Status: in progress

Shanghai

Ch 3

It was Monday and a week has passed since Kellin was followed by the two mysterious med. Justin stayed with him up until last night after Kellin insisted he’d be fine now. No one had followed him and he hasn’t seen anyone or anything suspicious around the neighborhood.

Right now, he was walking to his next class and he was ready to go home and sleep. Why he never urged to switch to afternoon classes never really crossed his mind but hey, it is what it is. He walked into his classroom and sat against the wall, in the middle section. He doodled mindlessly as more students walked in, until he was disturbed.

“Hey, anyone sitting here?” Kellin looked up and saw a guy staring at him.

“Uh, no, you can sit here.” Kellin said before moving his backpack off the chair. “You’re Mike right?”

“Yeah and you’re Kellin?” Mike asked, receiving a nod. “Cool. So do you understand anything that we’ve learned?”

“Not really. I have notes if you want to review them but I still don’t understand what I’ve written down.”

“It’s cool, don’t worry. Wanna study in the library later?”

“Can I bring a friend?”

“Yeah, sure. The more the merrier. As long as you don’t mind I bring two more too?”

“Sure, you’re the one planning the whole study group thing anyways.”

“Hello class!” said the professor as he walked in. “Lets get started. Open your notebooks and have a pen or pencil ready to write.” Kellin whined a bit, making Mike smile and shake his head.

He really did not want to do this.

*

“How’s it going little brother?” Vic said when he got a surprise call from Mike.

”I need to know how long I should be doing tis.” Mike replied.

“No hello brother?, or how are you? Damn Michael, mama didn’t raise us like this.”

”Vic.” Mike growled. ”Just answer me. How long?”

“Why should I tell you after the way you’re talking to me, huh? You think just because you’re my brother I’ll tolerate it? No, no Mikey; Remember who was there for you, the only person who ever had your back. You will respect me because without me, you may not be here.”

On the other side of the line, Mike was fuming with anger; the kind of anger that made you cry, shake and hate with all your might. ”I just want to know how to play my part.” Mike said calmly.

“You have a month. If you gain his trust before the month is over, good. If you think you need more than a month, let me know as soon as possible.” With that, Vic hung up.

He stood from his chair and went to pour himself alcohol. Taking a swig from the bottle, sighing after swallowing it. He loved Mike but sometimes he could be a pain in the ass. He shook his head and closed the bottle, pushing himself away from the desk when there was a knock.

“Vic.” He heard Jaime say through the door. “You in here buddy?”

“Come in!” Vic shouted. Jaime peeked his head in first then walked in. “Want anything to drink.”

“Nah I’m good. Just came to tell you that Tone and I are headed over to Mike’s college.”

“What, why?” Vic said crossing his arms over his chest.

“Didn’t he tell you?”

“Obviously not since I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“He wants us to go, posing as students, to check this kid out.”

“And he didn’t plan to run this by me?” Vic asked, already beginning to fume.

“Do you not want us to go then?” Jaime asked, already used to Vic’s rage.

After a few deep breaths, Vic said, “Go. And when you see him, tell him he needs to run this shit by me next time.”

“Ok, sure. We’re gonna start going then.” Jaime walked out the room, closing the door behind him.

“Fucking Mike.” Vic murmured opening the bottle once again. He needed to get his brother in his right mind.

*

“So my friend can’t come over.” Kellin said as he sat down next to Mike in the library. “I forgot that today is his two year anniversary with his girlfriend and he had dinner plans with her.”

“It’s cool. My friends are on their way so hopefully you guys get along. They’re really cool.” A few minutes later, two guys walked up to their table. One of them had spikey hair, a manly appearance but with a friendly smile graced on his face; the other guy had short hair with a boyish face and a body to match.

“Hey Mikey!” the spikey haired man said.

“hey guys, this is my friend Kellin. Kellin, this is Jaime,” he said, pointing to the spike haired man. “And this is Tony.” He said pointing to the other guy.

