The Lure of a Vampire

The (Not So) Grand Escape

Chastity paced anxiously as other people in the bus terminal did the same. The god-send bus trip to Oregon was delayed by two hours due to a flat tire as the bus entered the city and that's how long it was going to take for the replacement bus to go through safety checks and gas up.

Fear was setting in, she had missed school and they undoubtedly called her father to let him know she skipped out. On top of the call, her "fiancé" would have long been at her house to get her. Chastity waited to hear about a runaway or missing kid, she waited for the sirens and police and silently prayed neither would come.

Chastity feared what would happen to her for running and knew the police wouldn't believe her crazy story or forced arranged marriage.

"Good news folks!" The clerk called from the purchase desk. "The bus will be here in twenty minutes and you'll be out of here and on the road within the hour!"

The people cheered but Chastity couldn't help but let fear eat her up. She couldn't celebrate until she was out of town and actually on her way to her destination.

With that damning thought, the front door of the bus depot opened and Max walked in. His suit and tie in place looking just as impeccable and handsome as he had the night before but his features were not nice and gentle. Anger radiated off him like heat from an oven and when his eyes locked on Chastity she felt the fire within them scorching her skin.

Panicking, Chastity grabbed her bags and looked for an escape even as he glided over to her, his steps sure and driven. She lunged towards the back of the building, towards the bathrooms where she had seen an emergency exit earlier.

Chastity all but ran to the back, crashing through the back door and setting off the alarm. She didn't dare stop though, the anger in Max's eyes terrified Chastity and she knew if he caught her she would regret it.

Circling the back of the building in a dead run, Chastity assumed too soon that she was safe.

Colliding face first into the solid wall of a masculine chest she let out a horrified scream, using her backpack as a weapon, swinging it wildly as she tried to flail away.

Strong arms encircled her and Chastity as Max said. "Stop fighting me."

"No! Let me go! Someone help me, please!" Chastity screamed on the top of her lungs, praying someone would hear her frantic calls for help.

Chastity gasped and then cried out in shock as she was shoved backwards into a brick wall, her head smacking against the stone sharply. Max lowered himself to meet her eye to eye as he gritted out, "Stop screaming."

Chastity felt the welling tears in her eyes spill over onto her cheeks, "Please stop," she cried hysterically. "Just let me go, please. I don't want to be sold." Chastity tried to look pleadingly at him, trying to get him to sympathize with her but his face was blurred with her tears. Though she saw the puzzled look spread across her face, "Please."

Long moments passed between them as Chastity continued to sob, trying to pull away from Max. Finally, he soothed a gentle hand against her hair, "Hush, sweet girl. Calm down."

"I-I can't," Chastity wailed, her chest and throat tight as cries continued to escape her. Her breath coming in wheezing breaths as her fingers and lips began to tingle, the world beginning to tilt on its axis as she became dizzy, "Please just let me go."

Max let out an exaggerated sigh before pegging her with a serious stare, "You will do as I ordered. Calm your breathing." Immediately, as if his words were magic she felt the pressure lifting and her head clearing. Her breath caught on a single hitched breath before evening out, "Good girl." He praised as he stroked her cheek gently. "Now I think you need to rest a bit. Close your eyes and sleep."

Not of her own volition her eyes became heavy, her body swaying as she fought against the sudden weight of tiredness, "No. What did you do?" She asked frantically as she fought against the downward drag of her eyes.

"Hush, now. Just listen to me . You will feel much better when you've awoken."

The last thing Chastity could recall before the world closed in on her was the strong arms encircling her once more and lifting her against a solid chest.