was screaming at me that leaving the house would be a terrible idea. Ignoring the alarm, I searched for my comfy brown boots. If I was going to venture outside I’d at least have to be warm.
….
After Lara and I sorted ourselves, we hatched a plan. As soon as I had seen Clarissa all over Harry, I knew that I had competition. Lara and I walked back into the marquee to utter carnage. Skippy had his head in his hands and half a bottle of whiskey by him; a group of women crowded around Lara’s cousin who was seething, her face like a bulldog chewing a wasp. Worst of all, Harry was sat with Clarissa: her crying on his shoulder, gripping him tight as she sobbed.
“Don’t say a word to her. She wants you to cause a scene.” Lara hugged me tight to her side.
“She’s back!” Skippy looked up. He had obviously been crying. He tripped over himself trying to get to Lara as quickly as he could.
“I’m so sorry baby.” He mumbled as he scrambled to her, pulling her tight to him. Smiling at the pair, I found Harry. He looked up when he heard me coming closer and raised his eyebrows as if to say ‘I couldn't help it’. He hadn’t seen me outside the marquee watching Clarissa all over him, and he sure as hell hadn’t seen how upset I was at him ignoring me all day in place of her. I sat next to him, Clarissa still clinging around his waist.
“I’m sorry.” He mouthed,, his hand around a glass of whiskey. I smiled, going along with the plan that Lara and I had set. I rested my chin on his shoulder.
“Sometimes,” I started, stroking up and down his forearm that rested on the table. His shirt sleeve rolled up to just before his elbow. “Sometimes, you can be too nice.” I saw his lips pull into a smirk, before he chuckled and watched the whiskey swirl around in his glass. “How about you come and dance with me?” The band in the corner had started to play when we first arrived and looked quite disheartened that nobody was dancing. He patted Clarissa’s arm that clung around his middle. She looked up, her eye make up in streaks down her face.
“We’re going for a dance.” Harry said. He looked as if he was sick of her, as did all the other guests. He stood up, pulling me with him. The lead singer of the wedding band mumbled something into the microphone before murdering James Blunt’s ‘Bonfire Heart’. The terrible rendition was made even worse by the fact that James himself was sat by the bar as a wedding guest. Harry held my hand and dragged me to the makeshift dance floor. We were closely followed by other couples who had seemingly made up. His hands stroked my sides and danced.
“I can’t wait to get back to that suite.” He whispered, pulling me close to him. His hands snaked around my side and rested on my lower back.
“Not just yet though.” I held onto his broad shoulders and squeezed myself closer to him. I could see Clarissa stood at the bar, searching for someone, then she caught my eye. I just smiled back.
….
“So after we finish the new school in Lesoto, we start in Botswana.” Harry held onto Alfie’s lead as we walked slowly through the village, careful to not slip.
“I would love to go to Botswana.” I said as we neared the village pub. “Should we go in?” I asked, nodding towards ‘The Horse and Jockey’. He looked sceptical. “Just for one?”
…..
I giggled as we tipsily made out way to our suite. “I just want to see what you’ve got on under that dress.” Harry pushed himself against my back and I could feel that my teasing had payed off. As we got to the door of our room, I felt his arms snake around my hips and his hands try to tease their way between my thighs, lifting the front of my dress. “Hurry up.” He whispered, nibbling my neck. As the door opened, I almost tripped over as Harry was forcing me between himself and the solid, locked door. I could still feel him against my back and his hands on my thighs.
“Give me one second. I’ll just get changed.” His eyes lit up as I searched through the drawers. I found what I was looking for and scrambled my way into the bathroom. Still secretly seething, I put on my pajamas, brushed my hair into two ponytails and brushed my teeth.
“Sweetheart?” I heard Harry ask “Will you be much longer?” I had a mouth full of toothpaste. Quickly spitting it out and wiping my face I left the bathroom. I found Harry lounging on the bed in just his boxers. Any other time I would be glad of the opportunity, but revenge was much more deserved. After he chose to spend the day Clarissa instead of me, knowing that she would be all over him. I went over to my side of the bed and plugged my phone in, then got into bed, comfy in the duvets. Harry just looked confused. I kissed his cheek before snuggling in the covers.
“What?” He was gobsmacked. “You can’t just…” I had really knocked him for six.
“I can’t just what?” I switched the bedside light off, leaving Harry speechless and hard.