“I’ve never seen you guys around before.” Kellin said, eyeing then suspiciously.

“Tone is still in high school and Himes is about to graduate.” Mike said as the other two men sat down at the table.

“Where your books?”

“I didn’t have class today.” Jaime said. “And Tony didn’t want to bring his things. So what are you guys gonna study?”

“We need to go over Kellin’s notes for English comp.” Mike said. “Think you can help us?”

“Haven’t taken that class in a while dude. You guys study while me and Tone go around and read some book. C’mon Tony.” They got up and disappeared in between the shelves.

“Let’s get to it then.” Mike said, opening his notebook.

A few hours later, after pushing through basic essay writing skills and presentation, they finished.

“What time is it?” Kellin asked rubbing is face.

“Seven o’clock.”

“Shit!” Kellin gasped, gathering his things and throwing them into his old, faded backpack.

“Everything ok?”

“Yeah, I just need to get home right now.” Kellin looked out the window; it was cloudy and rainy. “Fuck.” He murmured under his breath.

“You’re walking?” Mike asked.

“Yeah. I don't have money for the bus right now.”

“If you want, we can give you a ride.”

“it’s cool. I-I can walk.”

“How far do you live?”

“Not that far.”

“It’s raining.”

“I’ll be fine.”

“Kellin, we can give you ride. Jaime won’t mind. It’s gonna get dark soon.”

“You sure?”

“Yeah, c’mon. Lets go find them.” Once they found Jaime and Tony, flicking a paper ball at each other, they walked out the library and to the car. Kellin gave Jaime his address and the drive there was a bit silent. “Damn Kellin you do not live close to school. It’s been an hour.”

“Sorry but I tried to tell you and you didn’t wanna listen.”

“Hey, it’s cool. We live around here too.” Jaime said as they turned onto Kellin street. “Which house is it?”

“You can just leave me here and I’ll walk the rest of the way.”

“Kellin, just tell me where you live. It won’t hurt us to go a few feet more. You never know what can happen between here and your place.”

“Yeah.” Kellin mumbled; getting a flashback of the two mysterious men who had chased him. “Here.” He said, making Jaime stop. “Thanks again for the ride.” With that, Kellin walked out the car and into his house.

*

Mike was breathing heavily, head turned to the right with a hand print on his cheek. He turned his head slowly glaring at his older brother. Jaime and Tony stood in the room in silence and awkwardness.

“Mira me bien.” Vic growled. “Next time you plan something without telling me, te va ir peor. Tony, go with Mike to get pizza.”

The two young men walked out the room quietly.

“Don’t you think you went a little too harsh on him Vic?” Jaime asked, pouring them some tequila. “You didn’t have to smack him.” He handed Vic the glass, sipping his.

"Are you some lawyer now? You speak up for people or what? He knows he needs to run shit by me before going through with it. It’s for safety reasons.”

“And why didn’t you tell him that instead of hitting him? He’s your younger brother; your only brother. What are you gonna do if he leaves because of the way you treat him? “

“He’s not leaving. Ever.” Vic whispered, drinking half of the golden liquid. “Unless,” he said louder, “You know something and you’re not telling me.”

“Are you insinuating that I’m keeping secrets?”

“Yes. Your loyalty is with me, Jaime; not Mike.”

“My loyalty lays with both of you. Vic, the way you’re treating him will most likely end up making him distance himself from you.”

“Lets get one thing clear here; he needs me more than I need him. I gave him food, clothes, a roof over his head. I was there for him when no one else was. He’s not leaving because he wouldn’t have anywhere to go.”

Jaime shook his head, finishing his drink. “Don’t say I didn’t warn you Vic. You can either treat Mikey right and give him a reason to stay or keep treating him the way you do and push him away. Your choice.” Jaime left the glass on the desk and walked out the room, leaving Vic standing there.

“He needs me more than I need him.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Tbh Vic needs to ctfo