‹ Prequel: Black Sheep

The Other Woman

Chapter Sixteen

I sat on the train on the way home and let the weight of the situation settle. I had lost my job because of a rumour that I was Harry’s mistress. The rumour itself was, in part, true but I wasn’t his mistress. I wasn’t his anything. I refused to be his ‘bit on the side’ or someone he occasionally has sex with behind his wife’s back. Now I was unemployed. Unemployed and single. I had texted Lara as soon as I found a seat on the train. She soon replied, agreeing to visit that evening. I felt like once again, everything had just crumbled within a few days. I wanted to just curl up in my coat and sob my heart out, but the other train-dwellers were suspicious already. I rested my face against the train window and stared out as the housing estates turned to the suburbs and the suburbs turned to fields.

“I just think you should come with me.” Harry had a fitted blue suit on and tied his tie in the mirror. I was still in bed.
“But I’m not invited.” I replied. As much as I loved Sentebale, I didn’t fancy spending my sunday morning in the office.
“I’m sure I can blag you an invite.” He mumbled with his tongue out, concentrating on his tie. I pulled myself from under the duvet to hug him from behind.
“I think I’m fine. And I have to finish your itineraries.” I took over and tied his tie for him. He span round, holding me close against him.
“You could do them in the office.” He tried to bargain with me.
“Dressed like this?” I asked, raising my eyebrow.
“Well I certainly wouldn’t complain.” His eyes dropped to take in my naked body.

I sat down with a sigh and Alfie jumped on the sofa next to me. The snow had started falling again. I watched it for a while through the bay window as the snowflakes joined together and fell in lumps. At that time of year I was usually prepared and excited for christmas, but I just didn’t have the heart for it. I felt like I had the wind knocked out of my sails the second Harry got back in touch. I reached for my laptop and started making christmas card lists and present ideas. With Alfie growling at the snow falling outside.
“Do you want to go out?” I left my laptop to one side and found his lead, ready to take him out. He padded his way to the door, barking at the front door. ‘Probably the snow’ I thought, pulling on my boots. Alfie still barked and barked, scratching at the door. I clipped his lead onto his collar and buttoned my coat up, opening the front door. As I picked up the puppy’s lead and stood up, I noticed that it wasn’t the snow that Alfie was barking at, it was someone at the door.

“Do you want to know what I’m thinking?”
“That you’re really late for your meeting now.” Harry’s suit jacket hadn’t moved from the hanger and his shirt was pulled open, his tie lost. His fingers traced over my waist and over my belly.
“I’m thinking about the future.”
“As in the near future where you go to work late?” I lay on my back watching him, watching his fingers.
“As in our future.” His eyes looked up into mine. “Our future together.” My breath suddenly caught. It felt like I couldn’t breathe but at the same time I was breathing in pure oxygen. I felt like I was drowning but flying at the same time. I couldn’t help but let a smile grow on my face.
“So what were you thinking?”
“I was imagining you and me in a house. Maybe a stone cottage somewhere. Not too big but with enough garden space for our dogs.”
“Dogs?” I questioned, knowing how out of character it was for Harry to talk about ‘us’.
“Two. Maybe a labrador and something smaller like a Westie. And the gardens have white and peach roses, maybe cuttings from daddy’s garden.”
“You seem to have this all planned.” My instinct was to retreat into myself but I felt safe enough to wrap my arm around his waist and look up at his face, my chin resting on his chin.
“I haven’t even got to the best bit yet!”
“The best bit?” I questioned, laughing as his excitement.
“I couldn’t possibly tell you.” He kissed me, his hand pushing me onto my back, resting gently, just on my belly.
….
“I didn’t know if you wanted to talk to anyone.” It was obvious that Max was in two minds about coming to visit uninvited. I had caught him off guard when I opened the door.
“No, I’m OK thanks.” I didn’t need to make this any more complicated.
“I’m sorry for what happened but you don’t need to block me out.” He leaned on the bonnet of his car as I locked the door.
“I’m not blocking you out at all.” I took Alfie’s lead in my hand and took off down the snow covered lane.
“You obviously are Rebecca!” He spat my name as if it were dirt. I carried on walking, Max following a few steps behind. “Or do you not answer to your name anymore? Do you answer to what everyone calls you? Should I call you slut?”
“Max don’t-”
“Whore?”
“Max, can you not-”
“Bitch?”
“THAT IS ENOUGH!” I stopped and turned around to face him. “Did I bruise your male ego at all? Because I really don’t understand why you’re so upset.” I could sense Mrs Bobbins (and most of the village) were watching, their curtains slowly separating and the wisps of a curled blue rinse popping up between them.
“Because you cheated.” He mumbled, looking at his feet.
“We weren’t even together Max.” I took a step towards him, but he stepped back. “We just-”
“Got drunk and fucked?” He offered quietly. I nodded in agreement. “I guess.” He played with the snow with the toe of his shoe.
“I’m sorry if you thought that-” He put his hand up to stop me.
“It’s OK” He turned and started walking away. “It’s fine”.