The Lure of a Vampire

A Boring Day

School went by in a monotonous drag of disgusted sneers, sharp insults, and failed tests but Chastity tried to pay no mind. She had long ago become numb their to their cruel treatment and in a few years it would all be over and she would never have to see any of them again.

She rode the city bus downtown to her after school job at the morgue—thanks to a city-funded outreach program to help troubled youths. Chastity was glad the morgue had been an option, everything else was boring; library assistant, court file clerk, trash removal. She really enjoyed the job even though it wasn't exactly what she wanted to be doing. She wasn’t allowed to do anything more than paperwork and filing but it couldn’t be helped until she was older. Mr. Rawlings, the mortician, liked her and Chastity knew once she could he would let her help with more hands on activities— like overseeing an autopsy.

Chastity worked in silence; Mr. Rawlings was deep into his work when she arrived and she knew better than to bother him so she went about cleaning up and reading over a few files that Mr. Rawlings left open. She loved reading about the nitty gritty details, and even if she didn't understand all the medical talk in them, death fascinated her.

When the night came to an end she left a note for Mr. Rawlings that she would be back the next day, grabbed her backpack out from under the desk and left; barely catching the last bus for her route. Her stop came quickly, but home was still a ways off. She had to walk two miles from the bus stop to get to her house, but she didn't mind.

Chastity enjoyed her long walks, even if the air was beginning to turn chilly. It gave her time to think and clear her head before she walked into the berating environment of her home. It gave her time to stare at the starry night sky and wish for a better life; gave her time to promise herself that she would get out of town the second she could and make something of herself.

Until then, she had to bide her time.

When Chastity rounded the corner for her block she froze. Her house was only one down from the corner and she had a clear view of the driveway to see that an unfamiliar car parked in the driveway.

Curiosity overtaking her, Chastity power walked up the sidewalk and to her house, taking the stairs in one step she burst through the front door and stopped dead in her tracks.