Black Cat

There's a black mark on her soul

I am the son And the heir, Of a shyness that is criminally vulgar, I am the son and heir, Of nothing in particular, I walk around my room wearing my bra and underwear as The Smiths play softly through the speakers. Tonight is my birthday eve and like every year since we were 18, Orion and I are going to spend my birthday in Admiral Arms. This is one tradition that hasn’t changed with the coming and going of lovers and friends. This is one tradition I can find comfort in.

As I pull out one of my many black dresses, a box catches my eye. This box has been in my closet since I was 18; a box that holds the answers to so many unasked questions and doubt. This box contains the only connections to my former life; a life before Mom and Dad adopted me.

“Is this going to be the year you actually open it?” Orion’s voice snaps me out of my trance. “I’ve been curious about what’s in it. Maybe there is a picture of them or even a blanket they wrapped you up in or something sentimental like that. That box can hold so many answers.”

“I highly doubt the reason why they gave me up is hidden in that box.” I scoff as I throw on my dress before turning around and motioning Orion to zip me up. “It’s been seven years since Mom and Dad gave me that box if I haven’t opened it up by now, I’ll never will.”

Orion goes over and picks up the box. He gives me a look before handing it over. “There is nothing in this box that’ll change who you are. There is nothing to lose if you open it up. But whether you open it or not, I’ll support you no matter what; you know that.” I just offer him a smile before he turns around and walks out of my room.

A sigh escapes my lips as I look down at the box in my hands. Once upon a time I dreamt of opening the box and all my questions have answers and I can finally be a peace with why they did what they did. But now? I realize I was always at peace, I didn’t need answers to justify why I am they way I am. I always figured this was box was filled with nothing but false promises and white lies. Even if their names are engraved in this box, I don’t think this box holds the answers I’m looking for.

Just as I’m about to put the box back, Evander prances into the room; eyes going wide and crazy when he looks at the box. I can’t help to the chuckle at the black cat as I place the box down on the bed before I kneel down in front of him, “don’t worry. I won’t be opening this box tonight. You can relax, soon this box won’t even be here. Tomorrow I’m going to start a new tradition; I’m not going to look back. I’m going to get rid of the things holding me back; this includes a box from my biological parents that I refuse to look at any longer.” Evander gives me a sad meow causing a frown to appear on my lips. “Don’t worry, you’re safe. You’ll always have a home here. Now it’s time for me to finish getting ready; tonight is the start of something new…”

**

“Okay be good Yessy and Evander!” I say to the cats as they sleep on the couch. Evander is the only one to look up at me and meow. “I expect this place in the same condition as we’re leaving it, understood?”

“Come on Cherry, they’re cats. What’s the worst that could happen?” Orion whines. “Can we just leave now before Arms is packed?”

“Fine.” I laugh. “Be good.” I say to the cats once more before exiting the apartment with Orion.

“Ready Party Girl?” Orion smiles as he locks the doors. “What’s your first drink going to be?”

“After the year I’ve had, a double of Jameson.” I reply with a laugh. “But honestly anything will be fine with you by my side.”

“Forever your sidekick.” He laughs. “Come on, let’s go. Danni and her new boyfriend are probably wondering where we are.”

“It worries me that we don’t know much about him,” I sigh. “All I know is that his name is Fenrir and that alone scares me. It’s not a common name.”

“And Orion is?” He laughs. “I know name meanings freak you out so what does Fenrir mean?”

“In Old Norse Mythology, Fenrir is one of Loki’s sons and he’s the bringer of Ragnarok; which is their version of the end of times.”

“I’m sure Danni’s new boyfriend isn’t going to bring the end of times, so just relax.”

“I just can’t help but to feel uneasy whenever he’s brought up.” I admit with a shudder. “I’m probably just a little bit crazy, I guess.”

“A shot of Jameson should cure this.” Orion assures me. “Don’t let anything get to you tonight. This is the eve of your 25th birthday; it should be a joyous event.”

“You’re right, it should be a joyous time.” I smile. “Let’s get out of here and paint the town red. You only turn 25 once…”
♠ ♠ ♠
lyric credit: How Soon is Now? by The Smiths
chapter title credit: Horns by Bryce Fox

Cherry

Comment&subscribe? What would you guys like to see happen? Also there is a soundtrack to this story if you are interested in listening to you. Click Here